STALKER SLI Crash

ZMTToxics

Gawd
Hi there,

I just did sli for the first time with my 8600s. I found that STALKER ran extremely slow in sli mode, and eventually even caused a blue screen. All of my other current games (gears of war, ut3, supreme commander, etc) run great.

I can confirm its a sli issue because running in single gpu mode fixes all issues with the game. I believe I am running the second latest patch, I think I will try updating the game when I get home.

Any thoughts on the issue? Im using dynamic lights and such (high settings) for the game, running XP pro.

I was running it on a pair of 8800GTs not so long ago with zero problems with all settings maxed out. It was definitely faster with both cards enabled. I was running the latest NV drivers at the time (maybe 2 months ago, so they're probably still the current latest.) STALKER has been patched, but quite some time ago. I'm pretty sure it's 1.3 or 1.03, or something like that. (sorry I'm not much help with version info, I'm at work) Is it possible that once both cards are being utilized you're running into heat issues? The reason I say this is that I had a PC with two passively cooled 8600s in it. Once a game had been playing for a minute or two, they'd heat up the case (which had decent airflow even,) and they'd start slowing down, artifacting, and occasionally the game would stop working. I never got a blue-screen though. It's a possibility anyway. (I never played STALKER on that PC though.)

Welp, with some investigation, my second 8600 actually is faster then the first one (400mhrz on the shader) which is weird because they have the same part numbers.

So I dumped the bios off of both the cards to confirm, and I ended up modifying the slower cards bios to match the speeds of the new one.

This lead to a very noticable performance gain (3dmark went fron 8100 to 8700), however STALKER still crashes.

UT3, Gears of war, supreme commander, lost planet, and half life 2 all ran for hours with out over heating the cards (hottest they got was 61 C).

So, its not a speed thing, or a heat thing. I thought I had the profile right by forcing it to single gpu mode, but it still crashes.

Thoughts?

First reinstall video card drivers (mite as well reinstall the motherboard drivers while your at it), if not that, then reinstall stalker (get the latest patch)

What happens exactly when you get this crash, can you play then you hit a certain point and it crashes, or a certain map, or looking at a certain direction on a certain map?

Do you get "xray bugtrap" errors or does it just quit to desktop?

The crash is a blue screen of death with nv4_*.dll being the culprit (the nvidia drivers). At first it started off as I can't look at the fire, and now thats fine, its just after a bit of playing it crashes. The drivers are a fresh load, the mother board drivers are good too.

Thanks for the responses by the way!

Back