Static-y Noise from Z-5500 due to Sound Card or Speakers?

edliu512

Weaksauce
Hi all:
I recently built a computer with Asus p5n-d motherboard with realtech HD audio and a Z-5500 to go with it. But I get a lot of static-y noise when playing music etc, I can even notice the noise when windows sounds play. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Try some other speakers and possibly some headphones. If the static persists, it's probably your soundcard. If it only happens, then the connection with your speakers is funky. Is it only coming from a few of the speakers or all of them or just one of them or...??

I tried new drivers the noise is still there, tried IPOD connection to the speakers and heard no noise :( My mother board is bad?

Use a sound card. Onboard always has crappy analog (even though I generally do recommend it for digital)

I get the static-y noise from the optical output when I play windows system sounds or MP3's through Itune as well. Should I RMA my motherboard?

I guess it is kind of popping noise. I already tried the latest drivers it doesn't help.

where'd you download them? Try flashing your BIOS and making sure your PCI and PCI-E busses aren't OCed.

Realtek 1.90 HD audio driver straight from realtek.com.tw site. And for bios I don't see the new version notes fixing any sound issues.

edliu, you're going to drive yourself crazy trying to get decent sound out of your motherboard. I have 2 different Asus boards and neither of them has decent sound - even just using headphones. Of course, the realtek HD has GOT to sound better than the hairbrained Asus mobo with the c-media internal usb onboard I had the "pleasure" of listening to.

If you're broke (like I am?), see if you can grab an Audigy SE. I know, it's not a great soundcard, don't expect alot of bells and whistles. But it's like $30 and you can listen to music without it sounding like it's coming in through a bowl of rice crispies.

Definately make sure that the cables are in the back of the control pod SECURELY. I've had a couple times where I've heard static from the speakers, and all that was wrong was that the cable had become a little loose.

i get the same crackling/poping sounds with optical or analog signals *sigh* It sounds like the signal going to the receiver is bad, a lot of loss. The same MP3 file from my ipod over analogue has no noticeable noise at all.

Tried Flashing Bios, upgrading drivers. None helped.

Ordered a Auzentech X-Fi Prelude . . . . let's see if that helps . . . I was suspecting could it be the Zerotherm NV120 CPU cooler i have is creating unwanted noise through the metal plate it uses on the back of the motherboard to mount the cooler? Seems like after i mounted that thing there was more noise . .

Some hella obvious things you can try (don't be insulted if you have).

1) Mute anything besides wave volume and master volume. Expand volume control to see every feature to make it happen. In the past, I used to always get noise from CD player. Some old CD drives used to have a direct connection to the sound card, and these sounds cards still pack these connections (which are often uncovered and exposed)

2) Don't max out your wave/master volume. Put them at about 50%. The sound card is amplifying any source of sound (and electric noice) when you raise those bars. Let your speakers/headphones carry a fair share of the volume control.

Hi, Lodrin. I tried both of those things, and they didnt help, and I have made sure with my old computer as well as my iPod that the problem is not the speakers.

Atech, I am running XP64.

I am just worried that if the sound being static-y is due to defect on the motherboard and not because of the sound quality of the ALC883 sound codec is bad . . . It just worries me that I have a less than perfect motherboard. I heard other people complain about their onboard sound too, but my old computer has no problem with onboard sound. Could things like having SLi video cards affect the quality of the sound?

Auch, in my book XP64 is bad, and anyone should stay away..the drivers are really...lacking.
And in my experince onbaord sound is never an optimal solution.

Ya, but I had to use XP-64 so i can utilize my 4GB of ram, 32bits can only recognize 3GBs. Now I donno if the problem is due to the driver, operating system, chip on the motherboard, or the interference from other things i have on my mobo. Usually onboard sound has lacking quality but should not static like what i have. *sigh*.

Ya, but I had to use XP-64 so i can utilize my 4GB of ram, 32bits can only recognize 3GBs. Now I donno if the problem is due to the driver, operating system, chip on the motherboard, or the interference from other things i have on my mobo. Usually onboard sound has lacking quality but should not static like what i have. *sigh*.

Pull one unit out at the time, that is the only way to find the culprit sorry.
I do you mind me asking when do you use more than 2GB of RAM?
Not have...but actually utilize?

I get the static-y noise from the optical output when I play windows system sounds or MP3's through Itune as well. Should I RMA my motherboard?

Do not hook them up with an optical cable! You are using the speaker's processing unit! Are you sending a PCM signal to them?

I believe that these can be hooked up VIA USB too. That's going to sound pretty bad as well..

that realtek 1.90 HD driver does have some poping issues, it comes and goes on my box, hope they will fix on next drop....

I inherited a box with an Abit AX78 MoBo + Win XP 64. The MoBo has 7.1 surround and it sounds great when listening to music or watching movies. But, when I am in Cakewalk's Sonar SH 6 XL (a digital music program) I get popping. No matter what I do, what combination of parameters I tweak in Sonar and/or in the sound chips' driver software, I get pops. Sound is great, but I can't use the computer for the purpose.

I don't think it's your MoBo, but short of trying out another MoBo of the same caliber I don't think how one can determine the reason for having the problem. The Auzentech costs more than a MoBo. Other people use XP 64 and have no problems. Some others have. Who knows? All I know it's extremely aggravating. Let us know how you've made out.

Sylva.

I don't think anybody should waste their time talking to you until you drop a damn soundcard in the box. Most obvious fix I've ever seen.

Back