STALKER - How Did You Play & Which Ending Did You Get?

ballpoint

Gawd
SPOILERS FOR STALKER

I recently made my third attempt to play through STALKER. This time I got all the way through to an actual ending and developer credits.

My style of play was to mainly stick to the core plot. I never joined Duty or Freedom. I only took one or two quests outside of the main plot. When I played the game previously I spent more time doing quests and the sense of meandering is what kept me from getting through the game (that, and one really bad hard disk failure.)

My ending was to ask the wish granter to "make the zone disappear".. I was shown a glimmering vision of myself in expansive fields where the zone used to be... then it came back to reality and my eyes were glazed over white. Couldn't figure out if I had just been made blind, or if I had been turned into a zombie. I guess I got this ending because in sticking to the main quest you're sort of rushing through the game, which must mean you want out of the zone.

It's also sort of meta in that it's like the developers saying "oh you want to rush through and not see everything we put in the game? Then you might as well be blind."

I figure I'd have gotten a better ending if I had returned a couple more flash drives to learn about Strelok, but once I backtracked to the Trader a couple times for stuff like that I just started completing the main quests one after another.

Great game, by the way. Might be my favourite game released in 2007, and that's saying something!

I horded weapons and ammo and kept selling them and had thousands of monies by the end.

My ending was money based, a bolt falls from the top of the building and lands next to you, but from your characters point of view it looks like a gold coin. Then it looks like it's raining money for a short while before part of the roof colapses on your head.

I think you get that if you earnt too much money during the game, like a LOT of money. Makes me feel greedy :(

There a total of 7 endings. 5 "false" & 2 true. I've played the game by doing as many side quests as possible & completing the 2 true endings.

It all begins with finding Strelok's flash drive... :)

I got to see three different endings. The two "real" endings and a bogus one.

And I don't think I played it any different than most people. I did a lot of side missions to get money and buy new equipment. I also lost a bit of time going back to places I left stuff I couldn't carry, in order to sell them and make even more money.

And I agree with you OP. STALKER was definitely on of my top 2007 games aswell. Hopefully Clear Sky lives up to it, though the reviews are not that good...

The reviews weren't great for STALKER initially. Now that its fully patched & has a ton of mod support, its a high quality game to many. I think Clear Sky will progress the same way.

I saved my game just before the Wish Granter and continued on. I saved my game at the monolith to get the different endings. Once I got the true endings, I went back to the WG to get the endings available to me. Awesome game. Love the cleverness of the wish endings.

The reviews weren't great for STALKER initially. Now that its fully patched & has a ton of mod support, its a high quality game to many. I think Clear Sky will progress the same way.
Wouldn't go as far as to say 'fully' patched... :mad:

Eh, how so? I've played it through thoroughly & barely saw a glitch with 1.005.

I got two fake endings: "I want the zone to disappear" and the I'm rich ending. I also went through both the C-conscience (or whatever it was) endings.

By the way for those who haven't got the real endings, I would suggest doing so, as there is an additional level you go through at the end.

Hmm maybe I'll load one of my last savegames and backtrack to hand in the Flash drive with information about Strelok. Pretty sure you have to find\kill Strelok in order to get a real ending.

Haha... you have so much to learn about the storyline with that statement. The flash drive is just the beginning to the real story that you have yet to stumble upon.

I was another one who would say this to people. I played it across 2 different systems, 3 different video cards Windows XP then Vista 64. Never had a glitch with any version. Until now.........

After a few minutes of playing the game, it drops to ~10 fps. It is totally random. Pulling down the console and typing vid_restart brings fps back to normal. For a few minutes. Wash rinse repeat for the rest of the game. Also, if you ctrl-alt-del or tab out it restores it.

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&lang=en

It is problem #3. No known cure. :mad:

^^ Really? Awesome! This game rules.
Yeah, you've barely scratched the surface of the game. Play as a many side quests as you can & do the full quest line for real endings. You won't regret it. :D

I was another one who would say this to people. I played it across 2 different systems, 3 different video cards Windows XP then Vista 64. Never had a glitch with any version. Until now.........

After a few minutes of playing the game, it drops to ~10 fps. It is totally random. Pulling down the console and typing vid_restart brings fps back to normal. For a few minutes. Wash rinse repeat for the rest of the game. Also, if you ctrl-alt-del or tab out it restores it.

That's real strange. I know the feeling of futility (i.e. nvlddmkm.sys)...

^^ Really? Awesome! This game rules.

Yeah, if you took the time to play through to the end then you really owe it to yourself to go back and get the true ending. While I think the 5 false / 2 true endings set up is pretty clever, the only way to really get some sort of closure on the story is to get one of the true endings. You'll be glad you did. :D

I got the, 'I want to be rich' ending, bit fucked off with that as I thought I had done a lot of the side quests. I cheated and watched all of the endings on Youtube. SoC is a great game. One of the PC's all time classics.

I horded weapons and ammo and kept selling them and had thousands of monies by the end.

My ending was money based, a bolt falls from the top of the building and lands next to you, but from your characters point of view it looks like a gold coin. Then it looks like it's raining money for a short while before part of the roof colapses on your head.

I think you get that if you earnt too much money during the game, like a LOT of money. Makes me feel greedy :(

Thats the ending I got. Kinda pissed me off a bit. Making money is bad? I had too many glitches and bugs to want to play through it again.

Not even when your saved games were rendered useless after patching? Lucky you.

I attempted to play it on my two desktops. Both would BSOD randomly. Despite patching, reinstalling, reformatting etc. Brilliant game marred by piss poor execution. Heres hoping to a better Clear Sky experience.

Not even when your saved games were rendered useless after patching? Lucky you

My most recent playthrough had mods & the newest patch. Mods will always nullify any old game saves unless you have the specific ones you've used before. I just went with a new game & had smooth sailing.

I did the bonus level, got to the ending where he walks into a dark room with green lit chambers

I never read a walkthrough until after I had played through twice. Unfortunately... both were money endings.

yep

I'm excited to re-enter the world of Stalker. Here's to hoping for less bugs. However, in just casual strolling around the web looking at Clear Sky stuff, I've already seen 2 people with the random fps slowdown thing. :mad: Probably an X-Ray engine thing. But, with this game, you never know what your gonna get. CS could run like a scalded dog while SOC bogs after a few minutes and has to be re-started.

Definately will be down at Best Buy on release day.

I already bought mine off of Steam thinking it was going to be a Sept. 6th release. It was disappointing to see it bumped to the 15th. Then again, the weekend of the 6th was the weekend that I dropped a blower in my vette. Wouldn't have been fair to the car to be playing Clear Sky. :D

I got the "I want to see the zone disappear" ending. Thats the ending you get for helping people. I guess the good guy wants the zone and its evil to be gone.

I also played beyond that to destroy C-Conciousness.

Gamefaqs will tell you what you need to do to get each of the false endings.
My ending was to ask the wish granter to "make the zone disappear".. I was shown a glimmering vision of myself in expansive fields where the zone used to be... then it came back to reality and my eyes were glazed over white. Couldn't figure out if I had just been made blind, or if I had been turned into a zombie. I guess I got this ending because in sticking to the main quest you're sort of rushing through the game, which must mean you want out of the zone.
It is more of a cautionary zinger about being careful what you wish for. Your character does become blind after wishing the zone to disappear. In some ways you can read it that the Zone does disappear but screws you at the same time. If you get the true endings you will see there are other ways to read it. That's the ending I got and I thought it was pretty sweet in an open-ended post-apocalypse way.

Hmm maybe I'll load one of my last savegames and backtrack to hand in the Flash drive with information about Strelok. Pretty sure you have to find\kill Strelok in order to get a real ending.
The quest scripting breaks if you go too far without doing the other storyline path. If you haven't spoiled yourself I'd just wait until you played the game again, and make sure to hit the sewers and do those quests before continuing on the "main" path. If you already know what's going on (and as mentioned before, the latter sentence indicates that you don't) then there is a trick to break into a room in Pripyat that gives you the item you'll need in the Sarcophogus. See stalker.heroesradio.com for a video and explanation.

But really, just play it through again.

Nuts I got a "I wish that mankind would be controlled ending." and I thought that was it, so looks like I have to play through it again before clear sky, first time had to reinstall os.
Oh and on the bug front I changed motherboards from abit to biostar and even with fresh installs it would freeze up about once every hour, and the problem subsided once I switched back, and my friends e2180 with a biostar mobo stalker won't even start up, tried all the patches too.

Back