Start a motherboard on antistatic bag?

So you have the antistatic bag sitting on top of the motherboard with your motherboard sitting on top of the antistatic bag and the box with the antistatic bag and motherboard on top of that on the table? whew, that's confusing.

Set it on a table, it will be ok.... Done it many of times... Static isnt as big of a deal as it used to be, or I would hav fried all my PC's working on them on a carpeted floor...

realistically it should be fine on an antistatic bag or wooden table.. you shouldn't really have any problems with static if you just use common sense.

And just to clear things up: placing the motherboard on top of the antistatic bag doesn't prevent static; the motherboard must actually be inside the bag.

maxxo said:
realistically it should be fine on an antistatic bag or wooden table.. you shouldn't really have any problems with static if you just use common sense.

And just to clear things up: placing the motherboard on top of the antistatic bag doesn't prevent static; the motherboard must actually be inside the bag.

this is true. the outside of the bag is not necessarily anti stat or a non conductor. a dry wood surface is good. i use a thick slab of balsa wood. i have seen some guys use blocks of styrofoam, but that doesnt seem like a really good idea to me.

I like to "first boot" my mb while sitting on last years yellow pages-with the cover removed. I most cases, you can hook the MB up to the case you will be using, and have the PS eithor in or out, whichever is more convienet (sp?). Works really well-try it.
gwarren007

A643500Tforce.jpg

On desk, on nylon cutting board, sitting on pink foam... POSTs...

I usually use a cutting mat, foam core, cardboard or similar things. You can also run it on most tables with no problems.

setting it on an antistatic bag is actually a kinda bad idea...antistatic bags keep the INSIDE static free, but they do that by retaining the static on the OUTSIDE of the bag. Though realistically it doesn't really matter...I've set running components on antistatic bags and I've never had an issue.

Anyway, anything non-conductive works fine. Cardboard, wood, plastic, whatever. Just not metal and not something that tends to accumulate charge.

Exactly. Outside of the bag is actually worse than your latest Playboy, Maxim, or cardboard box. But, not like it really matters anyways. Could do it like [H] and just support the ends on styrofoam blocks or whatever they do. Underside gets air. These things are really no big deal. Hardware is not as physically fragile as we're lead to believe. I think they are prone to failure from spitting 100's of watts day in and day out.

texuspete00 said:
Hardware is not as physically fragile as we're lead to believe. I think they are prone to failure from spitting 100's of watts day in and day out.

yeah that's been my thinking for a while now...hell, I even dropped a video card (PNY tnt2 32mb) down a flight of carpeted stairs once...stil worked. Oh and I threw an old tbird athlon against a metal chair (I thought it was dead) and chipped the ceramic packaging (about the size of a pea) then put it back in the mobo and found out it actually wan't dead and still worked. :p

Or how about eclipse's old mobile clawhammer...

Eva_Unit_0 said:
Oh and I threw an old tbird athlon against a metal chair (I thought it was dead) and chipped the ceramic packaging (about the size of a pea) then put it back in the mobo and found out it actually wan't dead and still worked. :p
you fixed it!

I fit it in the case before trying it out! Only ever fit the CPU and heatsink outside of the 'box'.

Bung in a RAM module and the video card, and then try it out to see if it POSTs. Only ever had to pull one single mobo back out because it was DOA, and that's out of the hundreds and hundreds of systems I've built over time ;)

vanilla_guerilla said:
this is true. the outside of the bag is not necessarily anti stat or a non conductor.
The outside of most static bags is metal. The metal coating diverts static charges around the the outside of the bag so that items on the inside are protected. I've seen some spectacular explosions when people charged up items sitting on a static bags that connected two points that shouldn't have been connected. Cardboard, bare wood, cotton towels, fabric softener sheets, or leather pads would be better that static bags.

The pink static bags offer no protection, they merely do not generate or hold static charges, but they allow outside charges to pass right through. Blue static bags are the same, except they also work in low-humidity environments where the pinks fail.

Back