Sugo SG02 owners

MaSsAcRe

Weaksauce
So i've decided to build a SFF computer using the SG02. My only question is in regards to the CPU cooler. I've looked through the forums and haven't really found a straight answer.

I've decided to go with the Scythe Shuriken as the cooler and noticed that the fan blows from the top down. Obviously this will be an issue with any 120mm/140mm PSU. Should I simply switch the fan to blow air up or should I look into getting a different type of PSU? The CPU will be a core i7 non-OC'd so extreme cooling isn't a priority over silence. Any input would be appreciated.

I'm idling at 45C on a E8400 which seems high, also a Shuriken in a SG02-F case below a HX520.

Should I flip the fan so it sucks air out into the psu?

The NT06 HSF models were built for SG cases. If it were me I'd take and attach a fan under the NT06 cooling fins and have it blow upward. Some people have done this before and posted pics. They use ties to hold the fan in place to the heat sink fins. The PSU then sucks in the air from atop and pushes it out the back. From what I have heard they have used Corsair and Silverstone short cable model PSU to do this. The downside, and this is inherit of all SG cases, is that it only drops the temps by maybe 5C. This is probably the easiest mod you can do yourself with a hsf in a SG case. Other mods require something more intense or radical. Unfortunately SG cases only allow so big of a hsf inside them.

There are many SG02 threads here so you can go back and read through them all if you got the time. Search will work some but IMO the old fashion way of going back through each page (and there are a helluvalot of them) is probably a more thorough way of looking for them. Very time consuming though.

I'm idling at 45C on a E8400 which seems high, also a Shuriken in a SG02-F case below a HX520.

Should I flip the fan so it sucks air out into the psu?

Edit: Okay, I looked at the fan again on the Shuriken. I would try and flipping it so it blows up into the psu. It cant hurt anything to try. Only thing you lose is your time. Measure your idle temps and load temps before and after flipping the fan to see which gives you best cooling performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't switched it yet since I've been busy. I did get the store to swap out the E8400 for a Q8400 and temps remain the same. 40-45 C idle and 65-70 C load.

The Corsair HX520 is known for being quiet (with its fan moving slowly and quietly) and with my hand at the back it doesn't feel like the large 120mm fan on its bottom is moving much air at all so I'm not sure how much it would harm/help.

So I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

A word of warning to any SG02-F purchasers: the hard drive cage makes hard drives in it noisy as hell. I own 6 WD Caviar Greens and this is the first one that has literally driven me crazy with its incredibly audible grinding and crunching from all the seeking/writing/access. So much so I have to order a NoVibes III from the states for $25USD+$25USD (ugh) shipping.

Flipping the fan direction helps a lot. I had mine blowing down before and it was competing with the psu fan for air. Plus the turbulence from the competing fans were driving me nuts. Now with the fans going in the same direction i'm getting lower temps plus the noise has been reduced drastically.

Looks like the WD Green was defective. Changing for a WD Black 640GB results in inaudible goodness.

Well not quite inaudible but muted seeks compared to the nasty WD Green I exchanged it for.

Reversing the fan on the Shuriken lowered temps by around 5C so it's 34-39-41-44 idle with the fan set to only 1200rpm, down 1000rpm from full blast.

If I set the other 3 case fans to 1100 rpm and the GTX to 25% with RivaTuner, things are much more pleasant. GTX idles at 55C-60C instead of 45-50C.

I'm happy.

Well not quite inaudible but muted seeks compared to the nasty WD Green I exchanged it for.

Reversing the fan on the Shuriken lowered temps by around 5C so it's 34-39-41-44 idle with the fan set to only 1200rpm, down 1000rpm from full blast.

If I set the other 3 case fans to 1100 rpm and the GTX to 25% with RivaTuner, things are much more pleasant. GTX idles at 55C-60C instead of 45-50C.

I'm happy.

Cool beans!

I'm looking at getting this myself for for an almost inaudible setup. The sapphire I currently have is the loudest thing in my box. It's not noisy but I can still hear it over all the other fans.

This case will never be silent with all of its fans and that video card needs air blowing onto it. I'm not so sure the two 80mms over it will do much instead of a normal one at the front as an intake fan.

How about setting for "quiet" with a Sapphire Vapor-X or something 4870 card?

Yeah, it's really hard to keep the SG02 quiet with all the 80mm fans running. Even with the Sapphire Silent 4870, you can still hear a low droning sound from the system fans.

The fans in my SG01 were fairly quiet, although they didn't move hardly any air. That was the SG01 I don't know if the fans were the same.

sg02bf.jpg

Core 2 Quad Q9400
MediaSonic ProBox 4 SATA external enclosure through eSATA
Asus P5QL-EM (perfect SATA port placement)
Scythe Shuriken revB @ 1950rpm
BFG Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 OC 55nm 896MB @ 25%
3x 80mm 1500rpm Scythe Kama Flex fans (@ 1100rpm)
WD Caviar Black 640GB
4GB (2x2) Mushkin EM2-6400 DDR2 RA
USB Samsung external SE-SO84B 8x DVDL burner
Logitech G15 + G5v2
Scythe Kaze Server fan controller
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
Corsair HX520

Last edited:
SG02-F takes up to 12 inches. I was inquiring more about the 3 slot requirement.

Back