Steve Jobs Taking Medical Leave Until June

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Apple CEO Steve Jobs is taking a medical leave of absence until the end of June. The reason given was that his medical problems turned out to be “more complex than originally thought.” Uh oh.

Jobs, a pancreatic cancer survivor, said, however, he planned to remain involved in major strategic decisions while he's away. Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook will take responsibility for day-to-day operations in Jobs' absence.

More complex than he orginally thought, just as bad as the rest of the world thought.

"Simple", "Straightforward", "Hormonal Imbalance"..... my ass.

This is why I can't stand not only Apple or Steve Jobs. The lies, deception, and secrecy in that place is second only to the US Government.

Dont forget they're Dells too, atleast they are in the hospital my wife works at, lol.

I actually think that apple's EULA prevents them from being used in hospitals.

I can't find it now but I remember somebody pointing out where it gave a list of places it couldn't be used. I remember power plants was one of them, I believe hospitals were another. I think it stated how you could not use them in an environment where the stablity of a system was directly related to the health of a person or the upkeep of a service. So no iMacs in hospitals monitor people, no iMacs monitoring the power plant to ensure it is producing power. No iMacs being used to control missles....

Well well well, finally confirming what the rest of the world knew.

We'll see how much of Steve's health was already priced into the stock by tomorrow. Right now its at around $79 in after-hours trading, right at the 52 week low set in mid-November.

Anybody remember that article just a week ago that was posted on the front page?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28504425
"No more. The shorts lose. Time to cover, and go slinking back into the shadows. (I have no qualms about betting against a company, by the way. I'm speaking to the message board wackos and blog posters who have been fueling this garbage heap day after day with lies. Your day in the sun is now over.)"

NOW the guy who wrote that has been saying on the air he knew all along Jobs was more ill than he was indicating in his own writing.

Anybody remember that article just a week ago that was posted on the front page?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28504425
"No more. The shorts lose. Time to cover, and go slinking back into the shadows. (I have no qualms about betting against a company, by the way. I'm speaking to the message board wackos and blog posters who have been fueling this garbage heap day after day with lies. Your day in the sun is now over.)"

NOW the guy who wrote that has been saying on the air he knew all along Jobs was more ill than he was indicating in his own writing.

The clowns at CNBC are just that: clowns.

If you want to do what the rest of the investor sheep do and buy at the highs and sell at the lows, follow CNBC to the letter. ;)

well if I was Jobs and got AIDS from a banging sluts I wouldn't want the world to know as well. really can't blame him for hiding it.

Do you expect anything more from Apple fans? I've said it before: Double Standards rule the Cult.

Do you expect anything more from Apple fans? I've said it before: Double Standards rule the Cult.

It has everything to do with him being an anchor on CNBC. The "standards" that people like Cramer, Kudlow, etc, hold are sickening. Cramer in particular is king of flipping his opinion. In July he "draws a line in the sand" (his words) and calls a "bottom", and then in October he claims that he was bearish all summer and was telling people to get out of the market.

Unbelievable.

I knew it. His cancer is probably in relapse, and the recent weight lost is caused by chemo treatments.

This is why I can't stand not only Apple or Steve Jobs. The lies, deception, and secrecy in that place is second only to the US Government.
Google neuroendocrine tumor or Whipple might make things more simple. Might not depends on reading comprehension.

I actually think that apple's EULA prevents them from being used in hospitals.

I can't find it now but I remember somebody pointing out where it gave a list of places it couldn't be used. I remember power plants was one of them, I believe hospitals were another. I think it stated how you could not use them in an environment where the stablity of a system was directly related to the health of a person or the upkeep of a service. So no iMacs in hospitals monitor people, no iMacs monitoring the power plant to ensure it is producing power. No iMacs being used to control missles....

Ironic people bring their personal Apple laptops to work in the hospital because they dont crash and freeze all the time like the windows laptops. Even more ironic the overpriced windows laptops are even more expensive than a Mackbook.

Hang in there Steve, most these HardOCP peeps are too young to know...

If he dies, then it will be a truly sad day. Without him, PCs (Personal Computers) would have taken much longer to be affordable.

Apple showed what could be done.

And I started with Trash 80s, then Atari's, but Apple was the leader.

If he dies, then it will be a truly sad day. Without him, PCs (Personal Computers) would have taken much longer to be affordable.

Apples back then were *NEVER* cheap. The Commodores, TI-99/4a's and Atari's were major brands that were cheap. Applie *CLONES* were cheap, though. I would say that Jobs made PC's more affordable at all. If anything he tried to keep them more expensive:
Gen 1 Macs, NeXt's and all the "Can't make a laptop for less than $500 that isn't crap" current Macs... they were ALL more expensive than the average computer at the time of release.

LOL

Ironic people bring their personal Apple laptops to work in the hospital because they dont crash and freeze all the time like the windows laptops. Even more ironic the overpriced windows laptops are even more expensive than a Mackbook.

I'm not sure what your post is trying to point out. I'm not the one that wrote the Apple EULA. That is actually part of the EULA

I found that they had the EULA posted on their site. http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html

C. Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Note you can NOT use it in life support machine or whever its failure could result in death, personal injury, or severe damage. So I would take that as meaning that you CANNOT use it in a hospital for monitoring a patient. If a hospital somewhere is actually using apple products for something other than signing people in then they are violating the EULA. And we all know how Apple frowns upon that. And if your windows machines locks up on you that much you might want to get it check out as that shouldn't happen. Any OS now adays should be stable enough to run on your machine just fine with very few stability issues. Just as most should have any major security flaws fixed up. This isn't 1999 any more, your windows boxs aren't going to crash al lthe time, any new install of an OS with the patches installing will not get hacked into in 5 minutes of being online withou you doing something to help them get in. As for the cost, you have to comapare what you get. Lower end machine might be about the same as their pc counter part, but some of the higher end ones are a little higher for less. Looking at a XPS One 24 vs iMac 24

XPS One 24 - Q8200 (2.33ghz), 4GB ram, 720GB HD, 512MB Geforce 9600M GT $1899
iMac 24 - core 2 duo 3.06Ghz, 2 GB ram, 500GB HD, 512Mb Geforce 8800GS $2199
iMac 24 - core 2 duo 2.8Ghz, 2GB ram, 320GB, 256MB radeon hd 2600 pro $1799

of course you could price out a machine with an i7 965 cpu, 24GB DDR3, 4 1.5TB hard drives and 3 1792MB Geforce GTX 295 in tri-sli and spend a lot more than you would on a mac desktop, but you also are getting a lot more than you would with that mac.

And if your windows machines locks up on you that much you might want to get it check out as that shouldn't happen.

Medical field is highly regulated, restricted, and tested. You simply don't have those issues in that field.

Apples back then were *NEVER* cheap. The Commodores, TI-99/4a's and Atari's were major brands that were cheap. Applie *CLONES* were cheap, though. I would say that Jobs made PC's more affordable at all. If anything he tried to keep them more expensive:
Gen 1 Macs, NeXt's and all the "Can't make a laptop for less than $500 that isn't crap" current Macs... they were ALL more expensive than the average computer at the time of release.

Ok least you forget..
Apple 1 1976
Apple II came out in 1977
Commodore PET 1977 (no graphics)
Atari 400/800 1979 2 years later (I still have and it works!)
TI-99/4a 1981 4 years later.

A good history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I

Medical field is highly regulated, restricted, and tested. You simply don't have those issues in that field.

Yah, there is that also. They test and retest and test everything again. Nothing gets released until they are sure it is going to be stable...

I wasn't trying to say that it would happen in the medial field. As Smoken Joe made a comment about people in hospitals having to bring in their own personal apple laptops due to how much windows machine crash I was just telling him that if he has a windows machine that crashes and freezes enough for it to be a problem for him that he probably should get it looked at as that isn't right. Not only for the medial area where they ensure that stuff is going to work but even everywhere else. If you or I or anybody goes and buys a laptop or builds a windows machine or buys a windows machine they should not have to worry about the machine crashing or freezing on them to the point where the machine is unsable. If it does there it isn't windows that is the problem but something else.

But yes you are correct, in the medical field that is even less like to be an issue.

Ever dawn on you it is a private matter that he wants to keep private?

Bwhahahahahahahah. Hahahahahaah. Ha.

Back in the day, Apples were over priced and under powered. My C-64 and later Amigas crushed them like bugs and cost way less.

I knew a guy who payed $10k for a Mac II new when they came out. I laughed at him. And he cried when I demoed my meager A500.

PCs (in the generic sense) became cheaper because Apples and IBMs were stupidly expensive and others saw opportunity. So I guess you could say Apple led the way by showing others how not to do it.

He is entitled to that of course. But his health directly affects others. The market is currently in a state of irrationality seldom seen. People will freak out. Up front honesty rather than "I'm OK, no big deal" followed by "Glaaarrrrggggggg....my spleen....." is the way to go for someone in his position. IMHO of course.

APPL employee stock options underwater in 3...2...1...

He is entitled to that of course. But his health directly affects others. The market is currently in a state of irrationality seldom seen. People will freak out. Up front honesty rather than "I'm OK, no big deal" followed by "Glaaarrrrggggggg....my spleen....." is the way to go for someone in his position. IMHO of course.

It's AAPL, sorry couldn't help it. ;)

Yah, there is that also. They test and retest and test everything again. Nothing gets released until they are sure it is going to be stable...

I wasn't trying to say that it would happen in the medial field. As Smoken Joe made a comment about people in hospitals having to bring in their own personal apple laptops due to how much windows machine crash I was just telling him that if he has a windows machine that crashes and freezes enough for it to be a problem for him that he probably should get it looked at as that isn't right. Not only for the medial area where they ensure that stuff is going to work but even everywhere else. If you or I or anybody goes and buys a laptop or builds a windows machine or buys a windows machine they should not have to worry about the machine crashing or freezing on them to the point where the machine is unsable. If it does there it isn't windows that is the problem but something else.

But yes you are correct, in the medical field that is even less like to be an issue.

The real world has a way of biting you in the ass. See office space? The same mentality goes into controlling the network and its computers.

They get around the EULA restriction by stating that there are back up systems. No Apples are not going to be use on life support systems but then you are not going to have a windows system there either.

Windows systems can be used for collecting and accessing that info as long as there is a back up. The problem with the Windows laptops is the Windows ecosystem and the network management. There are multiple security programs on the windows machines and they dont play well with others. On top of that they are a profound resource hog 512-1GB is OK on a home computer but a small hiccup when two security programs clash means you are booted off the server and you get lock ups. The consultants say it is all user error though...........................

You know this isn't funny anymore or a windows Vs. Mac Bill Vs. Jobs thing. This is getting serious, I truly believe this guy is dying and doesn't have a quick and sure fire way to transition the company from his driving force to being self sufficient but yet has to explain his lack of appearance.

From one person to another I hope for the best and God speed.

Stu-

Agreed. Steve Jobs did great things for Apple and they have put out some damn fine products during his tenure.

He's not entitled to privacy. I will repeat, it is illegal for him not to disclose serious medical issues. My father is the COO and EVP of his company and had to disclose that he is seeking treatment for diabetes - if he were to have to leave the company for medical reasons it would fail. It's the same for Steve Jobs.

When your CEO's health directly impacts his performance and well-being of the company, he is legally obligated to divulge that information. It's obvious the rumors have been true, and he HASN'T been telling the truth.

There's a possibility nothing would come of this, but if someone wanted to bring legal action... it's be easily done. They knowingly witheld information that now resulted from him being able to perform his job duties, and I highly doubt he's coming back.

No Apples are not going to be use on life support systems but then you are not going to have a windows system there either.
I don't know what yo';re smoken.... but Windows ARE used in those systems as well. Apple simply doesn't want the liability (which goes to show you how competent they feel their OS is...)

know the law before acting like you do. The laws on when an exec has to reveal health issues is vague and completely unclear. in fact, ask any securities lawyer and he will tell you the only thing Apple could get nailed on is if other employees have knowledge of a more serious, undisclosed, health issues and are selling off stock before the news breaks.

When your CEO's health directly impacts his performance and well-being of the company, he is legally obligated to divulge that information. It's obvious the rumors have been true, and he HASN'T been telling the truth.

There's a possibility nothing would come of this, but if someone wanted to bring legal action... it's be easily done. They knowingly witheld information that now resulted from him being able to perform his job duties, and I highly doubt he's coming back.

See above.

Back