Students! $30 Windows 7 Upgrade is Back!

on the office professional academic thats also on the deals page, anyone know if it also for up to 3 computers like the student and teacher version is? My gf and I are both in school and I do not want to buy 2 copies of it. I would rather just buy one of the student teacher ed if thats the case.

I know but I can't just go from Vista Home Premium to 7 Pro right?

yeah, I did that, you just make or dl the install (iso) disc and do a fresh install. it won't let you do an in place "upgrade".

thanks for the link op, just got a 2nd copy for my htpc

Is it possible to get a 2nd copy if I already used my school email last year? Think it was just before December or something.

Also, I can install a clean version of Vista 64 and use the upgrade from that right?

Or will this update work from a bare drive? Assuming you have to have some kind of existing windows installed.

on the office professional academic thats also on the deals page, anyone know if it also for up to 3 computers like the student and teacher version is? My gf and I are both in school and I do not want to buy 2 copies of it. I would rather just buy one of the student teacher ed if thats the case.

Yep, works for 3 comps.

Check my link in this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1526428

Also, I can install a clean version of Vista 64 and use the upgrade from that right?

Or will this update work from a bare drive? Assuming you have to have some kind of existing windows installed.

Yes and yes. And no, you don't have to have any version of windows pre-installed, though perhaps you're supposed to from a legal standpoint. It's easy to get around, however - check out the page I linked to earlier.

So if it works from a clean format etc, i don't need a previous version of windows?
Have you tried this and is it missing anything by just installing the upgrade?

Also, if I were to just use it as an upgrade from Vista 64, does the Vista have to be activated before upgrading?

And lastly, is the copy of Windows7 Upgrade usable on a different PC if needed?

Last edited:
Is it possible to get a 2nd copy if I already used my school email last year? Think it was just before December or something...

Yeah, it seems you can. I ordered mine last year as well and was able to order it again just now.

Oh wow, I just checked the deal two days ago when it was double the price and decided not to bite.

Glad I didn't.

Just an update on my side.

I bought it last year before December and just got a second one for future use.

Also, after reading more, you can do a clean install of windows 7 using only the upgrade.

How legal/illegal that may be is up to you.

The person above had links with more info about it.

Followed link, got the email, went to submit order... cannot process.

Won't accept my card for some reason. Anyone else have an issue?

Does anyone know if the upgrade version has install limitations like an OEM copy? Can I transfer this later on to a new computer if I ever upgrade?

Does anyone know if the upgrade version has install limitations like an OEM copy? Can I transfer this later on to a new computer if I ever upgrade?

I think that once you activate the key on a particular computer, you won't be able to activate it on a new one. If you want to, i think you have to call microsoft and grovel. Just the same though, at $30 it's still more than worth it.

The terms of use say that an upgrade version of windows 7 takes on the license of the OS it is upgrading. It also says that the key for the OS you upgrade from will be invalid.

From what I've read, you can do a clean install (by various methods) and not have this problem.

Legal? I think technically, no it's not. However as a matter of principle, yes :) Although if you get via a torrent the act of you sharing with others really negates any principle of legality you could potentially argue in a court of law :)

Never mind that it might have some nasty crap added to it. I know with Vista, you could order replacement media, on the web, from MS, for around $10.00. Unfortunately, I don't see anyway to do that for 7...and even with vista, I'm not sure if it applies to student licenses.

I have the upgrade version and installed it on a freshly formatted HD, no prior Windows install was needed.
I did that and it refused to activate telling me that I did a fresh install with an upgrade version. I called MS tech and they gave me an updated product key that allowed me to use it for fresh installs.

So, at the expense of sounding link a n00b....

I've only every done clean installs of windows so I'm not very experienced with upgrading. I would be upgrading from Vista Business x64 to Windows 7 pro x64 (which should be possible as an upgrade in place, right?). Do all my programs and whatnot work w/o reinstalling? Steam, office, etc? Or are there some things that I need to reinstall?

So, at the expense of sounding link a n00b....

I've only every done clean installs of windows so I'm not very experienced with upgrading. I would be upgrading from Vista Business x64 to Windows 7 pro x64 (which should be possible as an upgrade in place, right?). Do all my programs and whatnot work w/o reinstalling? Steam, office, etc? Or are there some things that I need to reinstall?

Probably. I did a clean install on my computer, but I did an upgrade on my mothers (because i wasn't going to be there long enough to reinstall everything). There may have been some things that didn't work, but if that's the case, none were critical to her.

As i recall, it tells you before the install starts what programs will not work. It may recommend you uninstall them in some cases.

If I have a copy of windows xp non upgrade can you fresh install on the upgrade? Is there an option during installation to verify my old copy of windows, I absolutely DO NOT want to have to install XP and then install 7 after that everytime I reformat...

If I have a copy of windows xp non upgrade can you fresh install on the upgrade? Is there an option during installation to verify my old copy of windows, I absolutely DO NOT want to have to install XP and then install 7 after that everytime I reformat...

I actually had the same situation you had and went for it. It worked flawlessly, I basically did a fresh install, booting from the iso that it lets you download, and basically windows 7 activated without any hiccups and I was also left with the windows.old folder that had all of my old files from my xp system. cheers!

How far can I upgrade from? So far, I've been using an old Win98 CD as the base for all my "Upgrades."

here's what i did.

install Win7 "upgrade" edition.

do not put serial during initial setup.

when finally at desktop, activate and input serial.

found that tip online and worked perfectly for me.

Wish I'd known about this. Just bought 64bit Pro OEM from Amazon the other day.

I don't know if someone's already said this, or if its true elsewhere....

At some colleges if you are in a Comp Sci class you can sign up for MSDN Academic
Alliance, and get Microsoft software (like Win7 Premium) for free.

I don't know if someone's already said this, or if its true elsewhere....

At some colleges if you are in a Comp Sci class you can sign up for MSDN Academic
Alliance, and get Microsoft software (like Win7 Premium) for free.

I'll have to look into this. I checked the two colleges I'm enrolled at and neither one had student versions worth a damn. Both wanted $70 for upgrade versions of Win7 Home that they could burn for me. Yeah, no thanks.

I'll have to look into this. I checked the two colleges I'm enrolled at and neither one had student versions worth a damn. Both wanted $70 for upgrade versions of Win7 Home that they could burn for me. Yeah, no thanks.

You should be able to check here to see if your schools are part of the program.

i just got this, did a clean install and put in the key after the first boot (it didn't ask for the key at install)..

great deal. i've now used this deal twice.

Anyone have a .edu email that doesn't need it? I tried my .mil but no luck.

Back