Stuttering in BFBC2/Black Ops - Steam

noteworthy

Gawd
Hardware:
X58-UD5
i7 920 max temp 60C (water cooled)
12gb g skill 1600 mhz
dual 5870's crossfired 16x/16x - running eyefinity 3840x1024 max temps are 68C on one card (air cooled) and 48C on the other one (water cooled)
raptor 120gb and wd 640gb both sata

windows 7 x64
amd 10.11 drivers
stock speeds and overclocked same results

Tried;
Network throttling in registry 50,000 max packets
Process priority for steam to low, game process high
Disabling my sound card
10.7 drivers, 10.10 drivers
Turned off all monitoring programs such as MSI afterburner.
Checked for directx updates
Lowered sound detail

I've even formatted my computer with no improvement - latest chipset, sound, network, video drivers.

I'm averaging 80-120 fps in both games but seem to have stuttering or 'skipping' while running. Walking around its fine. When I run in game it 'skips'. Vsync is off

Ideas?

Last edited:
Judging by the number of other people with similar complaints on the official call of duty forums, it would appear your problem is wide spread.

There are some real oddities about the game though... for instance if you have a GTX 460, it will perform much worse than someone with an identical comp but with a GTX 260. Something about certain types of cards that causes issues.. including stuttering and bursts of lag for some.

Too many variables to draw conclusions, but the developers have acknowledged the issues - and one in particular .. the dual core CPU issue. For instance some dual core machines run at 100% CPU, where a quad core will typically run at 62-69% utilized.

I would suspect your amazing setup with crossfire etc is potentially the cause (poor support in the game ?) or just another oddity with your graphics card and that game.

There are some settings in the config file you can change though..

Look for the MP and non MP config files here (on my Win 7 box) :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

Open in notepad (not wordpad) and search for the following :

seta r_multithreaded_device
seta r_multiGpu
seta cl_maxpackets
seta com_maxfps

I have mine set to 1,0,100,0 for the above options, but you probably need 1,1,100,0

Some people have also had success in turning back on V-Sync as it seems to give their CPU more headroom to play with due to the need to not go above 60FPS. I doubt your PC would suffer.

All I can say is that it runs smooth as silk on my PC with those settings at 1920x1200, 4 AA, Trilinear, AF maxed out, High / Extra details on everything, shadows on, body count High.
I have a Q9550 Quad Core @ 3.6Ghz and a single 260 GTX XFX black edition (slight overclock) with 4GB of mem.

Other people have tried to use the console command (press ` in game) and type /snd_restart ( I think its / and not \). This restarts the sounds driver each round, and people have reported some success.

My broadband is also quite high though... 37Mb down, 10Mb up. That seems to help a lot. A friend of mine suffers the same stuttering, but only when he is around other people, or there is a lot of action on screen. I think his is related to CPU problems. Treyarch have a list of bug fixes on their forum being worked on in the PC Community update section :

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=313146&sid=nfpacbpb33ro823s9okmdh8gt7

Thanks for your post. I've already tried the commands in CODBO. This problem wasn't specific to black ops but rather all of my games in steam. BFBC2, Black Ops, and even Medal of Honor...

I started steam as administrator, disabled cloud sync, disabled in-game overlay.. and the stuttering has pretty much disappeared. I don't see it perfectly smooth but definitely better in BFBC2. Ran around a knife only map for 30 minutes without a hiccup.

Maybe this will help some people.

Back