SuperFetch.. a few SuperQuestions.. ;)

gaspah

2[H]4U
Ok, so now that I've got 8GiB in here, at first i thought... this is a bit silly upgrading from Corsair 4x1GiB PC-6400 > Kingmax 4x2GiB PC-6400 (same timings)... I mean I upgraded because on of my 1GiB sticks went bust and they expect BOTH sticks when you RMA them, that added onto the fact this supplier is painfully pathetic when it comes to processing RMA, and even more pathetic when it's an obsolete line (the memory isn't btw), we waited 13 months for a GeForce 7100GS (which was worthless to resell by the time we got it and is now another piece of test bench equipment)...

So anyways, I thought, I'm never going to see any real-world performance increase, until this morning I loaded up Nero Express, and to my complete amazement, the application was on-screen and fully functional in half a second (something windows XP could only dream of)... I was like wow.. as i'm used to waiting up to 30seconds - a minute for Nero Express to load (previously on 4GiB)... so I thought excellent, Nero has wiggled it's way into SuperFetch...

So my question is.. Is there any way to manage SuperFetch? IE choose what programs it prefetches, or at least to check/remove unnessasary items to reduce the noticable addition to boot-up... I tried google and microsoft, but they were both as useless as each other today...

Also... what about allocation size? can you say set it to chew UP TO __GiB of system ram.. or say 50% of system ram

all comments/links/questions/further discussion much appreciated...

I don't know if SuperFetch has some kind of control interface, but I do know that a computer is a computer - it likely can't tell the difference between you opening a program from time to time for use, and opening it many times just for the purpose of training it.

I don't know if SuperFetch has some kind of control interface, but I do know that a computer is a computer - it likely can't tell the difference between you opening a program from time to time for use, and opening it many times just for the purpose of training it.

yeah.. you just may have something there... but untraining it??

You cant control SuperFetch (maybe in future version of Windows;) )

SuperFetch use all available RAM because its best to use as much RAM as possible and if user need RAM for somethig else it will give up as much RAM as you need in fraction of second:).

I don't think it's possible to "untrain" it, it's always trying to learn though so if you used to launch Fabrikam Backup every day but now never do, it will stop trying to optimise that program. If you just use your computer normally it should learn what programs you run.

and if user need RAM for somethig else it will give up as much RAM as you need in fraction of second:).

Oh yeah.. i forgot that you can dump stuff outta ram in a fraction of a second :D:D

still SuperFetch isn't loading that much yet... after startup.. my used ram is still just under 2GiB (omg how did we ever get along with 640k of ram or even 512mb/1GiB)

it will stop trying to optimise that program.

Well I've yet to find out anything on how intelligent this software is.. but I certainly hope this is the case :)

I just upgraded to 6gb of ram from 4gb. It was cheap and the performance increase from the additional caching is huge.
Now Vista and my apps run faster than OSX Leopard on the same machine.

A slight aside, but as regards to the XP Prefetch folder, don't believe anyone who claims that it's a good idea to regularly delete it - it's just not. Anyone who claims that the Prefetch folder contains program data is also wrong, as it actually contains plans for loading applications - XP doesn't preload anything. The Prefetch folder is therefore only a few hundred kilobytes at most.

A slight aside, but as regards to the XP Prefetch folder, don't believe anyone who claims that it's a good idea to regularly delete it - it's just not. Anyone who claims that the Prefetch folder contains program data is also wrong, as it actually contains plans for loading applications - XP doesn't preload anything. The Prefetch folder is therefore only a few hundred kilobytes at most.

Agreed, many "tweak" guides say to empty this folder. I wouldn't do it in XP or Vista, it would only slow things down.

Back