Suggestions? Comments? [New build]

Qonfused

Weaksauce
Great choices on everything!

Suggestion: If you're going to overclock, save some cash and get a 3200+ or 3000+ instead. I've got my 3000+ oc'd to 2400MHz w/no bump in vCore and w/stock hsf.....it runs cool and stable. :D With the money saved, put it towards the EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLI board instead of the Ultra.

I was planning on overclocking a little bit and was actually wondering wether or not to drop down to a 3000+. But would my processor then become a bottleneck?

Also, could I drop down to a 6800GT without a major performance loss? What kind of FPS loss are we talking? 15-20 FPS? Take BF2, for example: what kind of framerate will I get with this current system only with a 6800GT? Would it be that far away from a 7800GT's framerate?

Qonfused said:
I was planning on overclocking a little bit and was actually wondering wether or not to drop down to a 3000+. But would my processor then become a bottleneck? Thanks.
What kind of monitor are you using and what resolutions do plan on playing games at with the new 7800?

DejaWiz said:
What kind of monitor are you using and what resolutions do plan on playing games at with the new 7800?

1280x1024. (But see my edit...)

My current monitor is no longer carried by Newegg and I can't find it on their site.
Philips 107E56 Black 17" CRT.

Max of 1280x1024 with all the eye candy on...... you won't have any bottlenecking issues with an oc'd 3000+ or 3200+ and a 7800series. Go for it. :D :D ;)

Qonfused said:
Also, could I drop down to a 6800GT without a major performance loss? What kind of FPS loss are we talking? 15-20 FPS? Take BF2, for example: what kind of framerate will I get with this current system only with a 6800GT? Would it be that far away from a 7800GT's framerate?

What about this concern?

Here's a blurb from Firing Squad from their BF2 Optimization Guide:

FSBF2OG said:
NVIDIA cards, using Forceware Version 77.77
NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT PCI-E

- NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT: The 6800GT had its ups and downs more due to kicking me out of the game during loading. Of course, that was an occasional downer. The 6800GT put up a good fight with the X850XT, but had occasional jerkiness at 1280x960 in screens where many explosions were occurring and when being set at 2xAA. At 1024x768, go ahead and set everything High and enable full 2xAA (around 60fps). At 1280x960, set everything to High and disable 2xAA (58fps).
The BF2 problems were fixed with the 78.xx series drivers.

More goodies:
Comparison of 7800 series and a 6800Ultra.

More results.

Even more results!

At lower resolutions, the 7800GT will give 20+ more fps in BF2. At higher resolutions, this will be even greater. I'm going to hypothesize and say that a 7800GT will have a 30+ fps advantage at 1280x1024 with the eye candy turned up. Damn! You should really think about saving up another $100 or so (easier said than done sometimes, I know) and get another gig of RAM to with all this in the near future. COD2 is just around the corner.... ;)

Yep, after looking at those graphs (thanks a lot, by the way), I'll stick with the 7800GT.

So, is my system ready to order then (well when everything is in stock :p)?

I'd say you're all set.

I'm still going to suggest the SLI board over the Ultra. Even if you never end up using SLI, it's still something that'll be available just in case you get a wild hair sometime down the road. Regardless, all your choices look great.

It's nice to see someone that did a bit of homework before jumping in with both feet (I couldn't expect anything less from someone in MI afterall.... that's my motherland. :D ).

Back