Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

flying games yes, flight sims not so much.

I don't think people are going to be too concerned about things like fine aileron trim and pedal based rudder control in full 3D zero gravity space combat.

Well not me anyway :p

I don't think people are going to be too concerned about things like fine aileron trim and pedal based rudder control in full 3D zero gravity space combat.

There's no way of knowing until the combat module is released...and even then physics will probably change in-game.

Odds are a console controller will be inferior in being fully free to move in 3 physical dimensions on any given space craft. More so for the more maneuverable craft.

flying games yes, flight sims not so much.

I actually found a 360 controller good for various WW2 flight sims. ONLY a controller might have been difficult because I did also have a keyboard which made life easier.

There's no way of knowing until the combat module is released...and even then physics will probably change in-game.

Odds are a console controller will be inferior in being fully free to move in 3 physical dimensions on any given space craft. More so for the more maneuverable craft.

Frankly, I'm still predicting a mouse to be the best input method for the more manoeuvrable craft :p But I definitely interested to try out the dogfighting module. Hangar for me was mostly "meh, whatever". Any news on when it's supposed to come out?

how many people are getting an avenger now that they said they are revising it? i am almost for sure going to switch my aurora LN for an avenger before the 26th. it's like a 300i but without the idiotic ladder/gullwing doors and the idiotic design for storing cargo and it looks better and has better cockpit position. :)

I think the controls would work well with a game like Star Citizen. My concern would be the overall lack of buttons. I have an X52 Pro, but it works terrible with games like HAWX or other basic games. I also don't want to wear it out on those games. :p

If I ever get Star Citizen I will see how it works with the 360 controller. It is collecting dust as is.

how many people are getting an avenger now that they said they are revising it? i am almost for sure going to switch my aurora LN for an avenger before the 26th. it's like a 300i but without the idiotic ladder/gullwing doors and the idiotic design for storing cargo and it looks better and has better cockpit position. :)

I think the Avenger is going to be pretty popular as it now seems to be the one of the best balance between looking cool and versatility for a single person crew at a reasonable price. As long as they jam a bed and toilet in there, I think it'll be sweet.

Isn't the Avenger like 2x the price of the Aurora, though? If it was like $10 or less more, I'd consider it, but not for $30+.

I dont disagree, I guess I was arguing semantics. but I dont think SC will be much of a flight sim, besides a bit of Newtonian physics and fuel management.

The avenger isn't long range flight though is it?

Afaik the 325a is the only one that seems suited toward a combat role while still sustaining long range flight and things with a living quarters.

The avenger/hornet are combat focused but no living quarters unless I have missed something.

Also the avenger I don't really like with it's "crunched" up front end look, it looks like someone flew it into a wall lol.

Afaik the 325a is the only one that seems suited toward a combat role while still sustaining long range flight and things with a living quarters.

The avenger/hornet are combat focused but no living quarters unless I have missed something.

Also the avenger I don't really like with it's "crunched" up front end look, it looks like someone flew it into a wall lol.

To quote myself from a page back.

It will have interior access between the cargo hold and the cockpit. I think it was last week's Wingman's Hangar episode where the devs said they would be re-doing the Avenger's interior based on a revision by some forum poster. I think it also had a bed as well.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/embed/RY-nnHMxZDo

Forum thread that the originator of the video created. You can skip to page 3 and see that his idea got the greenlight and it also links the WMH episode. https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ger-s-interior-and-now-the-exterior-aswell/p3

Also, that teal paint job on the Avenger is SICK

So it will eventually have interior access between cargo and cockpit along with a bed. The chin-mounted cannon is supposedly the most powerful starfighter weapon in the game since it drains a lot of your power to use it. It also has an excellent scanner package from being a retired police vessel and also has the "fastest computer memory" as well, whatever that means. Maybe it can scan stuff the quickest since police need to have access to information asap.

Isn't the Avenger like 2x the price of the Aurora, though? If it was like $10 or less more, I'd consider it, but not for $30+.

well i upgraded to the LN so that's $45 and the avenger is $75 so yeah it's a bit of a jump, but the avenger has twice the cargo space and a TR5 instead of TR3 so i think it will pay itself off pretty quickly. plus i hate the look of the aurora and i love the look of the avenger.

it isnt yet, but it will be, as chineseman said. the only reason i didnt get the avenger earlier was because of the cockpit style with no bed so not good for exploration. now that they are going to incorporate a bed and a walk-through to the cargo space i will get it. it also earns you the business hangar if im not mistaken which is pretty cool. the front isnt crunched, its just kinda bent downward. :) personally i hate the discombobulated aurora look and i hate the 300i because of its layout. it just makes no sense.

Isn't the 300 series interior supposed to be getting a rework as well? Thought I read that somewhere.

Is the bed part confirmed? I've only heard on Wingman that you'll be able to access the rear, didn't hear it'd have a bed though.
i hate the 300i because of its layout. it just makes no sense.
I agree. The 325A is basically the sort of ship I want, it's just stupidly laid out and doesn't even look all that good anyway.

Hmmm the Connie finally grew on me and I melted my Cutlass down for it. Still debating the Avenger, Connie was just more capable for what I want

Hmmm the Connie finally grew on me and I melted my Cutlass down for it. Still debating the Avenger, Connie was just more capable for what I want

Yeah, the Connie is a bit much for me, I love the look and feel of it, but realistically I think I'll struggle to crew it.

Is the bed part confirmed? I've only heard on Wingman that you'll be able to access the rear, didn't hear it'd have a bed though.
I agree. The 325A is basically the sort of ship I want, it's just stupidly laid out and doesn't even look all that good anyway.

Not sure about the bed. They didn't come outright and say it like they did regarding the interior pathway. I guess it depends on if they're going to copy that redesign 100% or just cherrypick some elements of it. They may leave the bed out though just so it doesn't encroach upon the Aurora and 300i roles.

I believe the Auorora/300i/Cutlass are gonna be the solo ships of choice with the Avenger filling in the niche of an old school boom-n-zoom vessel. That huge TR5 main thruster, heavily armored hull (probably second to the Hornet or maybe even more so), and sucky maneuvering thrusters means it'll probably go straight really fast but can't turn for crap. That's probably why lore-wise the police force is retiring the Avenger with the M50 which can probably fly circles around it.

Yeah, the Connie is a bit much for me, I love the look and feel of it, but realistically I think I'll struggle to crew it.

I might get a cheap Aurora package on top of my Hornet package to get a 2nd NPC to crew it. Either way I like the Connie as an assault ship/raider/transport much more than the Cutlass

I might get a cheap Aurora package on top of my Hornet package to get a 2nd NPC to crew it. Either way I like the Connie as an assault ship/raider/transport much more than the Cutlass

I think the Aurora and Connie can interchange parts so that'll make things easier.

I'm strongly leaning towards ditching my Freelancer and getting a Cutlass and adding an Aurora LX for exploration. The Cutlass looks like it'll be the jack-of-all-trades that'll fit my "can't decide what I want to do" thinking. :p

I'm strongly leaning towards ditching my Freelancer and getting a Cutlass and adding an Aurora LX for exploration. The Cutlass looks like it'll be the jack-of-all-trades that'll fit my "can't decide what I want to do" thinking. :p

The Freelancer comes with a jump engine.
It's really a matter of what you want to do. The Freelancer is less agile than the Cutlass but has a bigger power plant, bigger shields, and double the cargo capacity. In addition there may be decent variants down the road.

General Idris-P questions

It says you can dock 2 fighter class ships. 2 Hornets are bigger than 3 M50's, I wonder if the cargo space is dimension limited or number limited? I wonder an aurora, m50 and a Superhornet can fit in it?

When they release the Idris-P, will there be as many as there is demand, or a limited amount?

General Idris-P questions

It says you can dock 2 fighter class ships. 2 Hornets are bigger than 3 M50's, I wonder if the cargo space is dimension limited or number limited? I wonder an aurora, m50 and a Superhornet can fit in it?

When they release the Idris-P, will there be as many as there is demand, or a limited amount?

I think the Idris can carry 3 single-seater fighters. Originally they said 2 Super Hornets or 3 of any Hornet variation except the Super Hornet. Recently, they said they were going to change it to allow up to 3 Super Hornets.

The Idris-P sale will be limited in numbers and broken into 4-hour release windows over a 24 hour period to allow people in different time zones to have a chance at an Idris-P.

Last edited:
does anyone know what "upgrade space" means? i am debating between avenger and cutlass right now and it seems the 4 to 12 upgrade space stat is a pretty big difference, but i cant find ANYWHERE that anyone talks about what it is... any help is greatly appreciated. :)

I think the Idris can carry 3 single-seater fighters. Originally they said 2 Super Hornets or 3 of any Hornet variation except the Super Hornet. Recently, they said they were going to change it to allow up to 3 Super Hornets.

The Idris-P sale will be limited in numbers and broken into 4-hour release windows over a 24 hour period to allow people in different time zones to have a chance at an Idris-P.
^^Correct.
The Idris-P sale will consist of 4 chunks of 25 ships each to even out the number of Idrii already sold (150 M's and 50 P's).

does anyone know what "upgrade space" means? i am debating between avenger and cutlass right now and it seems the 4 to 12 upgrade space stat is a pretty big difference, but i cant find ANYWHERE that anyone talks about what it is... any help is greatly appreciated. :)

It's the number of hardpoints.
Expand the Hardpoints thingy on this page and it shows what class hardpoints are available for each ship:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

It's the number of hardpoints.
Expand the Hardpoints thingy on this page and it shows what class hardpoints are available for each ship:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

ok kept looking and found a little info, and upgrade space is not the same as hardpoints. look here and click on "Hardpoints & Upgrades". apparently you can use the upgrade slots to add armor, cargo space, avionics upgrades, and other not-weapons stuff. i think it's really unclear at this point how important these upgrade spaces will be, but they seem pretty useful to me.

Limited ship sale has begun.
JRsyTAm.jpg

350R package is more expensive for new backers ($135) so expect the same for all other limited ships. If people intend to buy something they better start contacting me now or you should be buying the stuff you want to melt now. If your package is not ready to melt I will not guarantee being able to process it for you. Paypal may be a better option but only with those I have dealt with before.

If I haven't dealt with you before I will only accept RSI credits (again without any guarantee of being able to process your package due to time constrains). Just protecting myself from scammers as I've had quite a few 1day old accounts contacting me these past few days.

P.S: Spread the word around, I do not and will not charge "priority processing fees" to anyone.
P.P.S: Hah, it seems to have been an error on their part. The Lightspeed and 350R do not show up on the store anymore.

Last edited:
ok kept looking and found a little info, and upgrade space is not the same as hardpoints. look here and click on "Hardpoints & Upgrades". apparently you can use the upgrade slots to add armor, cargo space, avionics upgrades, and other not-weapons stuff. i think it's really unclear at this point how important these upgrade spaces will be, but they seem pretty useful to me.

Well if you look at the overall ship design, you can tell right away that the Cutlass is going to be much more modular than the Avenger ever will be. Even though the ship specs can change over the next 24 months, just by looking at the physical attributes/hulls of the Avenger/Hornet, the form and function of those two ships are pretty apparent. The Cutlass/Aurora/Constellation are just built from the ground up to allow a lot more variation.

404 error code trying to view the 350R in the pledge store. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I also dont see the Lightspeed pkg

It wasn't supposed to be the 350 first anyway. Was supposed to start with the M50. Probably just a bit out of order and getting fixed.

Why buying variants may not make good sense:

Look at the F7C Hornet, you can get the base model for $110, and then you can either get the Ghost for $125 or the Tracker for $140. However, both the Ghost and the Tracker are just the base model with some usage specific modules. Meaning that if you purchase the right modules in-game you can easily turn the base F7C into a Ghost or into a Tracker.

Arguably both the Ghost and the Tracker are ships which will not see much use in the first few days of the game so there is plenty of time to purchase the modules to turn the F7C into a Ghost or Tracker in due time.

LTI also doesn't play into any of this because it's likely that the stock modules that come with the Ghost and Tracker will be replaced by better modules shortly anyway so that LTI really only applies to the hull.

So save yourself some cash and just buy the F7C base model.

Look at the F7C Hornet, you can get the base model for $110, and then you can either get the Ghost for $125 or the Tracker for $140. However, both the Ghost and the Tracker are just the base model with some usage specific modules. Meaning that if you purchase the right modules in-game you can easily turn the base F7C into a Ghost or into a Tracker.

Arguably both the Ghost and the Tracker are ships which will not see much use in the first few days of the game so there is plenty of time to purchase the modules to turn the F7C into a Ghost or Tracker in due time.

LTI also doesn't play into any of this because it's likely that the stock modules that come with the Ghost and Tracker will be replaced by better modules shortly anyway so that LTI really only applies to the hull.

It depends on if the Super Hornet's upgrades are already the best-in-slot. If the power plant, turret, and guns are Level 10 out of 10 already then LTI is 100% worth it. However, if those parts are only 5/10 or 7/10 then yes you would be correct. Guess we'll have to see :)

If the former is true, then those people who nab an LTI-Constellation variant with best-in-slot parts + a majority of the 20 upgrade points already pre-installed, that LTI is gonna pay off HUGE. It's basically a gamble at this point cause we don't know the details.

So much bad info^^
I've already been offering a better deal to people long before you though of it. They just get the full Digital Colonel package with LTI + 5k UEC credits + alpha + beta + other goodies for the same $110 price through me. Then they simply buy the upgrade and are done. Buying stand alone ships has never made much sense if you know an Original Backer willing to help you (emphasis on willing).

So much bad info^^

So you are stating that both the Ghost and the Tracker have best in slot upgrades then? Because that is what I am talking about regardless of the cost.

My point is that the base model is the better deal, regardless of package, and that the upgrades available for purchase with RL cash (either right away or after the fact) are simply not worth it because you will replace the modules with better ones anyway.

Last edited:
You can't figure it out? With my option they can always melt the tracker/ghost upgrade if they don't want to apply it to the base package. They are already getting these upgrades well below their new backer price as they are paying my OB prices to begin with...

It depends on if the Super Hornet's upgrades are already the best-in-slot. If the power plant, turret, and guns are Level 10 out of 10 already then LTI is 100% worth it. However, if those parts are only 5/10 or 7/10 then yes you would be correct. Guess we'll have to see :)

If the former is true, then those people who nab an LTI-Constellation variant with best-in-slot parts + a majority of the 20 upgrade points already pre-installed, that LTI is gonna pay off HUGE. It's basically a gamble at this point cause we don't know the details.

I am positive that Super Hornets are coming with base packages, CGI would never release a ship that is maxed out from day 1. Don't get me wrong, for the shit load of money I paid for those pixels, it better be, but it won't. IF that was the case that these things came with maxed out parts, I would totally jump on every single ship out there, because their in game credit value would be absolutely stunning if you made use of them and routinely lost them. You don't pay for ship, insurance or modules and never ever have to buy a new module for your ship.. lol its like playing a single player game with bunch of Save slots, you just cannot lose :)

Back