subwoofer w/ receiver not working?

That's not possible because I have about 1-inch between top of receiver and bottom of desk over the front 1/3 of the receiver and about 5 inches bet. top of receiver and bottom of desk over the back 2/3 of the receiver. That's why I'm thinking a fan blowing across it maybe from one corner diagonally to the other depending on where most of the heat will be coming from (maybe the back 2/3 straight across, not sure; don't have any pics).

Its not wise to pack a receiver in such a tight space.
I'm sure you realise the risk given you are already applying thought to it.
Dont do it though, especially if the hot air cant escape and gets recycled!

My amp has open air above it up to the roof but still I use a fan to cool it.

Here are the rest of the receiver space measurements:
Between back of rec. and back wall: 1 foot or slightly more
between left side of rec. and closet door on left side: approx. 3 feet
between right side of rec. and computer on right side: approx. 4 feet
between front of rec. and other side of room: approx. 7-8 feet and even more with the hall door open.

The receiver is sitting on the subwoofer and this is the only good placement I can do in this room; anywhere else would be extremely inconvenient. I'm going to place some thermal material (automotive) on the bottom side of the desk this time, so all I need is some type of fan system to blow the air coming off the top out the left side of the receiver or from the right back corner to the left front corner. Any ideas?

EDIT: If the next receiver I get has vents the same as the 503 (front to back - 8.5 inches wide), then I could move the receiver 2.5 inches back and the front 4.5 inches of vents would have something blocking them 2.75 inches above and the back 4 inches of vents wouldn't be blocked until 7 inches. That's the best I can do. I figure if I have a fan blowing across, then I at least have a chance of getting that warm air out from underneath the desk; although, maybe a couple of fans blowing front to back would be better.

EDIT AGAIN: If I could place the receiver out from under the desk for any reason, could I just attach (using 50/50 mixer of Arctic Silver thermal paste and thermal adhesive) two 120mm fans to the top of the receiver blowing out without any holder of any sort?

Last edited:
I got a Pioneer VSX-819H-K receiver (to replace the Onkyo) and it's no longer in that tight space and it has plenty of room to breathe. And now a new problem (see below):

OK, this is ridiculous. I can't access the auto speaker calibration or manual calibration because I don't have a video source directly connected to the new Pioneer receiver. Any ideas?

Um, it looks like I might be able to go HDMI from the receiver to my new BenQ LCD monitor, but how do I do this without screwing up the video signal and settings from the DVI source of the computer video card? I don't think I can use either CRT or the old LCD as these all have VGA or DVI signals only. Nevermind, the manual just said the OSD will not appear with HDMI so I'm screwed on that.

What about monitor out on the receiver with RCA cord and somehow converting this to DVI or VGA to go into my new monitor (or even my CRT monitor)? My brother also suggested a video in for my video card (if I have it for the GTX-280), but then how do I get that picture on my computer monitor? Is it some sort of dual monitor setup thingy?:confused:

This is all I can find right now (composite to VGA):
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...-video-to-vga/pyro-av-pvc-980/prodPVC980.html

I have to be able to get cheaper than this as the display is not complicated and all I want to see is the OSD screen.

Last edited:
I found something for about half the cost on ebay and have been toying with the idea of a portable LCD, but the lower-priced portable LCDs don't indicate it can definitely take a video in so it's looking like a converter.

Back