Stupid PSU question

Balboa

n00b
I've been having some issues with my computer randomly turning off. It typically happens when a game is loading up but also has happened while trying to uninstall some programs.

The computer typically goes dead, no lights, no fans... dead. The only way I can restart my computer is by turning off my power supply, waiting a few seconds and turning it back on. Then I can push my cpu power button. My initial thought, was that it was an overheating issue, because now that the weather is warming, up the problem has started occurring. I have cleaned out my case and fans and I've checked the temps and they're well within the operating range, so my other thought is that my PSU is inadequate for my system (and maybe the warm weather is making the problem worse???)

I have an Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon 2500, 512mb RAM, GeForce 6800 128mb (unlocked), (1) 40 gb HD, (1) 14 gb HD, (1) CD drive, (1) CDRW drive, several USB accessories and here's the kicker.... a 300 watt psu. I'm thinking that 300 watts my be a little under powered for my system... or at least border line.

I guess the gist of my question is, do you all think I've made the right desicion in ordering a new 420 watt psu in order to help my problem? Could there be another (more serious) issue that I'm not thinking of? I suppose it's at least worth a try. :confused: Thanks.

What brand/make/model is the 300? And yeah id say go with a Antec true series, cheap but very effective....

It is your PSU, since you said you have a Gforce 6800? and you play games and it crashes? thats the video card trying to get jucie man........get a better psu :p

soulsaver_8229

it could be the power supply, yes, but it could also be the processor not having enough juice..

you'll have to test it to find out.

Thanks for the responses. I have not done a test to see if my CPU is lacking the power. What applications will monitor that?

On another note, I ordered a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420w psu. I didn't want to go too crazy because I'm planning on building a new computer (with new psu) within the year.

Back