stock speeds, stock cooling e6600 temps

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope that this isn't something that gets asked an awful lot, and I did try and search around including off site, so if there is easily had information I suck at searching :\.

Anyway, according to speedfan this thing is idling at 50c, which to me seems really high. Any input on what it should be at stock would be helpful. Should I really need to change the hsf even for stock speeds? If so I guess I'll go read up on good quiet coolers. This thing is too loud for my tastes anyway...

Thanks in advance :)

I'm going to level wid you, I haven't used a stock HSF in a long time.

I have a E6600 OC'ed to 2.8 GHZ and here are my stats:
BIOS readings:
312 fsb,
cpu temp = 26c to 27c (my ambient temp is 21c to 22c),
vcore = 1.325v

winders readings:
Core Temp = 20c idle (I think this is obviously mistaken, lower than ambient temp air cooling :eek: )
uGuru = 23c idle (I have a AW9D-MAX board and I can't seem to make it work with Intels TAT)

Anyhoo, I use it to fold 24/7 in Linux SMP and it hasn't given me any problems at 2.8 GHz or 2.9 GHz. I also have a E6420, a E6400, a E6300 and a "fire breathing" PD 805 all folding 24/7 for the cause, also wid no problemos dude. :rolleyes: What I would do in your case is replace the TIM with AS5 and re seat the HSF (only my opinion of what I would do) :cool:

I am going to replace the stock cooler, the main problem with my idle temps was smart fan. I turned that shit off and the cpu fan went up to 2200rpm from 1000rpm. Whats funny is it that it wasn't as loud at the higher rpm, must have some kind of harmonic vibration noise at the low rpms... The cpu dropped 10c to 41c....

Anyway, with some prime 95, after 10 minutes it was at 64c. I am going to replace the cooler with a scythe ninja I suppose. I want something that is super quiet. The fan that comes with the scythe is 1500rpm and 22dba, not much worse than my other fans which are enlobals that are 17dba.

I am going to replace the stock cooler, the main problem with my idle temps was smart fan. I turned that shit off and the cpu fan went up to 2200rpm from 1000rpm. Whats funny is it that it wasn't as loud at the higher rpm, must have some kind of harmonic vibration noise at the low rpms... The cpu dropped 10c to 41c....

Anyway, with some prime 95, after 10 minutes it was at 64c. I am going to replace the cooler with a scythe ninja I suppose. I want something that is super quiet. The fan that comes with the scythe is 1500rpm and 22dba, not much worse than my other fans which are enlobals that are 17dba.

harmonic vibrations...? is that anything like having sex with your girlfriend or wife ? :rolleyes: (only kidding) Getting a Scythe Ninja sounds like a great idea, I've never had one , but I've read and heard from many people it's a dynamite HSF I kinda got hung on the 9700 Zalman, I like the way it looks, it also cools pretty good too, probably not as good as the Ninja, but within a few degrees :D

At stock (and even mildly OC'd like mine), the stock Intel HSF you get with the CPU actually works well. What doesn't work well IMHO is the mounting mechanism, with the 4 springy locks. I had a similar problem, I was idling in the 40+ range and jumping way up under load. Popped the hood up and noticed one side of the HSF was pushed down further than the other, so it wasn't getting good contact all over. I had to fiddle with it some, and basically experiment with it until I got all 4 corners to "snap" into place without yanking another one of the springs out.

So, the moral of the story would be to fiddle some more with the mounting apparatus on the stock HSF, and then if you're still getting temps higher than you like (mine also idles in the 20's or 30's, depending on how accurate the s/w is) or more noise than you like, then I would look into replacing it.

At stock (and even mildly OC'd like mine), the stock Intel HSF you get with the CPU actually works well. What doesn't work well IMHO is the mounting mechanism, with the 4 springy locks. I had a similar problem, I was idling in the 40+ range and jumping way up under load. Popped the hood up and noticed one side of the HSF was pushed down further than the other, so it wasn't getting good contact all over. I had to fiddle with it some, and basically experiment with it until I got all 4 corners to "snap" into place without yanking another one of the springs out.

So, the moral of the story would be to fiddle some more with the mounting apparatus on the stock HSF, and then if you're still getting temps higher than you like (mine also idles in the 20's or 30's, depending on how accurate the s/w is) or more noise than you like, then I would look into replacing it.

the retention mechanism is crap. I bet you're right, the whole thing felt akward to me. I've never seen anything quite like it. I'll go make sure they are all down well. Since you had a similiar thing happen it only reaffirms my fear :<

checked.. .sure enough one of those worthless things popped out. DAMMIT. my temps dropped to low 30s.

Thanks again for the heads up. Greatly appreciated.

Back