Suggestions........I think I FUBAR'd my BIOS.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
I was flashing the BIOS on an older ASUS P5N-E SLI last night.

The flash was accepted and successful according to the EZ Flash utility, BUT I can't get past the initial ASUS Splash screen.

Keyboard won't work.
Took out the battery, cleared the jumper, no change.

Any suggestions or do I need to RMA?????

Thanks.

What kind of keyboard are you using? USB perhaps?

Try connecting an old skool PS2 keyboard?

Also tried hitting the TAB key really fast at bootup to see if you can get a look at the real POST screen instead of the Asus splash screen?

keyboard is old PS/2.

I tried just about everything I can think of. Even hooked up a floppy and a boot disc and no go.

Anything else you'd suggest??

Maybe try with 1 stick of memory?

Dude, you won the prize!!!!!
Just as I was about to cry uncle, I pulled a stick of RAM and the thing cranked right up.
I was going to put in 4 GB of 1066 Ram anyway, so I upped the VDimm and plugged in the new RAM and haven't looked back.

Wierd deal.
The BIOS took right away, I can't understand what the Ram had to do with it; but we think alike.
Thabnks for the suggestion.

lol...glad you got it working.

I've run into that a couple times. Boot with 1 stick and adjust the memory voltage in bios and then let it ride. Kind of sucks because if you have to clear cmos you have to do a dance with the memory, but anyway, glad it works.

Dude, you won the prize!!!!!
Just as I was about to cry uncle, I pulled a stick of RAM and the thing cranked right up.
I was going to put in 4 GB of 1066 Ram anyway, so I upped the VDimm and plugged in the new RAM and haven't looked back.

Wierd deal.
The BIOS took right away, I can't understand what the Ram had to do with it; but we think alike.
Thabnks for the suggestion.

werd up, i had the same problem with mine...learned the hard way after buying a new motherboard :mad:

Thanks for the tip. I was scratching my head on that one.

It was probably because the BIOS wouldn't properly recognize what the RAM was and did the thing that nearly all BIOS do with memory: Dial the voltage back to 1.8V, however it was trying to run the RAM at the rated speed.

The above = no go.

Nearly all mobos will boot with one stick of memory even if it is rated for more voltage or speed.

The MB HAD basic Corsair DDR2 800 1.8V memory running at stock when I flashed the BIOS, I had the entire MB on default before I flashed.

For some reason removing one stick of RAM did the trick.
After it booted, I checked the settings out and ran in and out of the boot up a few times to insure it was OK.

Then I upper the VDimm to 2.1 and put in my new Ram, and overclocked the board with its new CPU and Ram.:D

Back