Stock Haswell Heatsink

eurin

[H]ard|Gawd
How is it's cooling and sound performance? I'm building a workstation for a friend. I had the Coolermaster 212 Plus budgeted for $25 ($20 AR).

If it is anything at all like the Ivy/Sandy stock coolers you will want that 212.

Yup, stock coolers pretty much suck for Ivy and Haswell. You are better off spending $20 and getting a better cooling and quieter solution.

I'll definitely be buying a better cooler soon.

I did my new build yesterday. With the stock cooler I'm aidling around 32-35C and peaking at about 100C in Prime95.

4770K, no overclock.

I'm considering water for the first time actually. (anyone recommend a quality, bang-for-the-buck, all in one water cooling kit?).

When I quit Prime the temps drop back to 50C really quickly but then settle more slowly back to 32-35C.

I'll definitely be buying a better cooler soon.

I did my new build yesterday. With the stock cooler I'm aidling around 32-35C and peaking at about 100C in Prime95.

4770K, no overclock.

I'm considering water for the first time actually. (anyone recommend a quality, bang-for-the-buck, all in one water cooling kit?).

When I quit Prime the temps drop back to 50C really quickly but then settle more slowly back to 32-35C.
Is that at stock temps? That's a bit high there.

Far as all in one water goes I personally wouldn't. You can get similar temps out of air vs. the AIO water. I'd recommend a 212-EVO or something else similar. I recall Noctua has a 140mm one that's got good reviews.

Yeah, those are stock.

Its making me wonder if a corner clip for the HS is loose or something.

Yeah, those are stock.

Its making me wonder if a corner clip for the HS is loose or something.

Reseat the HS, 100C at stock is to high, even for a stock cooler unless the room the PC is in is really warm.

I'll do that but I'll just snag a new cooler if I'm going to bother.

The clips on the stock cooler are pretty janky overall and didn't seem to provide much pressure.

Do you think 100 is approaching dangerous? Should be safe to do some gaming tonight and deal w/the hardware tomorrow eh?

Is it quieter? I have a stock Sandy Bridge HSF in my HTPC and it's too freaking loud.

The 212 is so cheap, it doesn't make sense to run the stock cooler. I have never run a stock cooler since a good aftermarket one has always been super cheap.
You can even resell the stock cooler to offset some of the cost.

My 2 cents!

4770K, no overclock.

Heh. And who says that Intel has stopped catering to the enthusiast? In a twisted sense, if your temps are a microchosm of the arch as a whole, their desktop chips are catered only to the enthusiast in that everyone will have to delid and manually reapply TIM. Ain't no casual user going to bother with that. ;)

My perception of the stock HS was that it wasn't loud, wasn't quiet. So so, I guess.

However, I removed the stock HS today and put a Noctua NH-D14 in;)

Idle dropped a degree or two (down to 30-31C) and Prime95 load temp was ~70C.

**Side note: Noctua lists the "Patriot Viper Series" as incompatible w/the fit of the NH-D14 but it worked just fine for me.

Last edited:
Back