static problem

my big mistake is to keep testing it and shocking the mobo till it fries, so this works and its fine, no electricity is touching the grounded wire it is safe, and its keeping my case save, and yes the psu is touching the case, i know this because the case holds it up.

"i know what i'm doing"

No you don't,

I'm done with you.
I've wasted wayyyyy to much time on you. In fact I think this is a troll post at best. Sorry to have tried to help

And I mean that

i dont see what the big deal is that i leave it like this, if it solves my problem and its safe nothing will happen and i know!!! i'v taken the pc apart and put it back together peace by peace. i know everything is right, everythign works because i'v tested it on my other pc. Its just the case nothing i can do about it but ground the case from static. thanks guys for your support and time. :)

oboyco said:
Is this board moderated?
I hope so
dude. stop being a n00bie ass and leave the guy alone. if what he wants to do works, let him do it. if he screws up, its his own fault. if he or someone else manages to find a solution, then more power to him.

just stop being an ass. nobody likes assclowns on this forum. :mad:

Tss
I really want to appologize, if you think I am in the wrong then that's ok.

All I did was to try and apply over 30 years of experience here.

I'll not make the same mistake again, but, I was just concerned about an individuals saftey.

Again, I was just trying to help as others have helped me. That's what it's about, isn't it?

Desolate said:
i dont see what the big deal is that i leave it like this, if it solves my problem and its safe nothing will happen and i know!!! i'v taken the pc apart and put it back together peace by peace. i know everything is right, everythign works because i'v tested it on my other pc. Its just the case nothing i can do about it but ground the case from static. thanks guys for your support and time. :)

Wrapping a wire around the ground prong and trying to shove it back into the outlet is not safe and can only lead to a potential fire or electical shock. You may think it's safe, but there are plenty of people who think the same thing about their electrical rigs only to have a fire or worse, someone die from electric shock.

But it sounds like you would rather risk a house fire or someone getting hurt over "breaking" your computer.

oboyco said:
Tss
I really want to appologize, if you think I am in the wrong then that's ok.

All I did was to try and apply over 30 years of experience here.

I'll not make the same mistake again, but, I was just concerned about an individuals saftey.

Again, I was just trying to help as others have helped me. That's what it's about, isn't it?
you can cut the stupid sarcasm.

i never said that you were wrong, i just said that you were acting like an ass. i said if he wants to do what he wants to do, then let him do it, since hes not gonna listen to you. i also said that if he wants to take the risk, then thats his own problem.

but until he 1) fries his pc or himself or 2) finds a permanent, safe, and valid solution, please dont act like a smartass to him or anyone else.

TSS, I really was not trying to be sarcastic at all, not in the least. Please don't assume that, as that was not my intent whatsoever. Believe me I

TSS, I really was not trying to be sarcastic at all, not in the least. Please don't assume that, as that was not my intent whatsoever. Believe me I, was just trying to help someone whom was obviously inexpierienced with grounding knowlege, just trying to help with my knowlege. Is this what this forum is about? again
And believe me I've me I'm not trying to be an ass, but to be an asset to this forum. Why do you keep calling me an ass? :)

What concerns me too is not just that the wire he set up could possibly cause a short, but the fact that his PSU is faulty. If for some reason his grounding setup fails, theres a high risk of electrocution. If your case becomes "live", YOU become the ground! What I'm suprised about is that I don't recall him stating what brand/type of PSU he has. Is this a generic supply that came with your case? I would seriously consider buying a decent power supply. The money spent is for the safety of your house, your equipment, and yourself.

The choice is yours, I respect your decision, so choice what you want to do. You said you want to stop doing the static thing because your afraid your going to kill your mobo, well, it's quite possible that not completely fixing the problem could fry your complete system. But then again, you could end up being just fine. I could be completely wrong or completely right.

hes got a thermaltake silent purepower 480w. said in first post.

EDIT: heres two things nobody ever suggested:

1) how bout not even touching the case?

2) you could just wear rubber gloves all the time.... :p

I sympathize for oboyco. He's being nice and truely trying to help him. He's just getting made because he doesn't want this guy to burn down his house. It's not like oboyco doesn't know what he's talking about since he said he was an electrical contractor. If I was giving free help but was being ignored on the important parts, I'd be mad too.

TSS Modder said:
hes got a thermaltake silent purepower 480w. said in first post.

EDIT: heres two things nobody ever suggested:

1) how bout not even touching the case?

2) you could just wear rubber gloves all the time.... :p

Oh ok, didn't catch that.

edit: I wonder if there's any kind of warranty on it... maybe he can RMA it

Matrox462 said:
Oh ok, didn't catch that.

edit: I wonder if there's any kind of warranty on it... maybe he can RMA it
id say first that he listens to all of us so that we can determine the exact issue. if we are 100% sure its a faulty PSU (it is a TT, after all) then he might as well attempt to get an RMA.

@Desolate: can you grab another PSU and try that out? if the problem goes away, its a faulty PSU.

o, btw, when you had taken my advice earlier and had removed all the parts, i meant remove them and then keep them out. if the problem occurs when theyre out, then its a faulty product, not a shorting issue. if the PC runs fine w/ the parts out of the case, then its shorting issue.

minor issue: how can we accidently short it if its out of the case? hmm..... well, scratch that idea, i guess. :(

lol wow this thread got out of hand lol, but thanks for all your support, yes i do THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0014RU 480W Power Supply, its amazing i love it i think its great psu, but from what i'm dealing with idk what to blame. the wire is rapped really well at the way end of the grounded ring and its not even in the wall, its tightly around the end by the plastic. I can see how this is dangerous. I'v tried not touching the case but i can't help it, because i burn alot of disks and need to open the drive and when i go to open the drive i'm touching the case and restarting it. where i live i can't get rid of the rug i have that causes this high amount of static and i'm left with no choice. I tried everything that you guys told me, and the only thing that worked that someone else told me on another thread was this grounding solution. There is not much more i can do, i'v done it all......

you could just get a freeware program thatll let you use a shortcut to open and close the cd drive :p

Desolate said:
There is not much more i can do, i'v done it all......

How about attaching a ground wire from the outside of the PSU to the front bezel area of your case.That would be a *much* safer grounding than having it attached to the end of your power cord.

SJConsultant said:
How about attaching a ground wire from the outside of the PSU to the front bezel area of your case.That would be a *much* safer grounding than having it attached to the end of your power cord.
hmm i could try that

ok, i taped a wire onto the psu, and then taped it on the front of the case, my front of the case comes off, and i think that the front of my case doesn't get grounded and that its the cause of this, its a faulty case i fucking hate it, and i think it might have fucked up some of my hardware becasue before i noticed some weird stuff coming from my soundcard i posted about it too. but now when i touch the case i dont even get shocked anymore so i think this helped even more then before

Desolate said:
ok, i taped a wire onto the psu, and then taped it on the front of the case, my front of the case comes off, and i think that the front of my case doesn't get grounded and that its the cause of this, its a faulty case i fucking hate it, and i think it might have fucked up some of my hardware becasue before i noticed some weird stuff coming from my soundcard i posted about it too. but now when i touch the case i dont even get shocked anymore so i think this helped even more then before

So removing the other ground wire and simply taping a wire from your psu to the front bezel eliminates the static problem?

SJConsultant said:
So removing the other ground wire and simply taping a wire from your psu to the front bezel eliminates the static problem?
sure did! but its to late for me i can tell my system got messed up, i have sound problems now :mad:

o nevermind i think re wiring it to the psu made it worse, this time it turned the pc off instead of actualy restarting it, i thought that was it for my pc, might just go back to wraping it around the grounded part of the cord

Desolate said:
o nevermind i think re wiring it to the psu made it worse, this time it turned the pc off instead of actualy restarting it, i thought that was it for my pc, might just go back to wraping it around the grounded part of the cord

You need to check your PSU, and fix/replace it if it's defective.

As you're starting to find out that if you keep playing around with these simple electrical fixes, something is going to eventually blow up.

There's NO REASON to have to create any type of "work around" for a Power Supply to work properly. Try buying a PSU from a place that allows returns without a lot of trouble and try the new PSU and see what happens. RMA the old one if you can.'

If you don't want to do this, then just leave the thing alone...

Sounds like a faulty ground on the PSU replace it, test.

I want to re-iterate what others are saying, your solution is a fire hazard.

well if my psu was faulty and doesn't ground, then why isn't my whole case a lighting bolt, and just the front? i mean i give it a try and try another psu to see if this happens.

Maybe it has an ~ok~ ground, who knows. I'm just following logic here, suspect a part is bad, swap it. We have beaten around the bush enough to have an idea it's the PSU or a faulty wall ground.

Oh, snap, moved the PC to another wall outlet. Is it working there?

Also, how is the connection between the front and the rest of the case?

Have you tried any of this without your soundcard? Maybe something is discarging the static through your speaker system/sound wires instead of the proper ground, this may have been a faulty soundcard to begin with, rather than something with the case or PSU. And instead of 'going bad' the souncdard has just been going from bad to worse?

with all the work you've done, it would be silly to write it off now. I would try matrox's solution of taking all the parts out, if the soundcard itself doesn't eliminate the issue.

Do you have front panel sound on that thing? If so, disconnect all the cables for it as well.

HHunt said:
Also, how is the connection between the front and the rest of the case?
7105h_circuitfar.jpg

as you can see behind the metal case cover is plastic idk why any of that shock would go to the mobo. I think it would be traveling though those wires for the LCD screen. I tried a different wall outlet, its definiltly not the cord or the wall outlet. i'v tested all those out.

For all we know, the easiest way might be through an optical drive, over the sound cable, and through your sound card. (if any drives touch any metal parts in the front, that is.)

You could try connecting the metal in your case to the metal in the front. If you can safely touch the rest of the case, that ought to do it.

HHunt said:
For all we know, the easiest way might be through an optical drive, over the sound cable, and through your sound card. (if any drives touch any metal parts in the front, that is.)

You could try connecting the metal in your case to the metal in the front. If you can safely touch the rest of the case, that ought to do it.

well i tried connecting the wire to the psu and it made things worse, instead of restart it shutdown. I might try to take out the dvd drive and put it back in maybe its touching something. I'm having crackling noises in the sound somtimes, and people are saying thats the sound of metal touching metal so one thing wrong here is screwing everything,

This is, generally, very odd. :confused:

I just want to mentally check off a few points, so correct me if this is wrong:
You can touch the case without problems.
You can't touch the metal front of the case.
The front isn't electrically connected to the rest of the case.
If you connect the front to the rest of the case, things get worse.

Right?

Desolate said:
http://gruntville.com/images/hardware/cases/V_Tech_X_Focus_7105H/7105h_circuitfar.jpg[img]
as you can see behind the metal case cover is plastic idk why any of that shock would go to the mobo. I think it would be traveling though those wires for the LCD screen. I tried a different wall outlet, its definiltly not the cord or the wall outlet. i'v tested all those out.[/QUOTE]

The static is probably surging through at least one of the wires on that front panel connector, to somewhere that it shouldn't be. Try isolating that FP by disconnecting the sound wires first, then the rest, one at a time to hopefully elminate the issue.

HHunt said:
This is, generally, very odd. :confused:

I just want to mentally check off a few points, so correct me if this is wrong:
You can touch the case without problems.
You can't touch the metal front of the case.
The front isn't electrically connected to the rest of the case.
If you connect the front to the rest of the case, things get worse.

Right?

as you can see in that pic above the front has an lcd screen so the front is electrically connected i guess. but everything else is correct. I just took the grounded wire out because everyone saying how unsafe lol. I took the cover off and i dont get shocked if the cover is not connected. but if the cover goes back on i get shocked. i think its my cd/dvd drive thats touching everything

its the front of the case, i took the front off away from touching the rest, and when i touch the front nothing happens and when i touch the rest of the case nothihg happens. but when i put the front of the case on the rest of teh case and touch the front its shocks the mobo somehow and restarts. so this shows its neither the psu, or the cord, or the wall outlets

Back