Suggest the Best AMD x2 deal atm

MonsterEnergy

Limp Gawd
Hello all, i've got a 3200+ 939 atm, and a a8n-sli. I'm wondering if someone could make a recommendation of a good cpu upgrade. I'm looking to spend between 200-235$. I've been looking at the x2 4200, and the 4400s on newegg. Any sugestions as far as core / speed all would be great. Thank you

edit: Forgot to mention that I am planning on doing alot of video encoding, and video gaming. Also, if you think the clawhammers are a good run for the money too, please let me know.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16819103588

i got one of these on the 30th. hits 3.0 @1.40vcore with 3/4 mem divider =DDR500

awsome and was $171 shipped and taxed
Yeah my ram is 400, i thought i posted that my bad. I've got two gigs of XMS ddr 400 link

edit: sorry if I seem to be a bit noobish on this subject. Do the opterons work with all socket 939 motherboards? They don't require registered or ecc ram?

MonsterEnergy said:
Yeah my ram is 400, i thought i posted that my bad. I've got two gigs of XMS ddr 400 link

edit: sorry if I seem to be a bit noobish on this subject. Do the opterons work with all socket 939 motherboards? They don't require registered or ecc ram?
socket 939 opterons run off of normal 939 mobos and dont require registered nor ecc ram

much obliged, thank you. I have over 200 gigs of videos to re encode from mpeg2 to divx, i'm upgrading my cpu, and just wondering if others agree on the opteron choice, over a 4200 or a 4400 (keeping in mind I have ddr400 ram, a total of four gigs of it, that im not about to replace)
thanks

MonsterEnergy said:
much obliged, thank you. I have over 200 gigs of videos to re encode from mpeg2 to divx, i'm upgrading my cpu, and just wondering if others agree on the opteron choice, over a 4200 or a 4400 (keeping in mind I have ddr400 ram, a total of four gigs of it, that im not about to replace)
thanks
you'll definitely make good use of a dualcore cpu thats for sure. specially with over 200 gigs of pr...movies. overclock that baby and then get to reencoding the, which will take a pretty long time but much less than if u were on a single core.

So I would definitely be getting my money's worth out of a dual core, since I would only be able to achieve modest over clocking, do you think a 4200/4400 would be the way to go?

the only thing you get with a 4200/4400 is a higher multi.

my opteron 165 is prime 13hr stable @3.0ghz

you will not get as good of an OC with 4 ram sticks....

the A8n mobos had a problem of hitting 250htt and above. so the opteron 170 has a 10x multi so if it hits 250htt (mobo) then that gives you 2.5ghz.

the opteron can do more than that, most likely, so the 4400 would have a 11x so your mobo htt doesnt matter as much. but the CPU will not OC as well and costs more.

I would get the opteron 170 and know that you mobo will the limiting factor. if you get the 4400 the CPU will limit your OC not the mobo.

i would get the opteron 170

so the 4400 is Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 (oem)
is down to 199$

you are saying that the opty 170s have a realistic o/c (with my mobo) of 2.5 ghz. I only use two one gig sticks of pc3200 ddr400 xms ram.

the 170 is only 10$ cheaper.

I'm just wondering, if you were taking into consideration that my ram is only ddr400. I don't know very much about overclocking (as i'm sure you've noticied)?

btw, is htt basically the same as fsb? (or at least equivalent amd/intel)

thanks for the help

edit: i'm sure this is a stupid question but its late, so i really don't care. Will an opty 170 at 2.5ghz, be .3 ghz per core faster than a 4400?

Also, i'm wondering now what would be the maximum overclock I could get with my a8n sli, and ddr400 + opty 170?

MonsterEnergy said:
Also, i'm wondering now what would be the maximum overclock I could get with my a8n sli, and ddr400 + opty 170?

To be completely honest, the overclocks people are getting are really based on the steppings (steppings are like serial numbers which tell you what batch the processor came from). You can't really expect an overclock from a processor, but given decent cooling I'm sure you wouldn't have any issues taking any of those processors past 2.5Ghz. Many seem to be in the 2.7-2.9 range, with a few hitting 3.0+

Yes, an opteron 170 at 2.5 will be .3Ghz faster than a 4400+ at stock.

By moving to the 170, you'll have a higher multiplier which means that you won't have to use as high of a HTT (or FSB as you call it) to reach the speed you want. That might be a good idea, as in general the Asus boards aren't the best overclockers. What I suggest is you read this guide now, and after reading the intro information, skip down to the section titled "HTT/FSB Overclocking." It will tell you how to find out the maximum HTT/FSB speed the motherboard will do, and that will help you decide which processor you'd like to go with (based on the multiplier it has).

if i were you.. id get the 165... it has better ocing results in the end.. most 170 can break too high.. and even with ddr400.. just run some lower dividers on your ram.. you'll be fine

By moving to the 170, you'll have a higher multiplier which means that you won't have to use as high of a HTT (or FSB as you call it) to reach the speed you want. That might be a good idea, as in general the Asus boards aren't the best overclockers. What I suggest is you read this guide now, and after reading the intro information, skip down to the section titled "HTT/FSB Overclocking." It will tell you how to find out the maximum HTT/FSB speed the motherboard will do, and that will help you decide which processor you'd like to go with (based on the multiplier it has).
Thank you for that link, that was a good read. I'll have to check out my board's bios when I get home. At which point i'll decide.

if i were you.. id get the 165... it has better ocing results in the end.. most 170 can break too high.. and even with ddr400.. just run some lower dividers on your ram.. you'll be fine

Does overclocking neccesairly invalidate your warranty? Can newegg or amd tell when you've overclocked and damaged a processor?

Thanks for the help

MonsterEnergy said:
Does overclocking neccesairly invalidate your warranty? Can newegg or amd tell when you've overclocked and damaged a processor?

Thanks for the help

yeah, it does invalidate the warranty. No, they won't be able to tell (unless you physically damaged it), but it's the honest thing to honor the warranty terms :D

170s aren't liable to "break" or anything, so I don't understand what he was talking about...

quadnad said:
170s aren't liable to "break" or anything, so I don't understand what he was talking about...

sorry i break that 170 dont break too high of oc barriers.. ive seen most get stuck around 2.7 or so.. while alot of 165 are hitting 3.0ghz easily

I don't think I would be able to get near to 3.0 ghz with a 165, since i have an a8n-sli and ddr400. Which for now at least, makes the possibility of oveclocking past 2.5-2.7ish usesless for me.
(correct me if im wrong)

MonsterEnergy said:
I don't think I would be able to get near to 3.0 ghz with a 165, since i have an a8n-sli and ddr400. Which for now at least, makes the possibility of oveclocking past 2.5-2.7ish usesless for me.
(correct me if im wrong)

The chips are identical between 170s and 165, and I think the reason xizgone believes that they aren't as good overclockers is simply because people don't buy as many of them (the general rule of thumb when overclocking is to purchase the low-end proc, because you get the best bang v buck that way).

You still have every possibility of passing 3ghz, but make sure you find the max HTT your board will do before you order your proc.

I'd like to remain optimistic, however this guy doesn't seem to share your opinion,
the A8n mobos had a problem of hitting 250htt and above. so the opteron 170 has a 10x multi so if it hits 250htt (mobo) then that gives you 2.5ghz.

MonsterEnergy said:
I'd like to remain optimistic, however this guy doesn't seem to share your opinion,

heh, of course it isn't LIKELY, but it's always possible. Not all A8N boards have that issue, so just find out what your particular board maxes out at and go from there.

quadnad said:
The chips are identical between 170s and 165, and I think the reason xizgone believes that they aren't as good overclockers is simply because people don't buy as many of them (the general rule of thumb when overclocking is to purchase the low-end proc, because you get the best bang v buck that way).

You still have every possibility of passing 3ghz, but make sure you find the max HTT your board will do before you order your proc.

actually i had both processor at once... and actually had 4 of them 165.. when they were on sale back then on monarchcomputer and people were reselling 165 on this forums for 300+ cause it did would do 3.0ghz on stock volts.. 2 of them did 2.9 on stock and the other 2 actually did 3.0 on stock.. so afterwards i got a 170 just to test and wat not.. and the best i got out of it was 2.65ghz.. also i read around forums.. and most people with it couldnt hit above 2.8 so yeah

xizgone said:
actually i had both processor at once... and actually had 4 of them 165.. when they were on sale back then on monarchcomputer and people were reselling 165 on this forums for 300+ cause it did would do 3.0ghz on stock volts.. 2 of them did 2.9 on stock and the other 2 actually did 3.0 on stock.. so afterwards i got a 170 just to test and wat not.. and the best i got out of it was 2.65ghz.. also i read around forums.. and most people with it couldnt hit above 2.8 so yeah

to be honest, I'd attribute that to luck. Either way, it's far more based on which steppings you get rather than the model #; plenty of other models are able to hit those speeds at similar voltages.

Check out the [H] Orb, they're all pretty similar. In the end it makes the most sense to find out what HTT your motherboard will do, and then select your processor from there.
opteron.png

Back