STASIS IceStorm NV7800 Released!

yevaud said:
The backplate covers an area that normally dissipates a non trivial amount of heat. I would be more impressed if they had made the plate from copper, rather than lexan, and included some electrically nonconductive thermal compound (silicone based) between it and the pcb dirctly opposite of the GPU.

I continue to be amazed that the "powers that be" didn't take the opportunity with PCI-e to flip the GPU to the top side of the card. This would have made a number of advancements in heatsink design practical.

does not BTX accomplish your wish ?

Lord_Exodia said:
I dunno guyz. In other threads in this forum I have seem the NV5 rev 3 only 1 degree hotter from readings on full load. Idle is pretty much the same. On top of that the heat gets blown out of the case making your overall in case temperature lower which can help cpu, ram, & chipset OCing. I think for 2x the price it's a hard sell for the stasis. I mean despite this factoid below I find what really matters is the end result. They can pour hours upon hours of R&D but in the end I would save 1/2 the $$$ and go for a nv5r3. If this came down in price then I'll have to check again.

IIRC, his surface is ~1 millionth of an inch of being perfectly flat. Just try to get that from anywhere else...hell, even lapping doesn't get THAT accurate.

Quality of construction goes to not only temp performance but other criteria that is just as important to the end user.

Personaly, If I did not have a KO I would go this route. It performs as good or better than any other air cooled solution. The unit is great looking, reliable, and do to a quality design......idiot proof.

Like anything else there are products that do the job almost as well but I think most will agree , none so elegantly as this particular device.

It is all about personal taste but I am sory, the silencers make your rig look like a cheap toy(hair dryer) IMHO

To answer the pressing question does it fit in SLI, I am pleased to report that both the IceStorm NV7800 C1 and C5 fit in SLI on ASUS boards.

As you can see the fit is tight, but that's all the counts.

The new reference board used for STASIS testing from now on will be the Asus A8N32-SLI as pictured.

:)

NV7800_A8N32_01.jpg

M.D.K. said:
You know that heatpipes work by convection, right? Upside down heatpipe on that mobo = overheated chipset.

They will actually work in any orientation, because they have wicks inside. The wicks use surface tension effects to allow the liquid to move counter to gravity. This is not quite so efficient as having it oriented properly- and the wicks themselves introduce some inefficiency. Better to have a 'true' heatpipe without the wick- but it would absolutely have to be oriented correctly to function.

M.D.K. said:
You know that heatpipes work by convection, right? Upside down heatpipe on that mobo = overheated chipset.
lol whos to say the camera wasn't upside down :D

Zinn said:
lol whos to say the camera wasn't upside down :D

Lol. good point. Or maybe the computer was upside down. HEY that would solve everyone's problem! Putting a dvd in might be tricky, though.... :p

M.D.K. said:

After two months of running this cooler, I just had one of those "ohhh" moments. Maybe my computer is upside down!

LOL with a background in thermaldynamics I'd avoid such a setup if it were a problem. Perhaps you should do some research before you make a bigger fool of yourself MDK! :p

Heatpipes can work in any orientation. Thermalsyphons on the otherhand cannot. According to Asus, and my testing, the system used on the A8N32 is a heatpipe based setup. The heat follows the gradient to the coolest source, which is now cooler yet because of it's lower position.

And no, the camera/case is not upside down, it's a Lian Li V1200B BTX case. :rolleyes:

Back