Stealth comp

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
I hid a computer under the couch in my dorm room, remote desktop in for changes, nobody will ever know. the mighty 2ghz celeron folds on! pics to come a whooping 180ppd

that would be so nice in the winter... a preheated couch!!! that would be perfect.

how are the temps on the rig looking?

pics NO later than 5:30pm est tonight

its a celeron 2.0ghz for a customer, i don't care what the temps are, nothing critical for a stock machine probably <40c loaded. Actually the way it works out in my dorm its within 2ft of my switch, cat5 right into it.

Anybody else have stealthy setups?

Does it count as stealth if it's the only one in a case, surrounded by four or five that are just boards sitting on the floor? :) They're all running...

counts for me

I call this one [H[ard to find.
I could/will seriously stuff 20 of these suckers under my couch 2 deep, 2 high 5 wide easy. Anybody have any more of these small cases?

dsc00297smallkl5.jpg

that would be so nice in the winter... a preheated couch!!! that would be perfect.

how are the temps on the rig looking?

Actually at my old house i ran one in my closet, kicked ass, warm clothes every morning.

Actually at my old house i ran one in my closet, kicked ass, warm clothes every morning.

you truly are a genius. i always nixed the idea because of poor heat circulation but the awesome side affect of warm clothes never came to mind. i have a low powered system i've been wanting to run ubuntu on and i didn't have a place to put it... until now!

it was a dual p3 more or less idled all day, file server, occasional torrent box, really it just collected dust and cost my parents money to run. it ran on ice all the time though, 30C or so

nice, all you need is a camera, and a girl to strip for you infront of the couch! Ohh wait... is that bad? lol

I hid a computer under the couch in my dorm room, remote desktop in for changes, nobody will ever know. the mighty 2ghz celeron folds on! pics to come a whooping 180ppd
PICS!!

Pics on what they are doing on TOP of the COUCH!!

Are they folding :)

This is a true hobbitt

1 stealth comp is getting lonely, time for a new recruit, reformatting a p3 600 right now, does ram affect folding? it only has 128, other slot is broke.

1 stealth comp is getting lonely, time for a new recruit, reformatting a p3 600 right now, does ram affect folding? it only has 128, other slot is broke.

It should be fine if you use small wu, but if it's big eh more likely yeah so fold using small wu

is small wu a program or a setting? if so where do i find it

you find it when you configure the client... It'll ask you if you want it to run as a big wu or not, say no... This may be in the advanced options in the -configonly flag... So just keep an eye on this "big wu" and also it should mention something like this use >5 MB just say no to this cause then that shall enforce the small wu...

U should not have a problem when setting up for this as long u keep an eye out

Ok yeah I know what your talking about, what kind of PPD can these put out, I have another 600 or so maybe worth putting to work?

Also im just letting them sit folded shut ontop one another, how long can they be expected to last? I'd like to sell them and pay for a quad core or something?

Ok yeah I know what your talking about, what kind of PPD can these put out, I have another 600 or so maybe worth putting to work?

Also im just letting them sit folded shut ontop one another, how long can they be expected to last? I'd like to sell them and pay for a quad core or something?

P3 ? well for them pentium 3s... they don't do much points...

My P4 1.8 gets ~70PPD in XP w/ 256 ram, so less than that? :D

still points though

Yeah, you're probably better served by selling the P3's and using the money to go toward a dual- or quad-core machine. Running a P3 like that will get you only something like 25 ppd

fahmon reports 65ppd, when its not *hung* not too bad?

im in the process of selling my three laptops p3, p3, p4-m to get a better one, maybe for folding if it dosen't toast it

eh...

have a 200mhz pentium 1 not doing anything, but is huge case, so wouldn't be able to put it anywhere cool...

also got a 1ghz P3 running XP for music playing etc, but i dunno whether that would get much more of a score than the P1...

might be getting some old dell P4's from school at the end of the year so i will run them at my mate's house for folding (never actually been able to get folding working in the first place...)

my parents probably wouldn't like the power consumption of them, and my internet is crap at the mo, so they would just slow it down more...

eh...

have a 200mhz pentium 1 not doing anything, but is huge case, so wouldn't be able to put it anywhere cool...

also got a 1ghz P3 running XP for music playing etc, but i dunno whether that would get much more of a score than the P1...

might be getting some old dell P4's from school at the end of the year so i will run them at my mate's house for folding (never actually been able to get folding working in the first place...)

my parents probably wouldn't like the power consumption of them, and my internet is crap at the mo, so they would just slow it down more...

The P100 would never meet the deadlines of any of the WUs so you can't fold on it. There is a chance you could put in on WCG and just sorta forget about it. It wold probably work for that as it doesn't seem WCG has time limits on the WUs.

The PIII 1 Ghz would finish all normal WUs with plenty of time for spare for F@H. Based on my previous observations with folding on my PIII 800, that 1Ghz box should do about 40 PPD or so on regular WUs. Due to the extra load which as been put on it, I switched my PIII 800 over to WCG. It has done about 24k points on that project since mid-September. The points between F@H and WCG are not comparable but the statswhore in me likes seeing the higher points for a slower box.

Once my AMD X2 arrives this coming week, I'm probably going to overclock the piss out of it, stick it on the Linux SMP F@H client, then move my XP1700+ machine to WCG. It puts out a respectable 90PPD on the "good" work units (overclocked from 1.46 to 1.65) but it would probably be more beneficial for WCG use. I'm also going to try and bring up a T-Bird 1.2 from spare parts and run WCG on it also. Due to the lack of SSE, it would get horrible PPD on F@H right now as the vast majority of the WUs require SSE to process quickly. But it should do a damn good job of running WCG.

Back