Studio monitor NOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!

Chumbuh1

Weaksauce
I was reading the "Anyone using studio monitors?" post and it opened up a whole new world of audio options for my new build. I've never done anything other than an easy 5.1 setup. What would I need if I wanted to use studio monitors? Whats the difference between studio monitors and bookshelf speakers? Do I NEED a reciever or just an amp? How do you plug speaker wire into the computer? Sorry I'm an audio noob. Any info would be helpful. :)

I would stick with a reciever

an amp... if it is a pro amp you would need a unbalanced to balanced output and the complexity goes up. A reciever uses unbalanced and has the amp built in so that would be the easiest way.

I briefly looked at studio monitors a recently. I went to a music store that I knew handled PC stuff too. I also brought a cd I liked.

The first thing I noticed, have a fat wallet.

The second, they brought out imperfections in the music recording. What I thought was a good soundind CD, did not sound so good on the m-audio monitors I listened to.

The last thing I noticed, if I moved from the ideal position, the sound changed. You need to stay in the ideal postion to get all the quality they can provide.

So I went back to Circuit City and bought the Polk Audio M30s and I'm happy.

You could get powered monitors. I'm thinking of getting the Alesis M1 active monitors myself.

I managed to pick up a set of original Alesis Monitor Ones and a RA100 2-channel amp on ebay for $155. Pretty damn good deal. Now all I need is to come across some Monitor Twos in good condition. The Monitor Ones aren't the "flattest" monitors (far from it) but they are a "fun" set of speakers to listen to music and play games on.

Chumbuh1 said:
I was reading the "Anyone using studio monitors?" post and it opened up a whole new world of audio options for my new build. I've never done anything other than an easy 5.1 setup. What would I need if I wanted to use studio monitors? Whats the difference between studio monitors and bookshelf speakers? Do I NEED a reciever or just an amp? How do you plug speaker wire into the computer? Sorry I'm an audio noob. Any info would be helpful. :)

Passive monitors require external amps/receivers. Active monitors have built-in amps that are optimal matches for the monitors. Just send the line-out to the sat and you're set.

yes but studio monitors usually have a very harsh and lifeless sound. Hence their name, they are made for revealing details in audio. With a passive speaker you have the ability to tune and adjust the sound with different amplifiers and preamplifiers. With studio monitors you dont have this option.

If your looking for a powerful, deatiled, and analyitical sound, go with powered studio monitors. If you want to be able to fine tune your sound and get a very musical speaker as well as being powerfull and detailed, get a passive monitor and an amplifier.

By the way, "normal bookshelf" speakers are just called "monitors" :)

You can use a preamp or something like the ADE-24 to "color" your sound before going to the active monitor too.

Chumbuh1 said:
look into the TAPCO series they are self powered and quite amply i might add...

Back