Suggestion: Sub-forum for news item comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dew

2[H]4U
I would like to see a sub-forum for news article comments that has a thread for each article. Maybe you guys could code it so it is done automatically. No thread creation except by mods/admin/news-bot

This would allow [centralized] comments on news items as well as driving more people to the forums. This type of comment system would also prevent the segregation of the forums from the main site if you guys ever do decide to add a comments section.

Example: http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjEzMjksLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Here is how it would look as a post:
{TITLE} [17 SEP 06] Console Preorder Rumoring {END TITLE}
(The date format doesn't really matter, I just prefer the military style of dd MMM yy since it gets rid of all ambiguity).
{BODY}
This one has been floating around all weekend, but Joystiq seems to have the real story. It looks as though the Gamestop/EB regime is testing a program in Guam and Hawaii that will allow you to preorder a Wii or PS3. The catch? You cannot use credit or cash, it must be traded in used games. Once again there isn’t a lot of confirmation so stay tuned.

[Update 1: According to reports from Go Nintendo and Gamers Reports, the program is indeed true for stores in Hawaii and Guam. The program is purportedly being tested before a possible expansion into other territories. We're still awaiting an official response from GameStop corporate.]

Link: http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjEzMjksLCxobmV3cywsLDE=
{END BODY}

This has been discussed before. It doesn't make much sense to just throw every news item in a single subforum. Rather, if discussion for a particular item is warranted, then someone can create a thread in the relevant forum.

edit: also, I think someone has mentioned before that putting discussion links for every news item on the front page just seems to draw in the idiots, and would be more work for the moderators.

There's no need for this. Most of the news items have a forum they can be discussed in already, if members so desire.

What about a "General News Discussion" where news articles from [H]ardOCP can be discussed. User created as needed. Some articles do not require discussion, but some do. Soetimes there is not a place to discuss certain articles. If an article warrants discussion, the user can create a thread under that forum.

I personally cannot see use for it right now, but if it was there, I'm sure I would use it as would others.

This is a non-biased post and does not count as a vote for either side, it is a suggestion to improve upon the original idea. [/disclaimer :D ]

I too would like a link from a story to a thread in the forum.
vote +1

too bad it's not a democracy =P

robble said:
too bad it's not a democracy =P

It is a democracy, one man, one vote.

That man just happens to be Kyle.

FWIW I think this is a goodish idea, but it could get unwieldy.

This is the usual reason we don't jump right on these suggestions. What looks damn good on paper is actually a nightmare scenerio when exposed to 65k members. What looks good to a small group doesn't always work out when exposed to the masses.

MartinX said:
It is a democracy, one man, one vote.

That man just happens to be Kyle.

FWIW I think this is a goodish idea, but it could get unwieldy.

We have been kicking this around for a while now and it will likely make the next round of updates we put into the [H] site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back