StarCraft 2 to go 3D in Post Release Patch

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Blizzard appears to be jumping on the 3D momentum and will release a patch soon after the game’s launch which will add 3D support for those capable.

"We will be releasing 3D in the first few months, for those Nvidia cards and screens that support it," Sigaty told IGN (via VG247). And despite Nvidia being name-dropped specifically (and despite the fact Nvidia had a presence at the StarCraft 2 event in Seoul, South Korea where the interview was taking place), Sigaty also assured that they're "optimizing for all systems."

Do you guys feel 3D in games (and movies/tv) is an enhancement/feature or a gimmick?

Feature that can be turn off. For movies, they can just use on eye of the camera for 2d.

Movies are one thing since you pay a one time ticket price and are done. But at home right now, with the high price for entry, very much a gimmick imo. That, and I really don't want to put on a set of glasses whenever I want to watch something.

I'm not surprised with this announcement though. Doesn't WoW support 3D? I think SC2 would look kind of neat with the added 3D depth.

been playing a lot of games in anaglyph 3D lately. I am sitting on the fence till this holiday season to see if ATi comes out and officially supports stereoscopic 3D. If they don't then I am gonna jump ship and buy an Nvidia Fermi card and play my games in 3D with some peace of mind that my Vid card manufacturer is officially supporting the tech.

Is someone going around paying developers to make their games 3D?

Gimmick. most of the time the 3D is half assed or its only done for specific scenes and that's it.

Agreed. Show me 3D that doesn't require glasses and is active for the entire game. Maybe I'll go for it, although it'll still probably be bad for your eyes.

hrm, Korea is the largest producer of lcd panels and the largest starcraft market. connection? lol

3d.. in all forms that require glasses, is a gimmick and I'll be ecstatic when it dies... again...

Until we have holodecks, 3d can suck it...

The 3D in RTS and racing games actually help. This is a good thing.

The best part about Starcraft 2 going 3D is the frame rates will more easily stick to 60fps (per eye)

What do they mean by "Optimizing for all systems" after the NVidia 3D bit? Do they mean that because they're only doing 3D for NVidia cards performance will not be assured for NVidia cards only or are they going to include 3D for others?

Meh...Probably just means because NVidia is giving big money doesn't mean they're not going to ignore ATI cards.

I quite frankly don't really care for 3D. I hated it and NVidia's hardware implementation at Blizzcon where I tried it with WoW, hated it now that I tried it with Devil May Cry 4 (using the cheap NVidia method), and I certainly wouldn't want it straining my eyes during an RTS.

I saw Toy Story 3, loved it, but 3D did nothing for it.

I don't know about you, but 3D movies give me headaches after more than 30 min (only one that didn't was Avatar for some reason). I can't imagine playing hours of a game in 3D.

Is it a gimmick, sure, is it gimmcky, not at all. Batman AA and Just Cause are GREAT with 3D, both games through out have depth everywhere, its not just a thing here and there, with Surround its a very immersive gaming experience. Not my kind of game but it'll be intresting to see that this brings to the table.

I don't know about you, but 3D movies give me headaches after more than 30 min (only one that didn't was Avatar for some reason). I can't imagine playing hours of a game in 3D.

I personally never saw much in the effect with the colored glasses, the shutter glasses are a different story and never experience headaches.

Unless they implement this so extremely well that it actually helps you with targeting units, which is doubtful, I dont see this being used at all in competitive play.

Anyone still playing the original ??? I'm half tempted to load it up on the laptop.... :p

If it doesn't require glasses I'm all for it.

But I wouldn't buy a monitor for it unless it's cheap enough.

Damn it forgot...

Not to mention it's not required... so why not let them add it.

In games I think it could have some potential, since usually it is just one person playing, but in movies I think it is a total gimmick.

In general though, anything that needs glasses is doomed to fail in the long run.

In games I think it could have some potential, since usually it is just one person playing, but in movies I think it is a total gimmick.

In general though, anything that needs glasses is doomed to fail in the long run.

I completely disagree with this entire post.

Doesn't mean you're wrong;).

I certainly don't like the idea of wearing shutter glasses. But I have been playing games in 3D using red/blue glasses for a while now and I love the 3D effect in some games.

I DON'T want to spend the money on a 3D monitor (I'll be using a 3D HDTV as my monitor) and glasses but I am going to get one anyway by the time Crysis 2 ships. I just really want to play in stereo 3D I just love the effect some games have. For me it makes FPS games that much more fun.

It isn't zero depth. It might be birds-eye view, but the terrain isn't flat and there are flying units.

Well ok, I understand that SC2 has some depth to the game the same way Total Annihilation does with airial units and multiple map levels, but how is 3D going to give it an advantage since it is still a top-look down game?

Well ok, I understand that SC2 has some depth to the game the same way Total Annihilation does with airial units and multiple map levels, but how is 3D going to give it an advantage since it is still a top-look down game?

Why does it have to be an advantage? Lots of gaming revolves around graphics, and for those that like 3D graphics the game looks better with properly dimensioned levels. The game is already rendered in 3D, all they have to do is do the rendering at two slightly different camera angles and they have 3D. It's really a matter of GPU power rather then coding effort in the end.

It's not supposed to give anyone an advantage. The game is designed in many ways so people with faster computers (not 100% true, but the game is ridiculously scalable), bigger screens, and now 3D DO NOT have an advantage over those who do not have these things.

I hate both of you, I'm responding to this post ... :p

The 3D in RTS and racing games actually help. This is a good thing.

The best part about Starcraft 2 going 3D is the frame rates will more easily stick to 60fps (per eye)

I think the poster is trying to say that 3D helps with gameplay.

if you ask me, this seems like a repeat of the virtual boy; problems layered with lawsuits. of all billions of people who will go ape-s*it over starcraft 2 3D and who will buy and play it, there will be at least one who will either a) faint b) have a seizure c) have tendency to kill people because "i thought i saw a zerglling coming right at me that's why i shot"
it only took one to kill the virtual boy back in the 90s, now imagine when the intarweb allows free speech to run amuk.

Back