stacking cpu fans

laserbeam

Limp Gawd
Can additional cooling performance be gained by stacking fans on top of the CPU cooler? I think I read somewhere about someone who tried this and found that it wasn't unduely loud but the cooling benefits were wortwhile. Anyone considered this?

I say try it for yourself and see. You will immeditly notice a Loud whining sound, that much is for sure.

I dont think that the cooling bennifits outweigh the extreme loudness

I've done this, I noticed increased airpressure but the airflow was the same. I think that's scientifically what happens, you have the same cubic feet of air because the intake area is the same, but two times the pressure.

This is beneficial because axial fans are really poor performers and lose much of their power when facing any kind of resistance at all, especially when having to push through the fins of a heatsink and increased pressure will greatly benefit the amount of air that actually goes through your heatsink fins.

It's easy to stack, just use case screws and a micro screwdrivers to screw two fans together, they mate perfectly. Just make sure both are pointing the same direction. You can wire both fan power inputs into one 3-pin connector, although I don't know how this will affect current draw and tachometers, does anybody know? Is that safe for your system? I have done this from time to time.

stacked5ow.jpg

Back