Submersion : Thinktank Revision 2.0

Assembly is proceeding :

tt2_443.jpg

----

:D

At least 'portability' never was a requirement :D

Haha , no doubt.

It's gotta be over 500 Lbs (empty) , and thats not including support equipment not on the rack.

Last bit of painting is complete , I'll be putting together the system for the last time today....It'll be basically ready to run.

*checks with the FAA that the airspace above BrainEater's house is clear of any planes during testing*

Good luck! :D

:thread resurrection:

any updates on this?

To those living near BrainEater's place: saw anything in the local newspaper or heard any big explosions? :D

Alternatively the FBI/CIA could have paid him a visit :eek:

Heheh.....
Nah everythings fine.

-----

I've made the 6 foot ATX extension I need :

tt2_455.jpg

----

Related to that , I've booted the test system for the first time :

tt2_456.jpg

----

I'm loading the os/drivers/ etc in today.

Fabrication is essentially complete , there's just some assembly/wiring/plumbing to take care of....

First run in 2 weeks.

2 weeks?! But we want to see it now!! *throws a tantrum*

*coughs*

Anyway... looking nice :D

Ok ! first trial done.

I'll call it an 80% win , but as this is still in the worklog section , there's more work to do.

------

We failed to get a computer to post for some as yet unknown reason.

but....

The cooling system/vents/n2 system worked almost perfectly....we ran outta dry ice at -50c but the entire system I designed worked.Nothing blew up , and the thinktank survived.

I had a lotta help from the Hardware Canucks crew , Thanks everyone.....

-------

Here's a shot from the night before the test :

tt2_480.jpg

------

Tank full of -25c Iso :

ttt1.jpg

---

ttt5.jpg

-----

Not as good of a result as I would have hoped , but a win none-the-less......

more soon......I'm thinking of trying a mobo in kerosene......

What will be the final test bed? AMD P2? Or i7? What is the maximum below 0c this can go without turning into an ice cube?

looks sweet despite not getting it to boot....maybe the mobo is looking for a cpu fan signal before it completes post...dunno.

getting pure enough kerosene for your purposes may be hard...though, this IS [H]ardForum....go for it! :D:cool:

The max design temp depends on the liquid used.For this test with Isopropanol , the max temp would be -75c ish.....

We ran outta dry ice at -50c , but it'll go colder no problem.

The final testbed is undetermined.....whatever I can get to boot in Iso I guess...:p

------

Kerosene won't actually work as a final coolant , it'll freeze....but I'm trying to eliminate conduction as the issue.

I've decided to prepare some anhydrous Isopropanol and try that first.

Does the computer work when the system is drained?

Anyway, good to hear you're still in one piece :)

yes.

We've gotten as far as determining it's the area around the CPU that does'nt like submersion....why I'm not sure yet , it could be conduction in the liquid , or capacitative change around pins etc....

I'll figger it out.

Thx !

-------

Problem solved .

It's purely a conduction issue.

I decided to 'just giver' , and end the speculation .

The worlds first 'kerosene submerged computer' : JetB for the win.

http://braineater.kicks-ass.tv/miscshite/winUC.avi

--------

At this point I'm going to try some anhydrous Isopropanol , see if it will work. I'd really perfer to use Iso because the alternative (low BP white gas) is essentially gasoline.

I hope you realize that what you're doing here is technically a _lot_ more dangerous than using many other 'extreme' cooling methods? :eek:

Well done! :D

Thx !!

'Technically' nothing.

It's waaaay more dangerous period. :p

Keep in mind tho , the entire system has been designed to handle flammable liquids from the get-go....It's all inert atmosphere.....

If I could afford to drop the $ 10k on fluorinert , I probably would , but it's not a big issue , this rig will run nearly all solvents......up to and including Diethyl Ether......and thats the top of the danger scale.

I'm waiting on an email regarding other solvents......and doing some minor fabrication to clean things up.......

soon.......

Yea thats the price I used actually.

24 litres x $375 = 9000$

So'k , I don't need fluorinert , I can use gasoline.

So......

I bought some anhydrous Isopropanol....No luck still.

Despite the fact that I've made a computer run is 99% Iso several times.So I decided to recheck iso's conductivity.....

Preface : I have several textbooks on my bookshelf that clearly state alcohols do not conduct.

This is not true .

Isopropanol is actually listed as a 'good conductor'...

FFS

heh.......

I am now sourcing out anhydrous Ethanol.....it doesnt conduct from what I've seen.

--And no , yer not gonna be able to drink it !--

I'm feeling kind of sorry for the computer hardware with all of those substances you're unleashing on it :(

Don't kill anything :D

I'm feeling kind of sorry for the computer hardware with all of those substances you're unleashing on it :(

Don't kill anything :D

I disagree. Do, DO kill something, and post some amazing numbers! You've come this far, and now is not the time to back off anything!

Good luck!

Just curious- did you ever make any progress on this? I want to know how the gasoline worked out. :p

Heheh.

No accidents , S'all good.

Unfortunately , I , like so many others , have recently lost my job of 21 years...I just hav'nt had any disposable income , so all my projects are on hold.

----

While I do know gasoline will work from a conduction POV , it'll actually freeze at the temperatures involved , so it's out.

I'm 99% sure anhydrous ethanol will work , but the test will cost a couple hundred dollars at least , due to the 'Excise' issues with pure ethanol.

I might be able to get the inital test done in a few weeks , we'll see.

Hey! sorry to hear of your misfortune, I hope things turn around for you soon!
Its a very interesting build, good luck!

I checked the data sheets, water has both a higher specific heat AND higher heat conductivity.

haven't checked the data sheets on what the OP is running but i'll bet water has higher specific heat and conductivity than what he's running. there's not that many liquids that have a higher specific heat than water

Thx for the support everyone !

----

Turns out I have a job still ! we were shovelling dirt onto the company grave when we got an eight to ten month contract !

So this project (while on hold till I have time off now) is a go.I'm sourcing test batches of anhydrous ethanol now.

more soon !

edit : specific heat capacity is irrelevant to -100 c coolant...hehehe

Probably time for an update on this.
:rolleyes:

I've spent the last 3 months recovering from a 1 year hard labor contract, and my projects are getting some time finally.

I've looked into the whole 'pure alcohol' cooling thang over the last 16 months as well.

I managed to test the purest custom denatured ethanol I could get (96% pure anhydrous, 4% denature with naptha)..

Still a no go.Boot fail.

:(

--------------

At this point I'm looking into running white gas/ether for 1 time just to finish this project and call it done.We'll see what happens.

Back