suggestions for outside file transfer

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
a coworker is interested in working from home. Most of this would be access to Word files, might be nice to do some remote applications as well (that would only be installed on one of the PC's in the office).

I'm usually against opening things up to the outside, so I'm looking for the safest way to do this. Files are stored on a win2k Server machine, the application to be run (and its data files) is on an XP pro machine. Both of these (office pc's) are behind a fairly basic linksys router/switch to our DSL connection. Pretty sure the (home) remote computers are running XP home (doubt its pro) over a cable modem.

I'm considering: FTP server, RDP, or a VPN setup (http://www.realvnc.com/ ??). the VPN is very new to me though. any thoughts? I'd love to tell them just to use a USB memory card. This is a law office and I don't want responsibility for problems.

I have a few law offices (and other offices) setup on routers that support VPN connections. Nice and secure...then, once they VPN into the router, the can Remote Desktop Client to their WinXPpro host workstations...and work virtually as if they were sitting at their workstation at the office.

Windows XP RDC has fantastic performance, so much quicker than VNC flavors, or PcAnywhere.

Routers that support VPN connections are plentifull, yes you'll end up spending a bit more than your typical sub-$100.00

Alternatively, if they dont' want to splurge on a more SOHO grade router that supports (typically from 300 to 600 bucks..such as Sonicwall, Cisco PIX, Linksys/Cisco RV0 series)...you can take several other approaches. Setup their server to accept VPN connections, they VPN in, and hit their workstation from there. Or...forward ports to their statically assigned workstation..and work from there.

My suggestion, bang for the buck, snag a Linksys/Cisco RV082 or RV016 router...they accept IPSec and PPTP VPN connections, are VERY robust, fast, rock solid devices. I've been spitting out those routers for over the past year now..and I love them.

Thanks. do you think RDC just through the router direct to the XP machine is secure enough? or should i try to set up a VPN first? I've used PCanywhere and RDC before over the same connection, and I'd agree that RDC is much faster. You mentioned VPN and then RDC, would the VPN slow down the connection much?

I may be able to convince them to buy a small router to replace the one we connect to the DSL line to the network switch. boss was asking about a backup since we had water drip from upstairs last week (fried the old switch). So I could get a 4 port router w/ VPN and keep the other as the backup.

I'd say that you should do the VPN (either to the server or to a capable router) as it gives you flexibility in the future. But RDC open to the desktop is secure as well, just not flexible.

VPN would be my first choice. Next would be something like RDP/RealVNC (encrypted) for remote viewing. For file transfer, you could use something like SSH which is secure. Or, you could use SFTP, but that's annoying to set up. Last resort would be plain FTP.

I've been using Hamachi, http://www.hamachi.cc/. It's real easy to setup, but I don't know about the security of it. It's basically a VPN client from what I understand. You install it on a computer, create a network, install it on another computer that connects to that network. It's been working well for me for accessing files from a fileserver at work.

black_b[ ]x said:
Thanks. do you think RDC just through the router direct to the XP machine is secure enough? or should i try to set up a VPN first? I've used PCanywhere and RDC before over the same connection, and I'd agree that RDC is much faster. You mentioned VPN and then RDC, would the VPN slow down the connection much?.

VPN performance somewhat depends on what you're dialing into, what bandwidth is available at the host, and remote (consider the upload of each...a chain is only as strong as the weakest link)....I've been using Linksys/Cisco RV082 and RV016 routers a lot lately...very good SOHO grade routers. The VPN tunnels are fine for RDC...several at a time. Erases any worries you have about having port 3389 exposed for some RDC connection through a budget router. Even though they can be made quite secure (assuming you use your head and have changed the Administrator password from default, and stuff like that).

Back