Stereovision... What happened?

Devnull

[H]F Junkie
I remember having a pair of Wicked3d "EyeScream" glasses and they were amazing with my Voodoo2 SLI. Since those days it seems like nvidia has had a little support for stereovision, but not much and none from ATI? Stereoscopic gaming was really awesome. I don't see why this isn't more common these days and why it seems to have gone completely in the other direction.

Did anyone else have a H3D style setup of shutter glasses? Those were good times. Anyone currently using stereovision?

The stereo vision had a few flaws:

1. It required a 120 Hz or faster refresh rate = no LCD
2. It caused headaches.
3. It was hard to hit anything, had some weird parallax issues going on.

BBA said:

2. It caused headaches.

http://www.edimensional.com/ Those guys have glasses that are supposed to work with LCDs... I guess I am lucky that I never experienced the headaches and didn't have any trouble aiming. I just remember how cool it was when things appeared to pop right out of the screen.

BBA said:

Tolerable up to 85hz. If your resolution can only go up to 60hz, it's still possible, but it'll start to get jittery. Have a bottle of aspirins ready.

2. It caused headaches.

Certain people have trouble focusing. Your eyes are converging at a target that's supposed to be at 100 meters.But your retinas (can't recall my biology at the moment) are focused at 3 feet. The brain is straining to make sense of the conflict, usually enough to cause migraines. Once you get used to it tho, you'll be able to play in 3D like normal.

True. If you've ever tried firing a gun with both eyes, you'll know it's IMPOSSIBLE to hit anything. That's why nVidia drivers included the laser-sight. It's a transparent reticle that uses hitscan to try to predict the depth of what you're looking at and overlays the reticle appropriately for each eye. I usually take out the game reticle and use laser-sight instead.

No problem for diorama type games (Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider, Max Payne, etc.), since you barely have to aim to hit anything.

Parallax issues, convergence points, etc. are adjustable via hotkeys. I think the driver saves your settings too. Theres a game profile you can customize for each game. If you don't want the hassle, someone was nice enough to make a utility that lets you easily load new profiles made by other people.

Stereo glasses are a non-issue. There's zero quality difference between a 10 year old goggle you can find in a bargain bin and a 100 dollar edimensional glasses (Except the new ones are more stylish). All the dongle does is switch eyes whenever it detects a signal on the v-pin.

BTW, don't even consider using it for RTS. Warcraft3 and C&C Generals does look cool. But i'll tell you right now that it really is near *impossible* to click anything. Your cursor is floating a hundred feet in the air. You can't tell which unit is under it.

Devnull said:
http://www.edimensional.com/ Those guys have glasses that are supposed to work with LCDs... I guess I am lucky that I never experienced the headaches and didn't have any trouble aiming. I just remember how cool it was when things appeared to pop right out of the screen.

bought one of those, didnt work on my lcd.

Heh heh, I'm partially blind in my left eye, so Stereovision never really worked for me (I have depth perception issues). But it was an interesting concept to say the least. LCDs definitely put a wrench into the works, though.

I remember trying to get mine working with my Ti4800 when it was brand spanking new out of the box, Battlefield 1942 wouldn't work correctly but Solider of fortune 2 did, i remember first using them mp5 online and the shell casings comeing flying out the side of the gun (and partly upwards) and almost lerching backwards out of my chair to avoid them.

It was a very cool effect, 60hz is never good on the eyes but it was worth it just for the coolness factor. 120hz monitor was never a problem for me, my Iiyama Vision Master Pro does that refresh at 1600 1200 resolution IIRC.

Just buy video headsets and you should be all good to go :)

Back