Supermicro 5 in 3 swappable cage and Lian Li case fitting

deanx0r

Limp Gawd
Any of you guys use the Supermicro 5 in 3 cage in Lian Li cases? I was going to jump on one but I've noticed all my Lian Li case have little tabs on the 5.25 trays that may prevent proper fitting. I think I may have to bend or hack them off. Has anyone encountered problems fitting those cages in their PC?

Any of you guys use the Supermicro 5 in 3 cage in Lian Li cases? I was going to jump on one but I've noticed all my Lian Li case have little tabs on the 5.25 trays that may prevent proper fitting. I think I may have to bend or hack them off. Has anyone encountered problems fitting those cages in their PC?

Grab the Norco 5in3
It has slits on the sides for these tabs.

I had some issues when I retrofited these into an enlight 4U rackmount case. The supermicro ones fit great in a Coolermaster stacker and other large cases, but it depends on how the case vendor designed the tabs...

It's hassles like this that made me go to rackmount cases designed for storage...

PS Try rotating the 5in3 by 90 degrees and seeing if it can fit? That helped me once as it's not quite a square..

my coolermaster case had tabs
i removed them with a file
i didn't mind too much as my CM case was cheap, wouldn't be so keen "modifying" a Lian Li case

other option is to cut slots in the SM 5into3 shell

I've looked into the Norco cages and only the 4in3 has those slits. I thought I might spare myself some extra work and be able to find another cage with those slits. No big deal, the Lian Li cases I own have been retired 5-6 years ago, and the aluminum material will make it easier to hack with a file. Thanks for the update!

Not all Lian Li cases have those tabs. The PC-343 comes to mind as one that doesn't.

I used a dremel to remove them off my Lian-li v2000. Didn't take that much, but finding the right angle to cut was tough.

Back