STEAM Problems

Itchyeyes

Gawd
Ok, so I downloaded Civ 4: Beyond the Sword the other day from STEAM. Big mistake. After struggling with it for 5 days, I still can't get it to work. I've submitted comments through STEAM's abysmal support service but have not received any kind of response. Is there any other way to contact STEAM for technical support? Is anyone else having problems with this game? Is there any way I can get my money refunded if I can't get it to work? I honestly don't know what else to do at this point.

Ok, so I downloaded Civ 4: Beyond the Sword the other day from STEAM. Big mistake. After struggling with it for 5 days, I still can't get it to work. I've submitted comments through STEAM's abysmal support service but have not received any kind of response. Is there any other way to contact STEAM for technical support? Is anyone else having problems with this game? Is there any way I can get my money refunded if I can't get it to work? I honestly don't know what else to do at this point.

Better choice for these questions:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

And if your having problems with your downloaded game, have you tried totally deleting it and redownloading?

Better choice for these questions:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

And if your having problems with your downloaded game, have you tried totally deleting it and redownloading?
I signed up for the STEAM forums but I can't post a new topic until an administrator grants me that level of access, which they haven't. And I have tried completely uninstalling the game, as well as STEAM, and several other courses of action the STEAM support boards suggested and nothing has helped.

Interesting. I've downloaded several third-party games from Steam and never had any problems getting them to run.

What exactly is the issue you are having?
It's the 'this game is currently unavailable error'. And before you suggest it, yes I have already tried all of the solutions for it listed on the STEAM support website and none of them work.

Interesting. I've downloaded several third-party games from Steam and never had any problems getting them to run.
I too have downloaded at least 5 different titles from STEAM in the past and this is the first time I have ever run into trouble.

Beyond the Sword is an expansion pack for Civ 4. Do you have the full version of Civ 4? Is it also from Steam? If not, that may be the problem.

Yes I have the full version of Civ 4, and yes I have already tried disabling my firewall.

i love STEAM!!!!! ive had it since the day hl2 came out and its only been down once that i can remember.

i love STEAM!!!!! ive had it since the day hl2 came out and its only been down once that i can remember.

I'm sure he finds that information of great benefit.

Have you tried reinstalling steam altogether? That might have been one of the solutions on the steam FAQ thing, I don't know. If so, disregard.

Yeah, I tried reinstalling STEAM, and it does work. But only for one play session. Once I've started the game once it goes back to giving me the error message.

Close steam, go to the steam root directory and delete "clientregistry.blob". Restart steam and see if it worked.

You didn't respond as to whether or not the version of Civ 4 you have is the Steam version or CD/DVD.

Yeah, I tried reinstalling STEAM, and it does work. But only for one play session. Once I've started the game once it goes back to giving me the error message.

WAit, you did not specify, did you buy the original Civ4 from steam or not? Because if not that is your problem right here.

It doesn't matter what version of Civ4 you have as both will work.
I was under the impression that you had to register the game with steam so it knows you have it. Just having a hard copy installed does you no good. I had to do the same thing with all my stuff (cs, dod, half life, etc) when steam first came out.

Close steam, go to the steam root directory and delete "clientregistry.blob". Restart steam and see if it worked.

That should do it. When you uninstall Steam, I don't believe clientregistry is removed.

A general rule of thumb with steam: if you run into problems, close steam, delete that file and restart steam. It resolves a bunch of the little issues.

Are you running behind a router? Maybe you should redo your network so that you are running straight into the modem. Im thinking that maybe its a firewall/router issue.

Regarding the version compatibility: I have the DVD version of Titan Quest, but could not use the Steam version of the expansion with it. I had to buy the DVD version of the expansion for them to work together. I was notified via Steam when browsing for the game that this was the case, so I am not sure if I would have been able to download it independently. So it could be that Civ 4 and the expansion both need to be Steam versions (or both DVD) for them to work together.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I figured out the problem. It was an authorization issue with Vista. I had already tried right clicking and choosing 'run as admin' but apparently that wasn't good enough for Vista, it needed me to go into the setting for the .exe file and change it so it always runs as admin.

Ok, so I have Half Life 2 and HL2: Episode One.. I have Steam installed.

Here's the question, do I have to be connected to the internet to play these games? It seems like I do cuz the games won't play without Steam running or verifying me.

Or, once I've registered them with Steam, can I just put the DVD/CD disc in the drive and they will play if I am nowhere near the internet?

Or is there a way around these measures? seems dumb that you have to be connected to play.

Ok, so I have Half Life 2 and HL2: Episode One.. I have Steam installed.

Here's the question, do I have to be connected to the internet to play these games? It seems like I do cuz the games won't play without Steam running or verifying me.

Or, once I've registered them with Steam, can I just put the DVD/CD disc in the drive and they will play if I am nowhere near the internet?

Or is there a way around these measures? seems dumb that you have to be connected to play.

steam must be running to play any game on it.

you have to fully connect and update the games on the internet through steam, once you do this you can play with offline mode on steam. you don't need the disc in the drive to play.

so once i update/register my games, i should be able to play them without being connected to the internet.

or do i still have to connect with steam, before switching to offline mode

seems totally stupid, to have to be connected to the internet to play a game you purchased.. sigh

you must set steam to remember your login info, then once your all updated switch to offline mode.

yeah read the system requirements, an internet connection is one of them.

Back