Sub placement

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright so I'm curious you got the fron and the back and the hole in the side. Do you want the hole in the side facing you for more of the effect? I'm just curious never had a real good sub before.

In my logic, having the woofer face you would give you the most tone, while the port will displace the vibrating air for a full effect.

Lower frequency sound is non-directional. You can pretty much place it anywhere in the room and it will sound the same. If your sub is really good, you can even place it in the next room and still hear it :D

Lower frequency sound is non-directional. You can pretty much place it anywhere in the room and it will sound the same.
Exactly. Sub placement is usually best in a corner. The sub face will usually point the port to the front or bottom. If its a bass reflex design, the port will need to breathe so pointing the port to the wall isn't a good idea. Also, if you have a monster sub, you should keep it a fair distance away from your PC and monitor.

the best this to do is place the sub where you will be sitting. then crawl around on the floor and find where the best sound is coming from. place the sub in this spot and you can adjust from there. NCH tone generator is free to trial and a sweep from 10-80hz looped will help a lot.

corner placment can be louder but may not sound good. the technique above will reveal if your sub like corner loading.

dont worry if the best spot is near your computer. there is no way your computer or any parts in it will be harmed. keep non shielded speakers away from your monitor though.

Lower frequency sound is non-directional. You can pretty much place it anywhere in the room and it will sound the same. If your sub is really good, you can even place it in the next room and still hear it :D

this can be interpreted differently. the dispersal pattern is omnidirectional. this means that the sound goes in all directions from the box (out the sides and back as much as the front) however sound still travels in a line. I for one can tell where a sub is placed in a room. in front of me behind me or on the side. i still know where the sound is coming from. I lhave my sub placed under my TV and as close to center as i can manage.

placing a sub in a corner will tend to give a boost in volume, but the reflections can muddy the sound. point the driver at where you will be sitting. the port can go just about anywhere as long as its not blocked by furniture or a wall. personally i like sealed subs. if you have a good enough driver and amp you don't need the port to reach low notes. ports sound poopy IMHO

How far away should the port on a subwoofer, like the one on the z-5500s, be away from a wall? I'm thinking of getting these speakers, and i need to allow for some room between the left side of the box (where the port is) and the wall; i just don't know how much of a gap to leave roughly since my room is fairly limited in space.

no hard rule that i know of but i would stay at least the diameter of the port away from the wall.
so if 4" port stay away 4"

or whatever distance is far enough not to make it rattle and fart

Back