Strange DVI 'out of range' problem

dewhite

Gawd
Hey guys, I searched around for a while, but couldn't seem to find any pertinant info here or on google, so I figured I would throw myself into the lion's den...

Last night I was doing an upgrade from my 2x512mb HyperX sticks, to a set of 2x1gb PDP LL modules to give me a boost in BF2.

My machine was running fine, and has been for about the last 3 months in its current configuration. I have, in the past, used the RGB 15pin dsub cable that came with my BenQ FP931 19" LCD. When I made the switch to PCI-Express I had to sell my BFG 6800GT AGP, and get an eVGA 6800GT, which didn't have a dsub connector on it, so I figured it was time to buy a nice DVI cable from ebay and hook it up using that. Never had any problems with it what-so-ever.

Flash back forward to last night. I shut the machine down, killed the PSU, pulled the DIMMs, seated the new ones, powered back up, and waited for POST. I heard all the right sounds, from the post code all the way through the WinXP bootup soundclip. The entire time though my LCD is displaying 'out of range' with an exclamation.

So, I rebooted a few times, tried clearing the CMOS, tried putting back in the old RAM, tried clearing the CMOS again...

I finally got fed up, and decided to try using the DVI adapter and dsub cable. Voila...

So - I know that 'out of range' would indicate that my vidcard is trying to drive the LCD at a resolution or refresh rate that is out of spec, but how is it possible that doing a memory swap caused this? Coincidence? How the heck am I supposed to adjust the default display mode my card tries to use during POST?

Does anybody have any suggestions, tools to download, tricks to try? I really hate using analog signal for that display, it makes everything look blurry and discolored...

Thanks in advance for reading/replying...

Forgot that I took at my specs out of my sig, and haven't had time to update my 'rigs' page yet.

My Main System:

Asus A8N-E Deluxe
Venice core 3200+ @ Stock
2x1gb Patriot LL PC3200 @ Stock
36gb raptor / 200gb seagate 7200.7
MSR Chassis w/ Antec TP 380 2.0 PSU
eVGA 6800GT PCIe w/ NV5 Silencer
Custom w/c setup, with DD block
BenQ FP931 19" LCD
AOpen DUW1616 DVD+/-RW
WinXP SP2

I have seen this happen on a few Dell FPs even when I know the resolution/refresh was correct. I fixed it by cycling the inputs on the monitor without rebooting the computer. This appears to force the input having problems to rescan. Once I did that, it booted up properly every time after that. No guarantees, but it worked on the Dells

SS

Thanks for the tip. I thought that I had tried everything, but hearing that this had happened to someone else made me try some more. While I couldn't get WinXP to hotswitch the DVI port on, I did try lowering all the settings back to like 800x600@60hz and plugged in the DVI after shutting down properly.

Once again, voila!

Jacked all my settings back up to where they are supposed to be: 1280x1024@75hz and no problems yet. Still makes me wonder what happened in the first place...

Back