Stuck at 1024x768

Version_3

2[H]4U
Alright, I give up.

I have a Viewsonic VX2245wm 22" monitor capable of 1680x1050. In fact, since purchase thats the res it runs on.

Now I loaded FEAR up tonight, and ran it, well FEAR isn't future proof, and its res max is 1024x768. So I left game to tweak the cfg manually, and vista x64 is stuck in 1024x768.

I have uninstalled every nvidia driver, ran driver cleaner, and removed/reinstalled the viewsonic drivers. I've also tried a system restore. Right now, I just hooked up the analog connection and no change. in fact, windows sees no difference.

I've tried manually setting the driver, and nothing. In a blue moon, I'll see the option to go to 1680x1050, and once I select it, the screen goes blank, and will tell me no signal. I have to remove the plug from my video card and reconnect it to get video back.

I have a similar situation like you but with Crysis. In Crysis, I cannot select anything else higher than 1440 x 900 in the game. This is in Vista 32bit on my 1920 x 1200 28" lcd. I dunno if it's Vista or the game.

well, I think I narrowed it down.

I uninstalled everything in safemode, then ran driver cleaner (which I don't think gets everything out of vista), and I did not install anything. I uninstalled the devices from the device manager. Then I rebooted vista back into normal mode, and let it run its own thing with default drivers, and I could run 1680x1050.

I downloaded nVidia's drivers, and ONLY installed the driver for the 8800GT. Rebooted, and came back to the same issue. I'm going to try both the beta drivers, and if that don't work, try a driver earlier to whats out now.

Weird thing is Windows sees the monitor now as a non-Pnp Generic monitor. Before I removed the monitor drivers, if I forced the viewsonic drivers, then told windows to detect the best driver, it would install the non-PnP Generics again.

Edit: I just uninstalled the nvidia drivers, and before rebooting, I'm able to set 1680x1050...

wow... the beta's give me the same issue.

Does anyone know how to fix Vista from seeing my monitor as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor even when I have the driver?
When I run Viewsonic's Vista x64 installation, it says I don't have the monitor I'm looking at...

Ohh Emm Eff Geeeee

I shut down my pc. I unplugged the monitor from power for 30 seconds. I plugged it back in. It booted no problems at 1680x1050. Needed nothing else. Sees it as a generic pnp now.

I'm going to bed. night.

Back