Starfield

9 days /played to walk through the light.

Really enjoyed it. Still a few quests that are blocked, I'll finish them up when they fix.
Probably not going to actually NG+ until expansion comes out.

Still haven't ventured out to the snake people. Any story quests out there?

9 days /played to walk through the light.

Really enjoyed it. Still a few quests that are blocked, I'll finish them up when they fix.
Probably not going to actually NG+ until expansion comes out.

Still haven't ventured out to the snake people. Any story quests out there?
Andreja's companion quest is the only one related to that.
Probably more in the dlc.

Yikes.

Dev behind massive Skyrim multiplayer mod turns their hands to Starfield, gives up because "this game is f***ing trash," uploads everything for someone else to finish
https://www.gamesradar.com/dev-behi...ploads-everything-for-someone-else-to-finish/

“I didn't realize this until after I actually started playing the damn game a week after launch,” they say. “The game is boring, bland, and the main draw of Bethesda games, exploration in a lively and handcrafted world, was completely gone.

“Anyways, everyone already knows this, most people agree. There's no need to further repeat the point, just read any of the dozens of reviews online. That said, I won't be continuing development on Starfield Together. I'm not gonna put my heart and soul into a mod for a game as mediocre as this.”

Yikes.

Dev behind massive Skyrim multiplayer mod turns their hands to Starfield, gives up because "this game is f***ing trash," uploads everything for someone else to finish
https://www.gamesradar.com/dev-behi...ploads-everything-for-someone-else-to-finish/

“I didn't realize this until after I actually started playing the damn game a week after launch,” they say. “The game is boring, bland, and the main draw of Bethesda games, exploration in a lively and handcrafted world, was completely gone.

“Anyways, everyone already knows this, most people agree. There's no need to further repeat the point, just read any of the dozens of reviews online. That said, I won't be continuing development on Starfield Together. I'm not gonna put my heart and soul into a mod for a game as mediocre as this.”
If modders don't embrace Starfield its totally fucked, everyone knows Bethesda aren't capable of finishing their games by themselves.

If modders don't embrace Starfield its totally fucked, everyone knows Bethesda aren't capable of finishing their games by themselves.

The game is far from perfect, but I've already had 200+ hours of enjoyment out of it, so I got my money's worth :p

Peoples opinions will differ, but I still consider it to be the most enjoyable game I've played since Cyberpunk 2077. And Cyberpunk 2077 was the most enjoyable game I played since probably Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

The game is far from perfect, but I've already had 200+ hours of enjoyment out of it, so I got my money's worth :p

Peoples opinions will differ, but I still consider it to be the most enjoyable game I've played since Cyberpunk 2077. And Cyberpunk 2077 was the most enjoyable game I played since probably Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Same. Over 200 for me before seeing the light for the first time, and I haven't actually finished all the quests yet. I've thoroughly enjoyed the game minus some bugs.

I ran one character through most every side quest and all the way to NG+ to experience that. Plenty of hours in entertainment and I’m about 4 achievements away from 100%. Been on a break from it but will likely return to get those achievements. Game is a solid 7/10 for me.

The vendor credits limit is really killing me. I get so much haul from one 'kill this guy' quest that I have to use three our four different vendors just to sell it all. That and inventory limits (yes, I'm maxed in weight lifting, why do you ask?), while somewhat realistic, really kill my enjoyment. I am running the game completely unmodded until I get to NG+ so I can experience the game 'the way it was designed' but...

Why can't I sort weapons by damage? Or by Common, Rare, Epic, and Legendary? Why can't I sort space suits by damage reduction? Why does the UI only show damage reduction? As a former UI designer, decisions like this kill me...

Maybe they’ll get it right in the SE release, or the Legacy release, or the “This time we really mean it“ release.

Well..... Thanks to Acegoober, my RTX 3070 is FINALLY installed!!

- It turned out those sh*tty pci-slot retention clips on my ancient case were the cause of my vid card being "stuck" (I'm embarrassed, to say the least)

Regardless, FPS has basically doubled in almost everything (getting over 90 fps in my Starfield New Atlantis "bench save" vs 42 previously etc.)

- Took Ace to MC for his first time EVAR.

Good times & thanks again Acegoober!!

- It turned out those sh*tty pci-slot retention clips on my ancient case were the cause of my vid card being "stuck" (I'm embarrassed, to say the least)

Regardless, FPS has basically doubled in almost everything (getting over 90 fps in my Starfield New Atlantis "bench save" vs 42 previously etc.)

That’s what I’m talking about! A man of his word. You rock AceGoober, that’s how it’s done. :)

And now we have an even happier [H] gamer. Took me all of about 6 or so minutes to pull the old and put in the new.

That’s what I’m talking about! A man of his word. You rock AceGoober, that’s how it’s done. :)

You betcha. :)

The vendor credits limit is really killing me. I get so much haul from one 'kill this guy' quest that I have to use three our four different vendors just to sell it all. That and inventory limits (yes, I'm maxed in weight lifting, why do you ask?), while somewhat realistic, really kill my enjoyment. I am running the game completely unmodded until I get to NG+ so I can experience the game 'the way it was designed' but...

Why can't I sort weapons by damage? Or by Common, Rare, Epic, and Legendary? Why can't I sort space suits by damage reduction? Why does the UI only show damage reduction? As a former UI designer, decisions like this kill me...
Crimson Fleet station has a lot of vendors in a close area, with two of them having around 10k. Course you have to be friendly with them. Still isn't enough but without mods it is one of the best places to sell things.

To add, during planet exploration when a ship lands in a random spot, go to it. There is a good chance you'll happen across a black market vendor who has more than 10k money.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
What "depth" do you think there should be?

Kinda surprised I need to explain myself here.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that Starfield is fairly fun for the first 20 hours or so until the cracks start showing.

First I'll get the good parts out of the way. The gunplay is solid and fun and the powers make for some great dynamic battles. The loot system is also very good and rewarding. It's simply not enough to carry the game though.

Now to explain what I mean about wide as the ocean, deep as a puddle.
  1. It doesn't take long before the procedural content repeats... A lot. More so than even Skyrim I would say.
  2. Albeit optional, TEDIOUS resource collection on vastly empty planets for essentially purposeless base building. It is literally, "build a base for sake of building a base"
  3. Ship building is fun for a while coming up with some unique designs, but outside of that, there is literally zero reason to build a ship. Also, you essentially only need to upgrade your ship once for a bigger jump drive. Outside of that there is no real ship progression.
    You practically get the "ultimate" ship at the end of your first run
  4. Levelling and character progression: Its passable. It is by no means inspired or exciting in any way outside of probably getting the jet pack ability.
  5. Replayability: They touted new game plus as being a huge feature with incentive to have multiple playthroughs. Umm, no. Once you've played the game once, maybe twice, you're essentially just repeating the same content over and over. And yes, the game does NOT have enough depth to sustain that.
  6. Quest design: Fairly run-of-the-mill main and side content. Some of the quests are just downright tedious.
  7. Did I mention incentive? Incentive, incentive, incentive.. There is literally no incentive to motivate you to do practically anything in the game. And at times it actually feels arduous.
Does the game have potential? Absolutely yes. Once the full modding tools are out, the game could become absolutely massive and have tons of depth. In it's current state? Wide as the ocean, deep as a puddle...

Last edited:
Crimson Fleet station has a lot of vendors in a close area, with two of them having around 10k. Course you have to be friendly with them. Still isn't enough but without mods it is one of the best places to sell things.

Right, Crimson Fleet will never be happy with me any more. I finished the CF questline in favor of UC.

That always annoyed me in Bethesda games. You load up on loot... and all the vendors are broke :p.

If you use a mod to give vendors unlimited money, you can see why. It breaks the in-game economy.
Not just Starfield but all their games.
I know, and I usually do it anyways and break the economy. They are actually pretty good about putting in limits for gameplay reasons, but it is still the kind of thing that I don't like. I wanna steal everything off of everyone and sell it all :D

First I'll get the good parts out of the way. The gunplay is solid and fun and the powers make for some great dynamic battles. The loot system is also very good and rewarding. It's simply not enough to carry the game though.

I found this to be pretty good in the beginning, but it also quickly got WAY too easy.

In a couple of early missions "one small step", "the old neighborhood" and "Back to vectera" as well as one or two side quests (like Groundpounder) gunplay was fun, and slightly challenging, but after that it was just too easy for the rest of the game.

I almost never used any powers at all, because I didn't need them. It was too easy already. I also never really used crafting on weapons and suit stations because I didn't need it. The guns I looted were plenty powerful enough to make it too easy.

Similarly with ship battles. A few early ones were challenging, but after that I easily dominated everything I ran into (except the epic ship side quests which took some leveling up, or accidentally jumping into Kryx before the Red Fleet side quest)

If anything, the game could have benefited from being much more difficult, as this would have forced the use of many of these dynamics (powers/upgrades, etc.) to actually succeed, and given the game much more depth.

On a few occasions, just for shits and giggles, I saved my game and then decided to see if I could declare a successful one man war on all of Neon security, or all of Akila security, or even all of New Atlantis security. And I could. No problem. Like not even a challenge.

They should have dropped the very easy, easy and medium difficulty levels, made what is "hard" in game the new "very easy", made what is "very hard" in game the new "easy", and then created new medium, hard and very hard difficulty levels above them.

A toddler could easily come out on top in many of the gun fights in this game.

I found this to be pretty good in the beginning, but it also quickly got WAY too easy.

In a couple of early missions "one small step", "the old neighborhood" and "Back to vectera" as well as one or two side quests (like Groundpounder) gunplay was fun, and slightly challenging, but after that it was just too easy for the rest of the game.

I almost never used any powers at all, because I didn't need them. It was too easy already. I also never really used crafting on weapons and suit stations because I didn't need it. The guns I looted were plenty powerful enough to make it too easy.

Similarly with ship battles. A few early ones were challenging, but after that I easily dominated everything I ran into (except the epic ship side quests which took some leveling up, or accidentally jumping into Kryx before the Red Fleet side quest)

If anything, the game could have benefited from being much more difficult, as this would have forced the use of many of these dynamics (powers/upgrades, etc.) to actually succeed, and given the game much more depth.

On a few occasions, just for shits and giggles, I saved my game and then decided to see if I could declare a successful one man war on all of Neon security, or all of Akila security, or even all of New Atlantis security. And I could. No problem. Like not even a challenge.

They should have dropped the very easy, easy and medium difficulty levels, made what is "hard" in game the new "very easy", made what is "very hard" in game the new "easy", and then created new medium, hard and very hard difficulty levels above them.

A toddler could easily come out on top in many of the gun fights in this game.

Game difficulties have to cater for the lowest denominator. I get what you're saying however. It's fine for difficulty levels to be outrageous in souls-likes because people expect that level of intensity. However, for games targeting massive audiences, such as all Bethesda games, they have to scale their difficulty accordingly. In saying that, difficulty will never be a compensator for "depth". In fact, many gamers enjoy the "power fantasy" and don't care for their games to be overtly "hard". What gives a game depth is well thought out gameplay systems and structure that reward the player by surprising them with layers of complexity that innovates and surpasses games of the past.

Game difficulties have to cater for the lowest denominator. I get what you're saying however. It's fine for difficulty levels to be outrageous in souls-likes because people expect that level of intensity. However, for games targeting massive audiences, such as all Bethesda games, they have to scale their difficulty accordingly.

I mean, that's why there are different difficulty settings. Lowest common denominator can play on "easy" or "very easy" and get the experience they desire. There should be no reason to nerf the "very hard" setting because of the lowest common denominator. They already have their difficulty level.

In saying that, difficulty will never be a compensator for "depth". In fact, many gamers enjoy the "power fantasy" and don't care for their games to be overtly "hard". What gives a game depth is well thought out gameplay systems and structure that reward the player by surprising them with layers of complexity that innovates and surpasses games of the past.

In most cases I would agree with you, but in this case, mostly ignored game mechanics are right there, and you might start using them if you needed the,

Whats the point of improving your gun or worrying about powers if you are already ripping through shit damn near god mode? You have to have a reason to want a better gun, and a need for the powers, otherwise they just become foot notes.

Last edited:
I mean, that's why there are different difficulty settings. Lowest common denominator can play on "easy" or "very easy" and get the experience they desire. There should be no reason to nerf the "very hard" setting because of the lowest common denominator. They already have their difficulty level.
Sadly this happens in many games, especially mmorpgs.

Bethesda teases 'all new ways of traveling' coming to Starfield next year

Bethesda says some big changes are coming to Starfield in 2024 including ongoing quest fixes, support for FSR3 and XeSS, and—this is the big one—"all new ways of traveling" on your journey through the stars...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/18fyhnh/comment/kd1l4m0/?context=3

At this point, the only thing that would make me revisit the game is more quest content, not built on the same few versions of planet bases.

Back