Subwoofer recommendations

Jospeh

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a pair of behringer 2030P speakers. I was considering adding a subwoofer to them. What would be a good recommendation in the 200$ or so price range? This is for PC use with a cheap receiver (was around 100-150 dollar range) (for movies,games, TV, music, ect. general use)

Polk PSW10 for $130 or the Polk PSW12 for $243 used from Amazon Warehouse deals ($300 for a new one)
The PSW12 can go as low as $180 in the warehouse deals, as my brother picked one up late last year or early this year for that price.

At $200, buy a used HSU STF-1 on eBay.

It's a phenomenal sub. Don't let the 8" size scare you: this sub sacrifices playing loud, not playing low.

At $200, buy a used HSU STF-1 on eBay.

It's a phenomenal sub. Don't let the 8" size scare you: this sub sacrifices playing loud, not playing low.

HSU subs are absolutely amazing! My first sub was a STF-1 and now I have it in a dual sub setup with a VTF-2.

Highly recommend them!

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000OY6CVI

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA

http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Powered-Subwoofer-24hz-200hz-Pebble/dp/B008FSTU4G

These are the ones I am looking at so far. I'll probably need to make a decision in the next day or two. I'm leaning towards the NXG? What do you guys think? Also, I would appreciate some links for stuff if you have them. I'm not too big on buying audio parts.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Never heard of NXG, but it looks a lot like Klipsch. Maybe an off-brand?

Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the BIC. I had a BIC sub back in 2005-06 and it did a nice job for me. Too bad Dayton no longer carries their designed by HSU line. Those were some nice budget subs.

Advantages for the BIC are the more established brand & slightly lower price. Order direct from PE to save on shipping.

The NXG seems to extend just a little bit deeper & have a reputation as a "more musical" sub. Check out the reviews on their site.

That said, I think either will impress you, especially for the money. Especially if this is your 1st sub.

Based on what I see, I'd go with the BIC. It has just the right connectors/buttons for the price range. Hell, it's not much different than my Velodyne SPL-1000 Series II I bought in 2004 (and still use today on the main entertainment system - it's my favorite piece of gear :))

Except for the price and the power :)

If you don't have many options for sub placement, consider dual subs if your receiver has dual/stereo sub outs. Duallies will help eliminate dead zones and smooth out the response and you may be able to run stereo subs which is nice. This is usually better for home theater, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it for PC use.

If you're free to place the sub where you want you can get one higher quality sub and do a "sub crawl" to find the optimal placement. Put and play the sub in your sitting position and crawl around the room until you find an area with acoustics you like, and put the sub there.

I got the Klipsch RW-12D when it was fire-saled. It may not hurt to keep an eye out for high end subs getting clearanced out :)

you may be able to run stereo subs which is nice.

FWIW There really isn't a point to stereo subs (as in a stereo signal not more than one sub which clearly has benefits). There isn't a lot of content that utilizes it and then if you do have multiple subs and some of the bass is stereo then you lose the benefit of the other sub helping out fill in nulls and smooth out the response, lower distortion, and headroom from dividing the work load. Also if you use any room correction or EQ then you need multiple channels to achieve it which is wasteful in money and time spend setting it up. Bass management (all channels below the crossover point summed to a single channel) is superior.

Back