Strange Routing Issue

StarTrek4U

Gawd
Ok- so I'm totally stumped, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas...

I have two sites at work, our main office (10.0.0.0/24 subnet) and a remote office (10.4.0.0/24 subnet). These two sites are connected via a P2P VPN tunnel. What I'm trying to do is add a printer (10.4.0.20) from the remote site to our print server at the main site, I can't however because whenever I try to connect to the printer my traffic gets routed out our public interface on the firewall (shown via traceroute). However, that's the ONLY address on the remote subnet that happens for, and it ONLY happens on our print server. From my PC (on the main office network) I can ping, traceroute, and connect to the web interface of that printer no problem. Our print server can ping all network hops along the way including the remote FW, as well as other workstations/devices on the 10.4.0.0/24 network. Again, it's only when I try to connect to that printer from our print server am I unable to do so.

My first thought was a VPN routing issue but I have a simple setup, any traffic between each subnet is allowed and sent to the correct remote gateway, nothing more is done between the sites. The print server is a pretty new install of Server 2008R2 and it works fine with all of our other devices both on the same network and remotely, so I'm not sure why it would have a problem with this one.

Needless to say, I'm confused a bit- any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Still not a lot to go on from that post. What kind of router/firewall appliances are you using on each side? Are you using static routes or a routing protocol? Have you looked directly on the print server with the command "route print" for any route anomalies? There has to be a bug or a rogue route somewhere.

Fortigates on Both ends- static routes on each device points the traffic where it needs to go. The route is for the whole subnet so it should either all work or none would work (you would think anyway). The route print on the server looks just like it should.

Back