Supermicro H8QGi/6 and H8QGL Next Generation OC BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the highest refclock you can run on 6172?
Mine is currently running stable @240 .. Failed (EUE while folding 6903) @250 .. rebooted @260.
(RAM DDR3 1600)

Mostly depends on your chips' silicon (an unknown) and operating temperatures (the lower the better).

240 is really a top-end score for standard voltage (non-HE, non-SE) CPUs.

Temp is not bad .. around 39-43 while full load (folding)
How can I raise voltage (vcore)? :D

tear is the master but I can answer this one. Presently there is no method available to us to increase vcore on "most" of these CPUs, including 6172.
He alluded to that in his answer with "(non-HE, non-SE)".
What'cha see is what'cha get. ;)

I am getting ready to buy a set of SE chips from a member here, but they will need some more voltage to work at their best. The last time I looked into this, you could do this with a command from the smocng. Is this still the case or is there another method?

Umm... where did you hear that?

SE chips don't let you change the voltage. Only HE (but only a little bit) and ES chips do.

That said, the member you're about to get the chips from is definitely running them at stock voltage (as that's the highest voltage they let you choose), that assuming we're talking SE.

Not sure what you mean re smocng... can you elaborate?

Just raised refclock to 245 .. . It's been folding 8101 .. and completed 2%.... Let's see if it good.

Sorry, I meant ES, not SE. :) Still working on all of the letters lol. As for the voltage modding stuff, I will start asking more questions about that when I have the system ready to go.

Hey guys whats the command to get the temperature for linux ?

Seems like I cannot find or know it anywhere.

Thanks

OT. Feel free to create a new thread if you need to discuss further :)

How low latency memory can these IMC's really handle? Generally speaking, I know you can't say anything certain or give any guarantees.

Got my six 2GHz ES CPU's this week, still gonna be one or two weeks before my board will be here and I need to get some memory, but I don't wanna spend money on better memory than it can handle as, if I've got this right, you can't change speed nor latencies manually, it's either XMP or JEDEC with this BIOS.

So if you got some 1600 CL6/CL7 mem and it can't handle it you'd be forced to run 1333/1600 CL9 and spent all that money for nothing.

Anybody tried Vengence 1600 CL7? Having a pretty thin selection of memory around here, I don't really like Corsair lately but they don't cost an arm and a leg...

Yes, all customizations (except for MEMCLK) _must_ be done via SPD. If you're not planning to go
beyond memory's specs SPD customization isn't required: it's either simple XMP->JEDEC move
(w/stock ROM) or no-action-required (w/OCNG ROM).

Can't run above 1.5V so keep that on your mind when shopping for memory.

G.Skill 1600 CL7 Ripjaws-X (1.5V) work fine, as do ECO flavors (1.35V), as do Crucial Ballistix 1600 CL8.
G.Skill 1600 CL6 don't work at 1333/CL5 but ROM handles that by default (and sets CL6 if you're below 1333 effective).

Last edited:
Thanks to the makers of this BIOS. It's great.

Ive been trying to o/c this 6164HE ive got.

It completed a 8101 fine with the setting "240 16" but just then at about 16% linux seems to have hung? I was able to interactively see the "login" screen but after I type in my password the whole system frozed. Couldnt ping it. Nothing in the logs after a reboot saying anything.

Any ideas why this is happening? Bad oc?
Ive reduced the clocks down to "235 16" for now.

XMP 1.65V sticks will run at JEDEC (1.5V) spec. Board limitation.

tear how do I up the vcore on the system?

Remember, you can only raise the vcore of the "system" to the max vcore of the CPU with the lowest internal max.
Your chips may all be the same but of my two HE sets there are three different maximums.

Aye. One needs to be aware of VID limits of individual CPUs.

Out of curiosity - if one had an H8QGi+-F that had been previously flashed to the OC BIOS and tried to drop in a *known working* IL ES chip, would a beepless POST failure be the expected outcome?

Last edited:
Ask Goatsongoats -- he's had some, er... experiences with IL in OCNG-flashed board :)

I have a question about if i can use the bios update and do an OC with The processor Amd 6238

Thanks

I have a question about if i can use the bios update and do an OC with The processor Amd 6238

Thanks

Hello.

With this bios you can only overclock magnycours opterons ( 61XX ) .

Don't use it with interlagos opterons ( 62XX ) .

Ok Thanks and aren´t there another bios for interlagos no?

Sure...right here.
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/

Important bits --
  • NO WARRANTY. Neither expressed nor implied. By flashing the BIOS you will void
    your board's warranty. Vendor will only service boards with original BIOS.
  • Make sure to flash ROM appropriate for your board! DO NOT use Gi/6 ROM with a GL
    board or vice-versa; doing so will brick the board
  • If you're currently using classic OC you'll need to revert all previously performed
    changes. I'm deliberately omitting details here -- we'll cover that in another thread
    or even keep it off the forum to avoid confusion.
    [*]No Interlagos/Bulldozer support.

I'm happy to announce that BD/PD support is now in the roadmap :)

Upcoming PD, quickz' -psmax discovery and improved IL performance w/current BA projects carry enough weight to make the work worthwhile.

5c45c6da-070a-4ef4-90d7-be3f5c95c66e.jpg

I am excited by this development.

I put together a system with the H8QGL-iF+ and 4 6180SE's and flashed to the GL1NG3.511 bios over the weekend. My system wasn't stable on some of the same refclocks that other 6180 owners are running, so I flashed back to the standard bios and then cleaned the contacts on all the cpus before trying to oc again. However, after flashing back to the oc bios I am getting random shut offs even at the stock refclock with the optimal settings loaded in the bios. Is there anything I can check to see what is happening? The system log doesn't have any events listed as the cause of the shut down.

Power delivery problems, perhaps? Recheck the security of the EPS-12 connectors. Connected to a UPS with problems (speaking from experience). Are you monitoring the CPU core temperatures? Maybe one of the heatsinks is not adequately synched down.

Last edited:
Since I have lots of experience with this type of error, I can say 'power supply issue' with lots of confidence. When I was getting my 6180s up and going, I was having the exact same issue even at stock speeds. The power supply I had could not drive the CPUs. I got a new PSU and the 6180s are running happy at 226 :)

I will recheck the connections tonight, but from what I remember they are all still good. I've been monitoring CPU temps with tpc -temp and seeing around 52c max in a room that is usually 26-27c.

The power supply I'm using is a new SeaSonic X-1250, so I would assume that would be enough power unless I have a defective one or something is loose. (Just ordered a PSU tester to see if that is my issue)

Last edited:
The power supply I'm using is a new SeaSonic X-1250, so I would assume that would be enough power unless I have a defective one or something is loose. (Just ordered a PSU tester to see if that is my issue)

In theory the CPU should be good enough. I started with a CoolerMaster 1200w Gold Pro which should be enough also. I was getting the random shutoffs under heavy load and shutoffs once full loaded started. I switched out another PSU and prestro everything just worked. I have gotten a couple of things new that have been defective.

I'm also wondering about the connections to the MB from the PSU.
Are you having to use a splitter(s) of some type to get power to all connectors?

He shouldn't need to, that PSU comes with 1 8-pin eps and 1 4+4 pin eps.

I'm using the dedicated 8pin eps and then using a splitter to split the two 4+4 pin eps. Seems like a lot of people are having good luck with the Corsair psu's, I might switch to one once I get the tester and see if my psu is the root of my problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back