Super Hot SSD Deals - M4s $1/Gb

ffs... and I was just going to SAVE my money for once...

DAMN YOU, NEWEGG GODS!!!!!

I almost bought another to do a RAID 0 set up. But 1 single M4 is plenty fast enough for my needs. These are great SSDs. Very stable.
I hope the $1 GB price is something that becomes a norm.

Ugh, just blew the money I made from a sale on an M4 128GB for my gf. Replaced everything in her PC last year except the HDDs (which are slow 240GBers from 6 years ago). Waiting on 2TB drives to go back down to normal prices, but this will at least be good for her C drive since those oldies are ready to croak any time now.

Damn you, Newegg. Damn you...

EDIT: LOL @ guitarslingerchris. I should probably order 2, but this is going to be my first SSD so I kinda wanted to use hers as a test.

Last edited:
Fuck, I can't afford it, but I'll order another one anyway.

Me and saving just don't seem to go together...

I really don't need another 64gb..........so tempting to raid these............noooo (°_° the sound of my wallet)

Wow that's awesome! I lucked out too, because I just purchased one of these the other day on the $149 deal, but for some reason USPS sent it back to sender, so I will be getting a refund. I guess I'm buying another and saving 20 bucks.

Anything else I'd need to get to migrate from a 1TB spinner? Data transfer software? Or is it best just to do a clean OS install?

I just did a new build a month ago, so not much other than the OS on the spinner now.

When using an SSD as the OS drive, it's always best to perform a clean OS install instead of migrating from an existing drive.

EDIT: But if you're not very tech savvy and/or have never installed an OS from scratch, then there are still those out there who claim migration is fine. See: http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

Even with platter HDDs though, when moving from one to another, I prefer to do clean installs instead of migrating from an existing drive. Not sure if it's just because of how I was trained through various jobs, but peace of mind with a clean install > chance of something wrong being copied over from an existing install, be it due to hardware issues or data corruption. This becomes a non-issue when moving from data drive to data drive, but when moving from OS drive to OS drive on a personal workstation, you really want to ensure that any chance of data corruption is kept to a minimum since most personal computers won't have proper backup solutions set in place.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan then. I've been waiting for these to hit the $1/GB price point, so I'm in for one.

Dang... So I have a question. I have a 128GB m4 already installed with my OS and some programs. Can I buy another 128gb and raid 0 it without having to wipe it or anything? Will that cause any problems?

Could I do a mirror back-up, wipe the original drive, raid 0 them, and then push the backup onto the raid 0 2 drives?

I just bought one off there last night. If Newegg doesn't credit me, I'm going to go nuts.

EDIT: They did. Saved me $45.

Hmmmm, is it time to replace my Velociraptor gaming drive? Are SSDs ok for use as a game drive? I already have an M4 for OS. Decisions, decisions. :)

g1xx3r, that's what gamers have been using them for even when they were too expensive to buy as OS drives, yes.

Hmmmm, is it time to replace my Velociraptor gaming drive? Are SSDs ok for use as a game drive? I already have an M4 for OS. Decisions, decisions. :)

If you load a lot of maps. Absolutely. I know I do. Usually the first one to load up every time. :)

Ok thanks for your help on my questions guys. Now I have to decide...do I get another 128gb xD

Good thing I'm at work. I would jump on this so hard. Lets see if its still available when I get home tonight. About time these got down to about a buck a gig. SSD need to absorb the market while there's still time before the hard drive return to their old pricings.

Ok thanks for your help on my questions guys. Now I have to decide...do I get another 128gb xD

You won't see much of a difference in an SSD Raid 0 unless you perform intensive I/O operations all the time. Do you tax your single drive right now? If the answer is no, you won't see much of a real world performance boost by moving to RAID 0 M4s.

If you're going to get another one, get it for extra space or for putting into another workstation, not for more speed. Almost all "gamers" and enthusiasts will not find a use for the extra speed other than benchmark bragging rights, because for the average person and their real world needs, there's hardly a difference between Firefox loading in 1 second and loading in .5ms.

And I just bought 2x 128GB M4's for $169 or 159 just 2 weeks ago.

hmmm 4x these in RAID0 would be fun....

How does the Crucial M4 256GB SSD compare to the new Intel 520 (Cherryville) 240GB SSD? Any noticeable performance difference?

How does the Crucial M4 256GB SSD compare to the new Intel 520 (Cherryville) 240GB SSD? Any noticeable performance difference?

Without looking up reviews or Google comparisons, as far as I recall the M4 series is comparable to the Intel 520 series in performance. With Intel 520, you're paying for:

1) Brand name
2) Better support
3) The best manufacturer warranty for any consumer-grade SSD

Again, just what I recall from reading comparisons in the past. They use the same controller, and one review mentioned that the M4 gets firmware updates faster between the two (for what reason I have no idea).

New intel ssd uses sf now and is faster I believe. Not worth the price premium over this though.

Back