Stock Intel fan

I was curious about the fan that came with my E6300.

First of all it takes a good 3 seconds for the fan to start after my computer is turned on is this normal?

Secondly, after working all day when I was away from my computer for a while I came back to see the cpu fan had shut off, and thankfully my computer was just idling. The heatsink itsself didn't feel hot, just warm to the touch. Everything seems to be working great still, so i luckily no harm done it seems.

Third, even when running dual instances of the latest S&M stress program the cpu temperature will continue to rise, and the fan never really kicks it into high gear as i assume it would. (I haven't seen the fan go > 1700rpm, which is quiet but seemingly low)

I have the Gigabyte DS3 motherboard, 2x1GB of G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK, ATI X1950Pro, x-fi extreme music, WD 250gb hd, and 2 dvd burners powered by the 520w HX Corsair PSU

Is this possibly a motherboard problem, or one with the fan? Or even something else

The fan shuts itself off if the temperature is low enough (usually set in the bios - mines set for 25C so i am suprised it was off) and maxes out at 1700RPM according to my Biostar Software (lets me control the speed - 100% is 1700RPM)

As for the delay in starting mine seems to come on pretty quickly, but if its running when you need it i really wouldnt worry about it too much.

Hmm, i turned on after a night's rest and got into the BIOS where the idle was 16C, and like yours my fan did turn on once it hit 25

Can anyone with a DS3 comment on if you can change this?

Also i did see my cpu fan get up to 1700rpm, so maybe that is it's max

I plan on buying a diff hs/fan either way

I have a stock Intel fan, but not from my E6300, and it has to get really hot to crank up. Normal running is 2600rpm, and even gaming it doesn't kick above 3k until the temp is over 50*C.

-bZj

chinesepiratefood said:
I was curious about the fan that came with my E6300.

First of all it takes a good 3 seconds for the fan to start after my computer is turned on is this normal?

Secondly, after working all day when I was away from my computer for a while I came back to see the cpu fan had shut off, and thankfully my computer was just idling. The heatsink itsself didn't feel hot, just warm to the touch. Everything seems to be working great still, so i luckily no harm done it seems.

Third, even when running dual instances of the latest S&M stress program the cpu temperature will continue to rise, and the fan never really kicks it into high gear as i assume it would. (I haven't seen the fan go > 1700rpm, which is quiet but seemingly low)

I have the Gigabyte DS3 motherboard, 2x1GB of G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK, ATI X1950Pro, x-fi extreme music, WD 250gb hd, and 2 dvd burners powered by the 520w HX Corsair PSU

Is this possibly a motherboard problem, or one with the fan? Or even something else

The C2D stock fan's maximum RPM is only around 2200RPM. Yours is clearly under smart fan control and as stated you can turn it off in the bios. At such low RPM the stock fan is very quiet and does a reasonable gob up to about 3 gig O/C.

I assume you are not O/C with such low idle temps. There does not seem to be an issue here at all, everything you have posted seems perfectly normal.

Back