Sub-$500 AMD build, critique requested.

Woofer00

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Lightest of web browsing and e-mail barely ever anything more. This is a replacement for an old salvage build that I handed off to my family a few years ago.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$500 give or take. I'm planning on doing this as local as possible to avoid RMA headaches. I live very close to the Yonkers, NY Microcenter

3) Where do you live?
see above.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, Case, PSU, HDD, Optical, Mobo

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
KB/Mouse/Monitor/Speakers.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19" WSXGA+

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This weekend, maybe tonight. Return is easy if necessary.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
The ability to power on. No expandability necessary. Going to add on a half-height Wireless card if necessary, but that's the full extent.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Win7Pro 64-bit. Maybe drop back down to XP Pro 32-bit if the transition causes too many complaints.

Parts I've halfway settled on:

CPU + Mobo (combo deal):
$136 - AMD Athlon II X4 640 + MSI 870A-G54

HDD:
$55 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Case:
$45 - Cooler Master Elite 360 Slim ATX Mid-Tower / HTPC / Desktop Convertible Case

Optical:
$18 - Samsung 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double Layer Support OEM

PSU:
$65 - Antec 380 Watt EarthWatts EA-380D Green ATX Power Supply

RAM (stuck on this a bit):
$70 - Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10666) CL9 DIMM Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)

My last desktop build was probably 6-7 years ago (been a laptopper since), so I'm not familiar with recent reputation for brand reliability.

I recommend ditching taht Coolermaster case and going with this significantly better cooling case for less:
$38 - Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z ATX Case

At $65, that Earthwatts 380W is super over-priced. It's akin to paying $5000 for a single blank piece of paper. Extremly out of the norm croming from me, but even an OCZ StealthXStream 2 PSU is a better buy than that Earthwatts:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334766
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0276315

So go with those PSUs.

The RAM you chose is fine.

The choice of case was due to form factor (slimness), probably should have noted that. Size is ultimately more important cooling, but noise will also play a factor. I'll need to spend some time looking for a case that's relatively quiet and that I can outfit with 120mm fans.

It turns out I need to delay the build somewhat, so there's more time. I'll probably pick up an Antec NEO ECO 400 off newegg in the meantime and sit on it.

Thanks for the advice Danny.

Last edited:
Back