Steam account retrieval

SouLXIV

Gawd
hmmm seems like my steam account just got hijacked today...was on it and then says I got kicked off. I said lost password, and it said to go to my email, only to see a message saying that my email has already been changed. Don't know how it happened, computer is clean and everything.

But yeah how hard is it to get my account back? I sent a steam question/support ticket and supplied the CD key and stuff.

Yep its stolen, this has happened to me before, just contact the Steam support online and make a help request under stolen account, which you have already done, so eventually you should get a email back from them telling you to change your password or whatever. You are on the right track.

How could something like this happen without any virus?

I would like to know this too. I see a good amount of "My Steam account has been stolen" threads and the OP always states they don't have an infected computer, so how exactly are these accounts being stolen?

I would like to know this too. I see a good amount of "My Steam account has been stolen" threads and the OP always states they don't have an infected computer, so how exactly are these accounts being stolen?

Chief reasons that happens:
Tricked into giving the password to someone. (yeah, it does happen)
Loan account to friend who then loans your password out to some one else.
Use their account on another pc somewhere and that pc is compromised or they check "save account info".
They really do have a key logger installed on their PC and either their AV does not catch it or they are one of those people too "smart" to get a virus and therefore don't use AV.
Someone brute forces or guesses their password.
Or like my kid, saves all their passwords in a little black book and their room mate gets a hold of it and screws with them.

Mostly preventable.

I honestly don't know how...it was completely random. I never gave my pass to anyone, not even my account ID. But we got 4 computers/3 laptops in the house, and I've probably used my account on more than half of them, so it could be one of those that had a keylogger. I guess I should check :S.

I've noticed this flaw in Steam security for awhile and it bothers me.

Only one account can play a game, yet steam allows same account up multiple times when not playing.

There are fake steam sites like steamcommunity.com or steamgames.com that have identical design and layout as the real steam site and attemp to trick you to enter your email & PW.
No virus, no key logger involved as the user himself gives out his PW...very sneaky trick.

err, steamcommunity.com IS the steam community site.

In fact, the steam games store directs to it.

Are you ***ing kidding me? So they take 3 days to respond after II sent them my CD key, my secret question and answer, my original email, and all games that I've bought, and they ask me to handwrite my request and scan it? Do they think I'm a spambot or something?I don't even have a scanner handy...

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello XXX,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

In order to investigate this issue, we must verify your ownership of the software and associated Steam Account(s).

If you purchased software through Steam with a credit card, please confirm the card type (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express), full name, expiration date, and last four digits of the card used with the order(s).

If you purchased software through Steam through PayPal, please provide the PayPal account holder billing information (name and address) and the PayPal Invoice ID.

If you registered software purchased at a retail location, please handwrite your Support Incident Reference No. 4018-WPZV-4498 on the quick reference card or sticker above the CD Key and reply with a digital photo or scan of the CD Key. Please ensure that you submit a full-color image, rather than a photocopy.

After verifying your proof of ownership we will gladly assist you with this issue.

Are you ***ing kidding me? So they take 3 days to respond after II sent them my CD key, my secret question and answer, my original email, and all games that I've bought, and they ask me to handwrite my request and scan it? Do they think I'm a spambot or something?I don't even have a scanner handy...

Hello,

Hello XXX,

In order to investigate this issue, we must verify your ownership of the software and associated Steam Account(s).

If you purchased software through Steam with a credit card, please confirm the card type (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express), full name, expiration date, and last four digits of the card used with the order(s).

If you purchased software through Steam through PayPal, please provide the PayPal account holder billing information (name and address) and the PayPal Invoice ID.

If you registered software purchased at a retail location, please handwrite your Support Incident Reference No. 4018-WPZV-4498 on the quick reference card or sticker above the CD Key and reply with a digital photo or scan of the CD Key. Please ensure that you submit a full-color image, rather than a photocopy.

After verifying your proof of ownership we will gladly assist you with this issue.

Thats weird, i didn't have to go through that. I gave them the CD key to my Half Life EP1 which i bought retail and it wasn't a problem.

Hello,

Hello XXX,

Be thankful they're at least letting you do it completely digital.
I still have yet to be credited by Half-Life 1 Platinum to my Steam account because they wanted me to SEND IN the CD-key w/ $10.
The fuck??

Do you...
A: have a camera?
B: cellphone that has a camera?
C: friends that have A or B?
D: friends that have a scaner?

It's not that hard.

Back