Strange results with Rivatuner OC 6800GT

particle9

Weaksauce
Okay so after a clean driver install I opened Rivatuner to turn off fast writes and detect OC settings. The program detected the optimal frequency of my eVGA 6800GT to be, get this, core:525 mem:1500.
WTF!?! :eek:

Obviously I did not apply or use these numbers but what happened here? Coolbits detects 415/1.12 nine out of ten detects. My card idles at 60c and load 88-92c.

particle9 said:
Okay so after a clean driver install I opened Rivatuner to turn off fast writes and detect OC settings. The program detected the optimal frequency of my eVGA 6800GT to be, get this, core:525 mem:1500.
WTF!?! :eek:

Obviously I did not apply or use these numbers but what happened here? Coolbits detects 415/1.12 nine out of ten detects. My card idles at 60c and load 88-92c.

Rivatuner went nuts, that's what happened. :eek:

Auto-detect in Coolbits isn't really that reliable, either, but luckily it tends to err on the low side generally. Still, your card is running pretty damn hot already. Are those temps at stock clock speeds?

At stock my card is 58-61 idle, 86-89 load. Overclocked to 400/1100 it runs 60 idle and 87-92 load. It really peaks at 90 but will touch 92 every so often when the rthdlwhatever is running 1600x1200 8x multisample in a large stretch. One odd thing I noticed was that the card ran hotter when I shrank the window pushing it up to 20-30 fps than it did when it was going 4-10 fps.

I think Rivatuner went nuts too, it didn't really seem to take very long to detect either, like 2 seconds and it was like "525... try it I dare you."

My card does run hot and I'm not sure what to do about it. It lockes up in some games too, but not all. Doom3 runs great, but Farcry and Call of Duty (especially CoD) freeze up and give unexpected error or require a hard boot. The card ran about 2-5 degrees cooler when I had my airconditioner on full blast in my room. I don't really know what else to do to cool it though as it is in a large (Antec P160) case with two 120mm fans and not many other components in it. It also runs stable running demo's so I don't think that the card is bad. It also has plenty of power from the 480w Antec I have (on its own cable). So I'm just going to live with it.

Do you think that a PCI fan card would help at all? I'm pretty sure that the temps are okay though since everyone seems to say these cards run hot and its fine going up to 90c. Since it is only very occasionally going above 90 to 91 or 92 I think I'm within tolerance levels.

Back