Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer with sandy bridge?

iliac

n00b
I am currently using a Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer on my core2quad. I am looking at upgrading to a new sandy bridge setup, most likely the the 2500k. I've been told that my currently cooler will continue to provide good results, I just need to use an adaptor.

I was hoping for some additional opinions. Would this be a good route to take or should I just go ahead and spend the extra money and get a newer heatsink?

Thanks

Sandy Bridge will overclock like mad with the stock cooler.. I'm sure the Core Contact Freezer will do just fine. :)

I am using the Sunbeam core contact 120 (from my old Phenom/AM2) using that adapter. The adapter is a pile of garbage, but once you get it setup, the cooler is more than sufficient. I have the P8P67, one side of the adapter was touching a MB heatsink, I had to sand off about 1MM from the adapter. Two of the 4 nuts on the backplate stripped out with minimal torque applied. I had to drill out all 4 and use my own hardware to get it solidly mounted. Once it was on, I had to slightly bend the top mb heatsink to get one of the clips from the HS onto the bracket. The bracket was a big hassle, but going through it saved me a lot of money compared to buying a new HS/F.

At my Overclock (44x100 @ 1.275v) using Intel Burn Test the hottest it gets is 59C, idle is 27C. Playing Starcraft 2 at Ultra it doesn't get above 35C.

A buddy of mine uses the sunbeam on his 2500k and hasn't had any issues. He used the auto OC util for his board and it took him up to 4.7ghz and it stays under 65c doing burn tests.

Back