Standard for cable wiring??

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I am pulling about 80,000 feet of cat5 this summer at work and our boss keeps mentioning to me the need to follow the "bixie" standard. Or at least that is what it sounds like to me.

Has anyone heard of this standard? Or any other for rules and best practices when running cable in conduits, wire trays above ceilings, and such?

Never heard of "Bixie" or anything close being used to describe some standard for ethernet. Closest thing I can come up with is "B" for 568B...which is the much more popular of the 2 methods used for terminating ethernet cables.

lol, he probably means 'bicsi', check out their website here. as yeolde states, there are two standards for the colour coding you can use; namely a or b. i believe there is a general trend that one is used in the uk, and the other is used over the pond. in actual fact it doesn't really matter all that much which you use, so long as you use the same standard on both ends of the cable!

Yes, he definitely is talking about Bicsi--there is alot more to cable installation then pulling the cable.

Firestopping
Dressing, Slack, etc.
Cable Support Systems
Grounding Systems

Just to name a few...Bicsi training is a great step to build a career into cable installation. If your boss wants you to be Bicsi certified he should be footing the bill to get you trained ;)

Back