Starcraft 2 Beta

Sort of related - anyone playing some other cool custom maps yet?

Not really, the maps I have played thus far are pretty crude, which is to be expected I guess. Though I did hope some mutant savant would spend his every waking hour of his life toiling away on the map editor and crafting the most over the top amazing experience in a custom map ever.

As it stands, it looks like we need a larger starcraft 2 sample size, and more time.

so anyone can invite me to teh sc2 beta. Or is there no more invites and the only way is to preorder sc2?

Hi, I am a Gold terran player. can anyone please help me out with some things I am having trouble with.
Early Void rays(that first or second one). Especially if their stargate is hidden and I am not able to spot it. What do you guys normally do against that? Just build towers for the hell of it? Just do some mass marines at start ? I've noticed having a few marines usually is not enough at start especially if you are looking to expand and tech.

I am pretty good at start with my macro, but in mid to late game I just fall off sooo bad. It is so hard for me to keep up unit production when I am attacking, or doing any other action where I am away from my base. I am trying to get into the habit of hot keys, but I am not there yet. Is there anything else you guys do that makes it easy to build while you advance/attack/micro?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you

Can anyone get into the game now? I can't connect to battle.net, wonder if that service update is about to happen.

Hi, I am a Gold terran player. can anyone please help me out with some things I am having trouble with.
Early Void rays(that first or second one). Especially if their stargate is hidden and I am not able to spot it. What do you guys normally do against that? Just build towers for the hell of it? Just do some mass marines at start ? I've noticed having a few marines usually is not enough at start especially if you are looking to expand and tech.

I am pretty good at start with my macro, but in mid to late game I just fall off sooo bad. It is so hard for me to keep up unit production when I am attacking, or doing any other action where I am away from my base. I am trying to get into the habit of hot keys, but I am not there yet. Is there anything else you guys do that makes it easy to build while you advance/attack/micro?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you

i have won early void ray rush with towers with range upgrade.

i was rank 1 gold for awhile before the last reset and platinum before that.

i dunno if it really is?

they keep on extending my play time.

i'm at june 25th now.

The play time doesn't mean anything. They've already announced that phase 1 ends may 31st, might be extended due to bnet's utter crappiness lately.

Well since the service update is finished I tried a 1v1. Got dropped in 3 mins. Aside from the last patch which brought all the problems, I've never been dropped from a game. Please fix this, kkthx.

I just setup my account but haven't played a game yet. I never really played SC1 either. Any tips for someone just getting started?

I just setup my account but haven't played a game yet. I never really played SC1 either. Any tips for someone just getting started?

www.teamliquid.net is a good resource, watch live streams or read strategies and replays. Learn some build orders and most of all, just get into the game and get a feel of it yourself.

Wow wtf. I just won 2 games and after each game it said I lost. Teh fuck have they done to this game.

Learn how to macro first, and just A-move your army. Good macro can overcome bad micro, but not the other way around.

Latest patch has screwed so many things up. I haven't played a game yet where it didnt show up saying that someone was lagging. I've also had it where I couldn't use any hot keys! I've also had it where I click find a game, nothing happens, I can even click around like in multiplyer and create game and then all of a sudden it starts the loading screen (didnt even show the screen for me to select my class)

Learn how to macro first, and just A-move your army. Good macro can overcome bad micro, but not the other way around.

This x1000. When you're learning, don't worry about uber-scouting or gambits or cancels or kiting or any of that crap. Get your build orders down, keep making workers, constantly spend your money (CONSTANTLY), and learn when to expand your economy. The only micro you should worry about is Chrono Boost/Inject Larva/MULE, and that's because it has to do with making money.

If you can do that and just pump lots of shit out, that by itself will get you into gold league. The player that can get more money and spend it faster will pump out more units and will win the game in most cases.

Knowing unit counters is also important, but that's also part of the macro game ("if he's making unit X then I should make building Y to counter", etc)

Worry about micro once you get your macro game down. This isn't Warcraft 3, Starcraft is at heart a macro game.

I keep getting dropped even when I'm winning haha. Failllll

Yeah, I won two gold games this morning against people who dropped within the first 30 seconds. Hate winning like that especially now when I'm not a gold level player...keeps me higher and keeps me getting my ass kicked.

Honestly, the whining about a BETA is starting to get old. Did any of you sign up expecting a final product? Does nobody know how product testing works?

They're probably doing some rather extreme changes to see where improvements can be made...just because some things are broken does not necessarily mean a final product will be. Its beta...its for load testing, its a time to push out new features that may still be buggy, OR to try new features on a larger population than is available after launch - after seeing the problems with a large load, it can be fixed before pushing out, etc.

They changed from TCP to UDP - what the hell do you all expect? In the end - itll be for the better. Until than, what sense is there in complaining about free access to what is potentially one of the biggest games in the last few and next few years? lol

If you're having problems, report bugs with bnet...whining on here does no good.

Honestly, the whining about a BETA is starting to get old. Did any of you sign up expecting a final product? Does nobody know how product testing works?

They're probably doing some rather extreme changes to see where improvements can be made...just because some things are broken does not necessarily mean a final product will be. Its beta...its for load testing, its a time to push out new features that may still be buggy, OR to try new features on a larger population than is available after launch - after seeing the problems with a large load, it can be fixed before pushing out, etc.

They changed from TCP to UDP - what the hell do you all expect? In the end - itll be for the better. Until than, what sense is there in complaining about free access to what is potentially one of the biggest games in the last few and next few years? lol

If you're having problems, report bugs with bnet...whining on here does no good.

The occasional lag bug isn't the issue. The problem is patch 13 was released and Bnet has been shitty every since. You can't effectively test the system if it is completely hosed. They didn't change from TCP to UDP. They enabled UDP to go along with TCP. Frankly I don't think that is the cause of this. I think it's the piece for uploading custom maps. That's what they disabled the other day to correct the problems.

Last edited:

Get some perspective, bub. They have less than 2 months to "finalize" the product. Before this, they've had 7 years in development.

Why do you think in 2 months more fixes will occur than in the last 7 years? Besides some MINOR improvements, this BETA is RELEASE.

I won two games last night and they both said YOU HAVE LEFT THE GAME. Of course I didnt...i dont get dropped anymore but the lag is still there. I got dropped from diamond league but I dont see how I couldnt have, all i get is losses.

I got a bunch of losses from drops, now I win and still get a loss. I will be in Bronze at this rate!

Fuck this lag on bnet. I played 3 games last night. I won 1 and "lost" 3. 2 of the 3 I didn't even get in the game as the game disconnected on the map loading screen. The 3rd "loss" came when I was about to destroy the last building of my opponent. I understand this is a beta, but damn if it isn't frustrating.

Is there any ports we should be forwarding on our routers? Has anyone seen anything about that from Blizz?

Personally, I've only noticed bad lag on the larger maps.
A buddy and I were experimenting last night with who hosted and what maps. The larger maps were damn near unplayable, but as long as we kept to smaller maps like steps of war we didn't have an issue.
I don't understand why map size would be that important, but it sure seemed to be.
We both have good systems and good broadband connections, so neither of them was the culprit. It didn't matter who hosted, but as the maps got bigger so did the problems.

bnet is pretty much unplayable since this last weekend. I wonder is blizz is just testing the server capacity or something.

bnet is pretty much unplayable since this last weekend. I wonder is blizz is just testing the server capacity or something.

I assume that's part of it. Judging by their statement the other day when they took Bnet offline to turn off the uploading of custom maps (is it back on yet?) it sounded like the servers couldn't handle the strain. Maybe there were far more uploaded maps then they expected and with people downloading them I could see it cause issues during the beta.

I've played about 15 3v3's since the latest patch, and only one game was laggy (2 people dropped). I haven't tried 4v4, 2v2 or 1v1 yet since the patch.

You can't really stress test servers in a closed beta. If blizzard decided to suddenly make it an open beta then yea that's a real stress test.

Regardless of how many beta testers there are, there's going to be orders of magnitudes more after release. Personally, I'm hunkering down with the SP for the first week or so and letting everyone else lag out of there games right after release :p

I assume that's part of it. Judging by their statement the other day when they took Bnet offline to turn off the uploading of custom maps (is it back on yet?) it sounded like the servers couldn't handle the strain. Maybe there were far more uploaded maps then they expected and with people downloading them I could see it cause issues during the beta.

Yeah custom maps are back on. I played a few rounds last night with no lag, surprisingly.

Personally, I'm hunkering down with the SP for the first week or so and letting everyone else lag out of there games right after release :p

That's my plan too.After being able to play MP so much I'd like to check out the rest of the game. Let the newbies have at it for awhile first.

Loving this game so far. Excellent work by Blizzard from Brood Wars to this !

This will be the next pro-game :D

Yeah custom maps are back on. I played a few rounds last night with no lag, surprisingly.

No lag this morning either. Played three gold games against Protoss...lost two of them. :( I'm testing a new build and it didn't fair two great the first two times but that's not a real excuse. The one I did win was because the guy tried to cannon rush me on Blistering Sands.

Wish I could go back and throw my placement matches. That way I can just be a bronze and slowly work my way up the ladder instead of constantly having my ass kicked by people that are far better then me.

Launcher works fine I think. Bnet is currently down though, is that what you mean?

Wow. I seriously am starting to hate random teams. I don't mean people that choose random, I just lost 10 random 2v2's in a row, only won my first game before that streak. For every single game, except for 2, all my teammates were retarded. I was rank 6 gold, now im like rank 36. All my mates kept attacking by themselves and losing their army, or just plain being retarded.

All I wanted to do was finish my last 2 terran wins for team beta crusher, is that too much to ask?!?!?! haha

Wow. I seriously am starting to hate random teams. I don't mean people that choose random, I just lost 10 random 2v2's in a row, only won my first game before that streak. For every single game, except for 2, all my teammates were retarded. I was rank 6 gold, now im like rank 36. All my mates kept attacking by themselves and losing their army, or just plain being retarded.

All I wanted to do was finish my last 2 terran wins for team beta crusher, is that too much to ask?!?!?! haha

Welcome to the Internet.

well that's why haven't played team games yet, and don't really know if I will. I'd probably be the one to eff things up for the rest.. I'm only silver in 1v1, so is it better to try to at least bump up to gold or something before trying 2v2 etc?

Maybe 4v4 is better since there is a higher chance someone else will be the weak link:p

Meh, I haven't played any RT in patch 13, but in patch 12 I started off in silver in RT and worked my way to platinum in less than 15 games. Yes there are some retarded teammates, but every once in a while it's not so bad. There was one guy who liked playing with me so much we formed a AT team afterwards and had some epic games in platinum 2v2 AT.

The biggest problem right now is that AT and RT can play each other... the line gets fuzzier in 3v3 and 4v4 since anything less than 3 or 4 players is technically "RT".

Back