Super Geek Resume

HardOCP News

[H] News
Making the perfect resume is an art form. You want to include as much of your pertinent work history as possible without it becoming a book. You want to give as much personal information as possible without including Polaroids from spring break. So what is a geek to do if your resume looks a little "bland?" Do what this guy did.

If I was looking for a graphic designer or someone to make charts and presentations, I would call this guy for an interview. Way to get noticed.

oh my gosh i would freak if i saw that. lol

thats one of the most uninformative resumes ever... except to show multiple job experience (that part is nice)...

if he ignored the cofee break parts and included this as a 2nd page resume to explain work history thats great.

but to sum up all your skills in 5 phrases, for that huge of a timeline doesn't say much when cofee/humor get just as much info.

and i take this to seriously

Depending on the position, I'd be impressed. Visuals are supposed to make it easier for information retrieval. This just conveyed to me that he is really proficient at presentation/graphic designing, but I found it took more effort to figure out his timeline/skills. Personally, its not something I look for in resumes.

This guy would get my attention. Although, that is a very high risk move... as the managers are not always the ones to screen the resumes... you may get his/her receptionist to do that... which means you are screwed.

This guy would get my attention. Although, that is a very high risk move... as the managers are not always the ones to screen the resumes... you may get his/her receptionist to do that... which means you are screwed.
Yeah that would suck.
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif

Then it'd be time to get a smarter receptionist. ;)

Most interviewers would toss it after 60 seconds.

You have about 1 minute to catch a reviewers eye and make them understand why you are right for them.

This one requires WAY too much study, and when there is a stack a foot tall on the desk, well, there are easier one's to review.

Well, at any rate, he's all over the Internet now. Probably doing an interview as we type.

if I was an employer and was mostly illiterate and easily impressed by colors and shit, then maybe I'd be interested...

He should get a better email address for any of his professional communication.

As a graphic designer that would the most relevant career path for him and as such his resume is geared towards the artistic environment in which he has more than likely chosen as his career profession, in that case this is a perfect resume for such a field.

You have about 1 minute to catch a reviewers eye and make them understand why you are right for them.

This one requires WAY too much study, and when there is a stack a foot tall on the desk, well, there are easier one's to review.

Yup...stay inside the box. This one would not catch your eye at all. We wouldn't want anyone with creativity working for our company! :rolleyes:

Your right, he has a better chance of getting an interview by blending in with the other 1,000+ resumes sitting in your foot tall stack of papers.

This guy would get my attention. Although, that is a very high risk move...

Agreed......but then nothing ventured - nothing gained. It might be worth it depending on his circumstances.

He should get a better email address for any of his professional communication.

Yup. I've had my personal (what was I thinking back then?), and professional seperate for a long time. My son couldn't understand why I made him create another email besides something like "SUPERman22roX" or some other idiotic address. He will in time.;)

Your right, he has a better chance of getting an interview by blending in with the other 1,000+ resumes sitting in your foot tall stack of papers.

His might end up on top, but then again it might just get tossed first too.

It's bold......I'll give him that.

Sometimes it's funny thought people don't realize what the email address is. I had one student, who was 16 mind you, ask me a question via email and her email address was something like HrnyGrl69@.... geezus.... I decided to just ignore it and not even mention it.

It'd be interesting to use it if you're applying at a small business where the manager reads all resumes especially in this economy. But I'd also have a copy of a regularly reformatted resume when I go in for an interview just incase.

He might want to spell check his work too.

Expenditure, not Expendature. :rolleyes:

Otherwise pretty nifty.

I find it interesting that productivity goes up when he drinks less coffee. haha

I dunno, some people say it was hard to understand quickly. I just glanced at it and got the gist of important dates and experience... but I'm an engineer FWIW -and this resume wouldn't be used for a scientist/engineer position.

BUT, since it's obvious he's a computer graphic designer from what is listed on the resume, I think it may be appropriate. As others have said, an attached normal resume would be a great addition. In a very job-competitive market where it may be difficult to distinguish oneself from multiple applicants, this is pretty nice. It's a field where you can let your work be shown on your resume literally, why not?

It's an eye-catcher for sure, but what is his personality like. How are his work vs. personal habits going to affect how he performs on the job. A lot of times when I hired guys, I honestly cared more about their personality and how they would fit within the group rather than their skills. Their skills good or bad will come out in the wash, but if personalities don't jive then that actually causes loss of productivity more than anything.

His resume looks better than half the design artists actual work that I have had the unfortunate pleasure of working with :p

I think something like this would definitely grab the attention of a boutique shop, like myself, to at least pass around the office. I would then check out his online portfolio and go from there. It is important to have a very good online portfolio I think for these guys...and this one little [H] posting got me to his site checking out his stuff...

To be completely honest a big wordy resume means less to me than actual work I can see when it comes to designers. I think its fun :) But it is definitely risky and larger firms might just pass it up after a glance.

heck most companies use a program to pick out keywords that match the requirements they are looking for, with that format his resume wouldn't even make it to a real person. It looks great though but a lot HR people probably wouldn't understand it.

heck most companies use a program to pick out keywords that match the requirements they are looking for, with that format his resume wouldn't even make it to a real person. It looks great though but a lot HR people probably wouldn't understand it.

But the people that get picked like that don't get the cool bitch'n jobs either. Those jobs are typically just "blah blah blah gives me money jobs". If you want to be a lead graphics designer for a company, putting your resume into the pool of 1000's is full of fail. He is doing EXACTLY what he needs to do. On average, I would bet his style would get a higher paying and more interesting jobs quicker than just following the pack and hope a program "picks" you. Hell, my own resume as an EE has touches of what he did. It works....I get interview calls quite often (i'm always looking) and the first interview (usually phone) almost always touches on how my resume looks.

I thought it was much easier to read than a wall of text...

The format looks great, though I wouldn't use all of the same content he did. I also wouldn't use this by itself, but rather as a supplement.

Consider his target too... he's looking for a design job so in that area, I would think this would definitely warrant a follow-up call, if only to comment on the originality of his submission. If this was for a sysadmin type of job or something, I'd want more details.

I'm not sure what I'd think...

I'd probably call the guy in because he's creative and original, but I'd expect a real resume once he got there.

Too bad this wouldn't make it past the automated scanner/keyword screener to even get to the Tier 1 Recruiter.

Simple test: Take your Word resume (with all the fancy backgrounds and styles you want) and save it as an .rtf -- or better yet .txt -- file. If you can't read it, you lose.

I've only seen one person comment on what needs to be understood here. Sure, this guy might miss out on dozens of job opportunities from uncreative, blande, boring washed up employers. But clearly this individual does not want that kind of job. Basically any employer who fails to see the beauty in this resume is not someone he would want to work for anyway. This guy is obviously very creative, and for anyone with an artistic bone in their body this resume is very easy to read. When his phone finally rings, it will be from someone he wants to work for.

Too bad this wouldn't make it past the automated scanner/keyword screener to even get to the Tier 1 Recruiter.

Simple test: Take your Word resume (with all the fancy backgrounds and styles you want) and save it as an .rtf -- or better yet .txt -- file. If you can't read it, you lose.

Except this is clearly not the type of resume your trying to post on Monster.

I've only seen one person comment on what needs to be understood here. Sure, this guy might miss out on dozens of job opportunities from uncreative, blande, boring washed up employers. But clearly this individual does not want that kind of job. Basically any employer who fails to see the beauty in this resume is not someone he would want to work for anyway. This guy is obviously very creative, and for anyone with an artistic bone in their body this resume is very easy to read. When his phone finally rings, it will be from someone he wants to work for.

Agreed. It'd be his weed out process as well, essentially.

Wow. Seven years of school to be a photoshop monkey? All that alleged CS work and all he can do is flash and VB? Fail.

Except this is clearly not the type of resume your trying to post on Monster.

Unless he's hand-delivering it to the hiring manager, any company with an HR system will have it scanned and OCR'd, and this layout will kill the message.

I seriously doubt this is his only resume. If in the event of any complaints, he'd be well prepared to have a standard, plain jane type resume... but I agree, this is quite eye catching and certainly would get you noticed. The problem is stuck up managerial types not having any sense of amusement left in their bodies going as far as to even ask the guy if he has anything more.

Unless he's hand-delivering it to the hiring manager, any company with an HR system will have it scanned and OCR'd, and this layout will kill the message.

This kind of resume is for hand delievery or direct e-mail. You wouldn't send this to a HR person.

Back