Suggestions for general use build

SILVR 6

Gawd
I haven't built a decent computer for about 2 years now, I had a rather mobile lifestyle and now that I"m actually going to be in one place for a while now, i'm finding having a desktop makes more sense than a DTR laptop. I've been somewhat out of the loop hardware wise and would like suggestions on how to best spend my money.

1) What will you be doing with this PC?
Web browsing, HTPC duties, small amount of gaming (Team fortress 2, and that era games) I'll also be doing some video encoding and dvd ripping
2) What's your budget?
$1000 CDN
3) Where do you live?
Saskatchewan Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU, Mobo, Ram, PSU, GPU
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
have 4x 64GB Kingston SSD Now Gen II and 2x WD Scorpio Blue 2.5" 640GB drives I Also have an Antec P180Mini, Sata DVD-RW'sI
6) Will you be overclocking?
It's not a big issue, a minor overclock would be nice
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1X 28" 1900X1200 2X 17" 1280x1024 I plan to run all 3 monitors off one gpu, but not for gaming.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the month
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Don't really care for crossfire or SLI as I don't game enough to warrant having 2 graphic cards, onboard raid is important, as I'd like to Raid the SSD Drives and possibly the 2 640's, I"d like USB 3.0 too
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
I will be purchasing windows 7 home premium.

I want something that can multitask fast, and I guess in a way i'm picky I don't like to wait for things I want everything to be pretty damn quick, part of the reason why I want to RAID 0 the 4 SSD's, Raid on the 640's would be raid 1 for data backup.

I"ve been thinking towards an i5 760 or a Phenom X6 1055, but really don't know which to go for. I don't plan on upgrading this build for a while and want it to last, which is why i'm leaning towards a 1055t, Ram wise I"m looking for no less than 8gb's of ram, For a graphics card, I guess i need something decent to run things at 1900x1200 if i was to play something,but gaming isn't my priority, would a 5670 be sufficient in that regard?

Also related to the video card, I want to run triple monitors for multitasking, is it better to use one gpu for that or rely on integrated graphics (on an ati mobo) along with a seperate gpu?

Regarding the motherboard, since I have the p180 mini, it needs to be m-atx, but i'm having a hard time finding a matx mobo with anymore than 6sata ports, considering the amount of drives i'm going to be running i'm thinking my best bet would be a pcie 1x controller card for the optical drive and 640's

I"m coming from an i7 HP notebook, with specs in sig and want something with similar if not better performance.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

$212 - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU
$105 - Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 AMD 880G mATX Motherboard
$284 - 4 x G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$155 - Gigabyte GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$76 - Seasonic S121II 620 620W PSU
----
Total: $842 plus tax and shipping

Plenty of cash leftover to cover the costs of a PCI-E x1 controller card.

Anyway some notes:
- Already maxed out at 16GB of RAM :D
- The HD 5770 is the cheapest bang for the buck card now for 1920x1200 gaming. The HD 5670 is simply waay too insufficient for even light gaming at 1920x1200.
- Speaking of video cards, last I checked, you can run a monitor off the AMD motherboard's onboard graphics at the same as other monitors from your dedicatd card. Even if I'm wrong about that, that HD 5770 has a display port. So all you need is a display port to VGA or DVI adapter and you'll get three outputs from one card. But the onboard is definitely worth a try first.

Back