Stalker Clear Sky.

I use the rig in my sig, everything on high/medium (no AA, DX9) and I'm getting 40-80 fps. I get 30ish in the camp.

Plays fine.

Just in case no ones aware, theres a tweak guide out for clear sky now. Reading through it gave me a great understanding on the impact of each individual setting and how they differ from one another. I thought that dx10 with 2560x1600 was out of the question but after getting the right settings im now running an average of 60ish fps with no loss in image quality. I had no idea how much the "wet surface" setting improved the look of the weather.

Anyways heres the link: http://www.tweakguides.com/ClearSky_1.html

Yes, the word EXCEPT makes a huge difference because your sig shows 4870X2 which is a BIG difference over 8800gtx so yes, there is something else going on and it's called a slower video card than you.

No, i'm currently running an 8800GTX, haven't installed the 4870 x2.

So far I am enjoying the game except!!
Bleeding. You bleed ALL the time. It's hard to keep bandages in stock.
Enemy accuracy vs your accuracy. Bandits shooting me with the basic pistol from 75+ yards away with amazing accuracy yet my la85 or upped accuracy ak74 cant take them down with less than 10 rounds at 25 yards.

I don't have that much of a problem with bleeding. I got some basic suit as a reward, just one up from the starting jacket.

I have about thirty bandages and I don't really find bleeds to be that much of a problem, unless you get a proper hit - the screen shakes about a bit, you get a distinct impact noise and the bleed icon goes very bright - I usually hit each square bracket once, and I'm all fine.

As for accuracy: are you compensating for bullet drop? you can see it more clearly when you get the vintorez or something, but you can shaft people in the face with the pistols easily, if you get used to the deviation. Just aim up a bit at long ranges.

Anyone else stuck in the swamp? Twice now I've cleared the bandit base at the farmhouse, and then I have to go attack another objective, and my buddies at the farmhouse get killed. When I go to retake the farmhouse I can clear the area of all enemies, and the objective does not complete. I cannot progress. I can kill every other bandit camp on the map, and they just respawn because the farmhouse is "contested" or some crap.

My clear sky cohorts just sit in the other various areas and don't ever come take the objective, even though it current displays "Hold the area until reinforcments arrive". Aside from this, I'm enjoying it so far. Not quite as atmospheric as SoC, but I can't complain.

Anyone else run into this bug? Any way to fix it? I don't feel like playing the last 3 hours of the game over AGAIN.

Run back to the place where you helped them kill the boars, the first mission at the beginning of swap. That fixed it for me.

It started to piss me off. Getting headshots from 100+ yards. And when finally with lots of effort I kill them all, I get nothing for that. Still running on my old suit. Reached the point where the bandits took my items and money, but got the items back, but not the money.. Still going the same, trying to defend some camp and shit.. I want new weapons, and and new places. Looks like I am going through the same Shadow of Chernobyl places and killing the same dudes..

Looks like I am going through the same Shadow of Chernobyl places and killing the same dudes..

That's what I was surprised about after getting out of the Bog, but then I realized that its the same city, so much will be the same.

That's what I was surprised about after getting out of the Bog, but then I realized that its the same city, so much will be the same.

Yep, it wouldn't be Stalker unless it was set in and around the Zone of Alienation. I wonder what the developers are planning for the third one.

It started to piss me off. Getting headshots from 100+ yards. And when finally with lots of effort I kill them all, I get nothing for that. Still running on my old suit. Reached the point where the bandits took my items and money, but got the items back, but not the money.. Still going the same, trying to defend some camp and shit.. I want new weapons, and and new places. Looks like I am going through the same Shadow of Chernobyl places and killing the same dudes..

You eventually do, but got a wase to go.

Things are getting a little better. I am part of the Duty now. I got better suit, but still not the best. The performance decreased dramatically after talking to Sakharov. Weird.

I joined Duty as well. Mainly because they give you some pretty good equipment and I was in dire straights at the time. I finally just wiped out Freedom's base and I've got some serious loot to sell right now.

I'm in the red forest now with very good armor and a bunch of decent weapons. I still bleed ALL the time. Almost every hit sends me into a bleeding state. Also, I am having guns that are in perfect condition jamming ALL the time, specially the LA's. 2 shots, jam, 3 shots jam. I would think a gun in perfect condition would not do this.

I just went Freedom in the hopes I can make some money and get some much better stuff. People are still extremely tough to kill and headshots still don't always kill. It's not a bullet drop issue or anything, the AI is jst strong and has amazing accuracy all the time. I still get railed by pistols and shotguns from behind cover from 75 yards away while the enemy is jst running along shooting.

I'm in the red forest now with very good armor and a bunch of decent weapons. I still bleed ALL the time. Almost every hit sends me into a bleeding state. Also, I am having guns that are in perfect condition jamming ALL the time, specially the LA's. 2 shots, jam, 3 shots jam. I would think a gun in perfect condition would not do this.

Artifact hunting is the answer, there's at least one artifact which helps with bleeding. Also there are artifacts that regenerate your health, even to the point that you can bleed all the time and have maximum health. Concerning the weapons, it's in their description - some of them are less reliable than others, though it's greatly exaggerated.

Anyhow, I've just finished the game. In the end I've used an AK in assault configuration (max rate of fire upgrade, GP-30 and PSO-1), Vintorez and SEVA suit. The game felt like a good expansion pack to SoC. IMO they used a little too much content from the original, but it was really damn good anyway. There's a shitload of bugs though, but they didn't ruin the immersion for me. Oh, and I actually liked the idea of invisible artifacts. Hunting for the better ones was a bitch without SEVA suit :)

Bottom line - if you liked (or loved, just like me ;) ) SoC, go ahead and try Clear Sky.

What do you recommend? Stalker or Clear Sky... I have only played the original for 5 minutes lol. Reviews seem to say Stalker was a better game strangely enough...

Both great games!

I decided not to join Duty, I like freedom better. lol.

Artifact hunting FTW, although I have not found any "good" ones, they all seem to hurt you more than help. (+2/3 to radiation) I have one that I've been keeping for looting thou, does +10 max weight, but +3 radiation :( So i have to constantly pound vodka lol. (In true Russian form)

What do you recommend? Stalker or Clear Sky... I have only played the original for 5 minutes lol. Reviews seem to say Stalker was a better game strangely enough...

Play Shadow of Chernobyl. Patch it up to 1.4. Use Float32. Play vanilla first then Oblivion lost mod and by that time maybe Clear Sky might be in a truly playable condition. However, Far Cry 2 will be out by then and you will probably want to play that first.......then maybe play Clear Sky hoping it is patched up.

I'm a Stalker freak and I love the games but Clear Sky just aint ready.

I don´t have time to pay games with and without mods... I do it all in one run as complete as possible. so should I run oblivion or is that like 10x harder requiring you to have run it through one time already lol

I am also having friendship issues didnt anyone else run into this? I am part of Freedom and some of the outposts into or out of the dar kvalley where freedom base is will ALWAYS attack me for no reason when leaving/entering.

People are still extremely tough to kill and headshots still don't always kill. It's not a bullet drop issue or anything, the AI is jst strong and has amazing accuracy all the time. I still get railed by pistols and shotguns from behind cover from 75 yards away while the enemy is jst running along shooting.
Run away, hide behind something, and sneak around to flank from another direction. Reposition if the enemy is concealed by bushes. Don't even bother pulling the trigger unless you are behind heavy cover and are shooting from prone with sights. Get a scope. Buy some armor with higher bulletproof rating.

Or just turn down the difficulty. I turned it down from Stalker to Novice today and having a MUCH better time playing this game.

I had to reload my game from the very beginning and I babysat to make sure that the Machine Yard stayed in our hands. That solved my problem. Now I'm having a different problem though. Arrggh..

*Spoilers*!! I'm past Limansk, in the following area after the Helicopter where I have to hold out in the room for a minute while my allies are coming to back me up. I can survive just fine, but right when they show up, if I do *anything* it seems, Stalker will do two things. A) Crash to my lovely vista desktop. & B) Proceed to then Bluescreen vista, and reboot the computer.

I've had it do it a few times during the game, nothing big. But it has now done it in this same spot three times in a row now. Ugh. Parts of this game made me wonder if they did any thorough testing. SoC was buggy, but not as buggy as this! While it's stalker, and I do love it (especially the leaf-lovin' Freedom guys) the new areas are a sham. The only one that seems to be well done is the swamp, the rest are rather dull and uninspiring. Nothing one couldn't find in other games. Although Red Forest does have a bit of fun to it. I've gotta say though, I really *love* the method they now have for finding artifacts. Much much cooler.

I don't suppose anyone else has made it that far or beaten it yet? This seems to bear a striking resemblance to Crysis for me, where I was unable to defeat the last boss due to a bug. I'm guessing I'm no more than 1 hour of gameplay from the end, but with this CTD/BSOD happening whenever I press a key, I am doubtful that I will make it there!

Well, here goes again...

Make that four times now. Even loaded a bit further back, and worked my way up (almost) the the same area it crashed before.

What do I get? A CTD and a big old bluescreen that says

"PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES".

Super, well, I guess it's time to fireup warhead, maybe I can finish that one!

Well ive played clear sky for a few hours now, ive died even more than I did playing the original, the NPCs seem smarter now, they also seem to have aim bots, and can shoot you in the face while moving, and you can crouch aiming with the sights, and not hit shit, but that will get better as I saw in the last one. Playing this game, the faction wars seem to be what SoC was missing, although it had the building blocks for, was different sides warring against eachother.

The graphics look better, in every respect, and I haven't even played it in DX10 mode yet (need moar memory), the storyline seems a bit better, although still lacking, with obvious glitches and problems with the lip motions of the NPCs, and obviously thick (but funny) accents, and not quite 100% understanding of the language.

It feels like they have improved every aspect of the game, but it isn't quite "finished", but still quite worth the 40 dollars.

One thing however, THEY PUT A FUCKING GRENADE INDICATOR IN THE FUCKING GAME!. The one thing that makes console FPS games stand out as being inferior, a grenade indicator. I have played first person shooters now for almost 10 years, and I have never had to have a graphic indicate to me where the grenade was, because both with my ears listening, and with my eyes, could I see a grenade being thrown, or if I didn't see it, hear it, and be able to run away. It seems like with this indicator, I am dying all the time, like the grenade throws are a little too perfect, but the grenade indicator doesn't help the situation any.

If there is any way to mod it out, I would like to know, grenade indicators have no place in a modern first person shooter, especially any shooter attempting to make the game close to real life as possible.

I don´t have time to pay games with and without mods... I do it all in one run as complete as possible. so should I run oblivion or is that like 10x harder requiring you to have run it through one time already lol

Then personally, I would play the real vanilla S.T.A.L.K.E.R. patched to 1.4 and add a little program called Float32 which helps with the performance.

Pay attention as you go and get the real ending.

A true classic.

FrozenLiquidity - well I've beaten the game and it didn't give me a single BSOD, though there were a few CTDs and a messed up quicksave. I had no problems in the hospital area.

Concerning the grenades - yeah, it's kinda strange when they almost always land right on your feet ;)

FrozenLiquidity - well I've beaten the game and it didn't give me a single BSOD, though there were a few CTDs and a messed up quicksave. I had no problems in the hospital area.

Concerning the grenades - yeah, it's kinda strange when they almost always land right on your feet ;)

Yet your grenades can do the same and people survive. I am finding grenades (of hand thrown type) to be completely usless. 3 guys crouched behind something, grenade lands right next to them and goes boom, they all get up and run away.

Faction war is kind of cheesed, I'm freedom going after duty and they have endless waves of people yet I get Zero back up and if I do get backup they suck so bad I always have to bail them out and retake the holding.

I still can't believe that no one else has the bleeding issues I do, I bleed every time I get shot even with really really good armor.

Still have to sprint past my own factions boarder guards as they will ALWAYS open fire on me.What great friends they are.

So far, that game hasn't crashed once, but I do get a some crazy graphic mess up when it is raining and I either go into the menu and back to the game, or move to a different area. Has to do something with the full dx10 lighting and/or some combination of other settings.

Bigbacon,
I bleed constantly as well. Doesn't really bother me though, well up until now at least. I always had a plethora of bandages. I haven't had friendly factions shoot at me, and i'm not part of a faction atm.

Although, one of the stalkers did take my pistol one time, because i didn't put it away while trying to talk to him.

Me throwing grenades = teh suck. AI = hax. Grenades landing between my feet FTL.

Although, I must say, i've become fond of the grenade launcher, love watching people go flying.

I just got past the swamps & see the face of difficulty. Emerging at the military checkpoint means I'll get owned everytime, while showing up behind the train tracks means that I'll have to deal with grumpy stalkers. I chose the 2nd but so far I've been irked about their super accurate fire & grenade throwing . I hope GSC patches those issues since I hate playing against super soldier AI. I'm done with those days of ramping up the AI difficulty in FPSes, only to be met by me dying from merely looking around. I do love intelligent AI but not precognitive AI constructs that know my every move...

The grenade throwing is rediculous. They can throw grenades farther than you can launch them from the M203 or other grenade launchers which is absolute bullshit.

I just got past the swamps & see the face of difficulty. Emerging at the military checkpoint means I'll get owned everytime, while showing up behind the train tracks means that I'll have to deal with grumpy stalkers. I chose the 2nd but so far I've been irked about their super accurate fire & grenade throwing . I hope GSC patches those issues since I hate playing against super soldier AI. I'm done with those days of ramping up the AI difficulty in FPSes, only to be met by me dying from merely looking around. I do love intelligent AI but not precognitive AI constructs that know my every move...

Here is what I did, ignore the stalkers and go to the far east side of the train bridge. You can go up the enbankment and jump the fence and just casualy walk to cordon town. You won't have to fight or deal with anyone. (I didnt anyway) I didn't have to pay money then either. Just make sure you are pretty far east because there are people on the tracks.

Here is what I did, ignore the stalkers and go to the far east side of the train bridge. You can go up the enbankment and jump the fence and just casual walk to cordon town. You won't have to fight or deal with anyone. (I didnt anyway) I didn't have to pay money then either. Just make sure you are pretty far east because there are people on the tracks.

Good tip, I wish i new that a day ago. I just ran like hell down the hill and watched my armor get full of holes.

Here is what I did, ignore the stalkers and go to the far east side of the train bridge. You can go up the enbankment and jump the fence and just casualy walk to cordon town. You won't have to fight or deal with anyone. (I didnt anyway) I didn't have to pay money then either. Just make sure you are pretty far east because there are people on the tracks.

I found that out, but I had to reload due to an episode with them. I got with 50 yards of a scout on the main passage & they all turned red. The question I have is, will Sidorovich tell them to let me through on my way back up to the stalker camp?

It should be OK after you talk with Sidorovich. To be sure, try to help stalker Wolf in the village near Sidorovich's bunker.

BTW, I've used maybe 5-8 hand grenades during the whole game. In most of the situations switching from rifle to grenade and back took waaaay too much time. If you could use grenades without putting your main weapon down they could be actually useful.

Anyone found the RPG-7?

Back