Starfield

go away...you have issues...I never said CP2077 was 'trash'...please link to my post where I said that...of course you won't be able to...you just want attention...you take the opposite stance on everything to sound edgy...a game that's popular you're complain about...a game that gets bad reviews you'll take the opposite stance...you do the same thing with every game

I read reviews on CP2077 and avoided it...I was right...they improved the game immensely and now it's getting a major overhaul with the expansion and 2.0 update...I think I gave CP2077 a 7.5 at release based on reviews I trust...I bought a Starfield code from someone selling it for $35, I posted that earlier in this thread...will I play it on Tuesday?...I'm not sure...it needs the FOV fix at a bare minimum...and I said the game sounds like an 8/8.5
You are the one kicking the door in and derailing the conversation with this BG3 is GOTY bullshit. What does that post have to do with Starfield? Zero, nada, nothing. It is pure trolling and you know it.
I didn't even see any reviews of Starfield yet, I have zero clue what do they say. Do you know what I did? Played the game and formed my own opinion on it. You should try that sometimes.

And if someone wants to see what mainstream reviews say, they can read them. Nobody needs you disseminating second hand opinions. Contribute something original and more importantly relevant, or let the rest of us discuss the actual game at hand.

I've got about 6 hours in now and I feel like I can say confidently that I'm having a good time. I'm not terribly invested in the story, but I wasn't in any of their other games either. I just want to raid pirate dens and steal all their booty. Once I do a vanilla playthrough I forsee this being another Skyrim where I have 250 mods and play 4000 hours.

A couple of small issues;

- No body in 1st person
- Still has the same weird physics glitches where items fly around or bounce in place making noise the creation engine always had
- teammates are useless and get in your way all the time
- inventory to ship transfer is bugged so you have to switch back and forth before you can store items
- ship reticle locked at 30fps unless you mod it

I have not noticed loading screens that much, they did pretty good at disguising them and they're very short.

I started using a speed hack to warp between POIs.
No point running 5 minutes between locations with 0 content.

Stop.

A lot of us like to play while sitting on the couch. A controller is the easiest way to do this.

Controllers are better for all kinds of games. We've all played games where we cannot walk at the same moderate pace as an NPC. To keep pace you'd have to tap W, for a "jittery walk". With a thumbstick you can gradually control the speed.

For some games with vehicles I play with mouse and keyboard on foot and switch to controller for vehicles.

Idk, kind of reads like coping from DF:

shilling (1).png

*Edit* sorry for the somewhat blurry text

Anyone found a reshade on Nexus or elsewhere that fixes any graphics wash out issues that you may have?

Controllers are better for all kinds of games. We've all played games where we cannot walk at the same moderate pace as an NPC. To keep pace you'd have to tap W, for a "jittery walk". With a thumbstick you can gradually control the speed.

For some games with vehicles I play with mouse and keyboard on foot and switch to controller for vehicles.

That is fair. I have often wished that keyboards had some form of analog input for the movement keys, but the little thumbsticks are so hilariously poor at aiming compared to a mouse, that the tradeoff always falls in favor of keyboard and mouse.

My companion finally put on his suit! For people complaining about immersion, if you look in the photo, things are laying around as if there is no need for a suit. Again this is a planet with no atmosphere. It's pretty silly but I don't really care.
Photo_2023-09-02-173319-thumbnail.png

I had never heard of Daniel Owen before this game launch, but it looks like he is one of the first out with some details CPU testing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVMp-oUEJ3o

Very interesting findings in that this game seems to load up MANY cores. This game does not exhibit the usual one maxed out game thread, one more thread at ~80%, a couple at 20% and some more at near nothing.

No, he tested an i5-9600k and it pinned all six cores at or near 100% load.

ON a Ryzen 5 5600x it also seems to load up all cores, but with an approximate average over the cores in the high 60's%.

It looks like the game even gives a 7800X3D a workout.

I think we can confidently say that you don't want a quad core in this game.

Conclusion i5-9600k in the 50's fps in the main city.

Going up to Ryzen 5 5600x, there is a rather marginal difference, bumping up to the high 50's on average.

Bumping up to a 7800x3d almost doubles the framerate.

I wonder if we are seeing the memory bandwidth effect from DDR5 postulated in the video above.

This makes my idea that a Ryzen 3800x being a good predictor of my Threadripper 3960x kind of fly out the window.

I theoretically have double the memory bandwidth as a 3800x, and since it seems to be scaling up in the cores, I have loads more of those too...

Last edited:
All I know is if I open Radeon software in game, it crashes the driver every single time. I wanted to check my hotspot temps after I repasted because my newest 7900XTX was naturally running at 110C with a fan speed of 3400RPM because reasons, but no you cannot do that. Alt+R = crash.

Bumping up to a 7800x3d almost doubles the framerate.

I wonder if we are seeing the memory bandwidth effect from DDR5 postulated in the video above.

This makes my idea that a Ryzen 3800x being a good predictor of my Threadripper 3960x kind of fly out the window.

I theoretically have double the memory bandwidth as a 3800x, and since it seems to be scaling up in the cores, I have loads more of those too...

I can tell you I get significantly more fps on my 13700K with DDR5 7200 vs my 7950X3D with DDR5 5600. Its hard to pin down the exact number because any attempt to run overlay software in this game seems to be crashing my video driver, but I'd guess like 15% more.

I can tell you I get significantly more fps on my 13700K with DDR5 7200 vs my 7950X3D with DDR5 5600. Its hard to pin down the exact number because any attempt to run overlay software in this game seems to be crashing my video driver, but I'd guess like 15% more.

If the memory bandwidth is really the limit here, Intel has a huge win in this game, what with AMD's infinity fabric holding Zen back.

Now I'm really curious if my 3960x can take advantage of the quad channel RAM bandwidth (and larger L3 cache) and make a better showing than other Zen2's here.

I mean, my quad channel DDR4-3600 - if the game can take advantage of it - has the same total bandwidth as DDR5-7200. The L3 cache of 128MB is also about 3.5x larger than the 36MB Smartcache on the i9-13900K, but is likely a bit slower than the new Intel Smartcache (I cant find AIDA64 cache numbers for the 3960x right now)

Last edited:
If the memory bandwidth is really the limit here, Intel has a huge win in this game, what with AMD's infinity fabric holding Zen back.

Now I'm really curious if my 3960x can take advantage of the quad channel RAM bandwidth (and larger L3 cache) and make a better showing than other Zen2's here.

Be pretty cool to find out. Do you not have an early access copy? I got mine for free when I bought the 7000 series chip lol

Since its the standard edition they probably wont give you the key/auth to Steam until the 5th. I got mine for the premium edition around 12 hours before the release time on Steam.

Ah, okay. Thanks for confirming. I was a bit confused, I'm guessing the higher end editions got released earlier, then? Kind of silly, but it is what it is.

Be pretty cool to find out. Do you not have an early access copy? I got mine for free when I bought the 7000 series chip lol

I don't. I was planning on waiting a while to buy. (I'm not usually one to jump on new releases at launch)

Iratus both has the game runnung AND a 3960x. Been trying to coax him into sharing some performance numbers, but I guess he is busy actually playing the game, rather than testing it for those of us who aren't, and who can blame him? :p

Last edited:
Well that doesn't bode well for my 5800X3D on a B450 with DDR4-3200 ECC RAM (with timings so loose like throwing a hot dog down a hallway).

Well that doesn't bode well for my 5800X3D on a B450 with DDR4-3200 ECC RAM (with timings so loose like throwing a hot dog down a hallway).

I think your experience will be fine, both machines are over 100fps at 1440p with optimized graphics settings (things that don't matter not on ultra) and no FSR.

I think your experience will be fine, both machines are over 100fps at 1440p with optimized graphics settings (things that don't matter not on ultra) and no FSR.
I'll post my experience once the game is done downloading.
I play at 1080P on a 4070 (non-Ti) so I am hoping for at least 60 FPS @ High (I heard Ultra has issues on Nvidia?).

I'll post my experience once the game is done downloading.
I play at 1080P on a 4070 (non-Ti) so I am hoping for at least 60 FPS @ High (I heard Ultra has issues on Nvidia?).

I'm not sure, but I think you should be fine. Some of the stuff like GTAO can be turned down to medium without any noticeable difference.

It really depends on where you measure.

The CPU seems to be hit the hardest when walking around the main city, presumably because all of the NPC's needing to have their AI calculated there.

Because this is the worst case area, that seems to be where many are measuring, but the saving grace is that this doesn't really seem to be an area where there is combat, so if the framerate is a little less than ideal there, maybe it doesn't matter as much.

This seems to be the most comprehensive CPU testing done to date:

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Star...benchmark-requirements-anforderungen-1428119/

It's in German though.

They have a 5800X38 clocked at an average of 69.2fps, 1% lows of 52fps, and 0.2% lows of 48fps.

So, in just a couple of minutes it appears it is another Bethesda game that favors ram speed. Much like FO3 and 4.

I never realized that in the past, but maybe that's because I have always been on HEDT platforms when playing Bethesda titles (first x79 i7-3930k, and now Threadripper 3960x). I guess Quad channel RAM helps mask some of these limitations.

Still, I do find it kind of hilarious that it seems to scale approximately with AIDA64 Memory Bandwidth benchmarks :p

Last edited:
I read in an earlier post above that no one is in first person. Is that a problem that can simply get fixed with a dev patch? I'm a fan of first person view, it's so much more immersive to me because third person view blocks too much of the screen for me. So waiting to see what's going on with it.

Last edited:
I was just about to break down and do it just so I could test the Threadripper memory bandwidth performance. I can wait to play a game, but lingering hardware performance questions pain me. :p

I can always refund it if performance doesn't meet my expectations.

So I clicked on the premium edition on Steam and it stilm says it unlocks Sep5th? I thought premium edition buyers got early access that unlocked already?

Did I misunderstand things?

Or maybe you had to have bought it already?

I messed around with this suggestion and so far I can't say I'm seeing any appreciable differences/improvements. (In and out of HDR)

I'm definitely going after that fog removal mod. Bethesda has that damned fog in all of their games to cover up a multitude of sins.

P.S. I'm considering using a ***controller*** for the spaceship flying parts. ;) *runs away*
Acquired the game so I could mess around with my display settings.

If HDR in Windows is enabled, black level setting on the TV didn't seem to make a difference between full and limited.

Renamed exe to FarCry5, with HDR in Windows. This allowed me to get the HDR pop-up notification on the TV. Still looked like ass unless I turned HDMI Deep Color to off, then set it to Limited. This may have looked the best, but it disabled G-Sync and gives you 60Hz or 30Hz I think, so worthless.

If I disabled HDR in Windows 10, Nvidia display settings to RGB/10-bit/Full(may not matter), then set my C1 black level to Limited and gamma to 2.2, it looked a hell of a lot better. Huge difference going from Full to Limited.

Maybe all this is doing is lowering the brightness to not look so overexposed, but it now looks good enough to me to play it at least.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
With the 3300x keeping up with the 10900k or the 7600 beating the 5900x according to this:
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Star...benchmark-requirements-anforderungen-1428119/

Would be curious how a 13100 with good ram would do, probably better than a 3700x

If the theory about memory bandwidth in the video LigTasm posted above is accurate though, you may just be seeing them score similarly as they are both "bottlenecked" (I hate that term) by the memory bandwidth.

The 3300x was tested with DDR4-3200, while the 10900k was tested with DDR4-2933...

So as funny as it sounds, it may just come down to RAM bandwidth.

I was just about to break down and do it just so I could test the Threadripper memory bandwidth performance. I can wait to play a game, but lingering hardware performance questions pain me. :p

So I clicked on the premium edition on Steam and it stilm says it unlocks Sep5th? I thought premium edition buyers got early access that unlocked already?

It said the same thing when I bought it pre-order. I would think it will unlock for you. The premium is what I bought.

It should unlock now for the premium edition. It said the 6th for me as well despite me having the game for preload on the 31st and a confirmed copy of the premium edition in the steam licenses page of my account.

It will unlock right away - did for me when I bought it a couple hours ago.

Performance is good so far, I don't think I've noticed a dip below 60 FPS yet. Steam overlay doesn't work unless I switch to "Fullscreen" in-game - but that isn't fullscreen and instead a misaligned "floating" window so I am keeping it in "Borderless Fullscreen". I am playing with a 119 FPS cap set in Nvidia Control Panel and vsync disabled.

The game is alright - aesthetically I am completely blown away. I am a sucker for retro-futurism and they really nailed that here. Gameplay is closer to "meh" for me, combat feels very very very anemic. The transition animations (or lack thereof?) between reloading, ADS, sprinting etc are very bad and not fluid. Space combat is atrocious. I am getting very strong Expanse and ME1 vibes here which is awesome. I think I will continue tonight and see if I get drawn into the game world proper.

Landed in Neon. So much detail that it is an eye candy person's dream. New Atlanta Wells is impressive grittiness; Neon rivals that by a far margin.

When you all have the chance to visit Neon, take it. Thank me later.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
IDK why are people so eager to attack this game and it's optimization when it is actually pretty well optimized for what it is.
And what is it?-----because it feels like a (good) game from 2010. With tons of mysterious CPU overhead. And even though it loads up tons of threads on CPUs with.tons of cores---they don't run the game any better than 6 and 8 core CPUs.

Back