Strange Antec 902 side panel resonance

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Anyone else with a Nine Hundred Two ever notice the windowed panel making a humming noise when the system is on? It isn't all the time. Occasionally I'll notice a subtle hum/buzz begin to crescendo and finally hum fairly loudly. To make it stop, I can reach over and just touch the panel, but if I let off it's back. To make it stop for longer, I can push at various places on the window and sometimes the mesh until it no longer comes back when I'm not touching it. Maybe it's the case. Maybe it's my particular collection of components somehow hitting the panel's resonant frequency.

could be when 2 fans or hard drive/fan get in "sync" with each other so the vibration is reinforced it is causing enough vibration to rattle a loose part. usually its where the side panels touch the frame, or badly fitted window. maybe you can get rid of it by finding the rattle and putting some electrical tape where the parts touch,

or you could add mass to the non windowed part of the panel so it is heavier and less likely to vibrate.

Acoustic foam kit for pcs are available, but you can DIY it with various products, I even used a rubber car floor mat cut to size and contact cemented to the panel, worked great. (about 5 years ago!)

you should also benefit for an over all quieter PC, and if the case is not aluminum, it will not make any difference to your temperatures.

For any of the fans that are screwed into place, you can buy some rubber grommets, that should do the trick.

Harmonics... that's all. Just like that infamous bridge in San Fran that start swinging like crazy in the wind. So I'd fix that before you side panel starts wobbling uncontrollably and falls off.... ;)

Kidding of course, but should be an easy fix. Rather than secure the window right away, go for the source first. Try to isolate your fans and drives. The vibrations from any one or all of those can be translating to the flimsiest part of the case, your window, and cause it to "hum".

Yep. Seen this in person on 2-3 of the times I've used this case.

Wanna know how to solve it? Go get 4 cheap stick on vinyl tiles at Home Depot. Go for the more deluxe ones, as they're heavier. Using an Xacto knife, cut out the shape around your window. Stick them to the door around said window.

The extra weight holds the door panel down, and prevents it from vibrating. Any heavy material will do the same. This has solved this issue in not one, but all ELEVEN silverstone cases I've used. Damn their 1mm panel thickness.

If that doesn't work, tighten the window down however you can. A small line of epoxy injected right at the seam of the door and window will be all you need.

Glad I found this thread, thought I was the only one lol. I'll be trying these methods to see what works best for me. Thanks!

Back