Supreme Commander Gone Gold, Baby

HaMMerHeD

[H]F Junkie
Supreme Commander has Gone Gold, Folks.

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI) today announced that Supreme Commander, developed by critically acclaimed Real-Time Strategy designer Chris Taylor and Gas Powered Games, has reached the gold master stage of development and is now entering manufacturing. Supreme Commander offers unprecedented scope and scale, superior RTS command and control and three unique single player campaigns. Developed for Windows PC, the game is scheduled to ship to retail outlets worldwide on February 20.

Hell yes. I've been playing the beta since it first started and I can't wait for this game. I'm in the process of building a new rig for it at the moment. February 20th is going to be a long, extremely fun night.

Does anyone know the minimum reqs?
GPG hasn't released them for the release version. As of beta v49, these were the specs:
* Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP2 recommended)
* Processor: 1.8 GHz or greater; 3.0 Ghz or greater, dual core, recommended
* RAM: 512 MB or greater; 2 GB recommended
* Hard Drive: 3 GB available hard disk space
* Video: GeForce 6000 and up, or ATI 9600 and up required (128 MB video RAM or greater, with Vertex Shader / Pixel Shader 2.0 support). ATI X800 XL or greater, nVidia GeForce 6800 or greater recommended
* Audio: Sound card or on-board audio component, speakers or headphones
* Internet: 56.6 Kbps Internet connection required; Cable/DSL speeds with 24 Kbps upstream per opponent recommended.
(source)

However, those almost invariably will change with the final release. GPG hasn't been particularly forthcoming about system requirements during the beta. The only reason they released them when v49 was released was due to a change that made previously supported graphics cards no longer work.

Either way, the system requirements are likely to be pretty beefy: especially for the larger map sizes.

Should I be able to run at 1680/1050 with decent frames on medium quality? I have a x2 3800, 2gb ram, and a 7800gt. Would I need to get a second gfx card to do this?

Should I be able to run at 1680/1050 with decent frames on medium quality? I have a x2 3800, 2gb ram, and a 7800gt. Would I need to get a second gfx card to do this?

You will be fine that will run it nice and smooth. Just dont expect to run dual screen on high settings. If you have onboard sound I recommend getting a dedicated sound card, I have noticed while testing beta that my system shutters on sound and slows down because of it. My system is a 3.55ghz e6600 with a 8800GTS and 2gbs of ram, I purchased a dedicated sound card to free up resources on the system. I figured having 5k units on the screen all making sounds will stress to the limits any onboard sound. Will report back if I notice any FPS gains which I am sure I will in the larger maps with tons of units.

How does gameplay work in this game? Is it like Starcraft? I saw the trailer for it and it doesnt seem any resources are involved unless its like COH or DOW where there is capture points.

Starcraft is more micro tasking... Supcom can only be described more like Total Annihilation. Resource system is pretty easy to pickup; Mass and Energy are the two needed resources. The best way I can describe the game is like a C&C like game but on a bigger scale with more units, bigger maps, less lag, and better game overall. The netcode well done after they worked out all the previous bugs the game however is very dependent on the CPU. If you have a slower single core CPU I recommend getting a core 2 duo.

How much tougher is it on the vid card to run 2 monitors vs 1 in this game?

So there is an actual open-beta out for this game? If so I can't wait to get it after I get bootcamp going on my laptop this weekend! Going to drive me crazy waiting till Feb 20th.

im really stuck between this and rogue galaxy for PS2 both of which will probably be most excellent games... 20th of Feb... that's also close to valentine's! <groan>

I've heard with two monitors you can either stretch the battle space across both monitors or run a tactical map on the secondary display, is this the case?

I hope my system will be able to handle the multi-monitor setup. It should, but you never know.

You can run 1 render on the primary and on the secondary monitor another full rendered game as well, you can also run a split screen on the main with a secondary full render. You cant spread out it over 2 screens sharing the same render as far as I know. I have screen shots of running a dual monitor setup on an earlier version of supcom to give you an idea of it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1105674&page=15

You can run 1 render on the primary and on the secondary monitor another full rendered game as well, you can also run a split screen on the main with a secondary full render. You cant spread out it over 2 screens sharing the same render as far as I know. I have screen shots of running a dual monitor setup on an earlier version of supcom to give you an idea of it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1105674&page=15
I'm putting together a system with very similar specs to yours. Do you have any issues with using dual screens for supcom on the 8800GTS? That's what I'm going to be picking up and I'm hoping to run the game at high detail on dual monitors at 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 respectively. I don't mind toning down the AA or turning it off if necessary, but high detail on everything else would be great. Since I'm currently running it on my AGP 6600gt, EVERYTHING is on low or off (and only my primary monitor is used) so it'll be a big improvement no matter what. I know you mentioned earlier in this thread that a dedicated soundcard helps, but I already have an X-Fi so no worries there.

I'm putting together a system with very similar specs to yours. Do you have any issues with using dual screens for supcom on the 8800GTS? That's what I'm going to be picking up and I'm hoping to run the game at high detail on dual monitors at 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 respectively. I don't mind toning down the AA or turning it off if necessary, but high detail on everything else would be great. Since I'm currently running it on my AGP 6600gt, EVERYTHING is on low or off (and only my primary monitor is used) so it'll be a big improvement no matter what. I know you mentioned earlier in this thread that a dedicated soundcard helps, but I already have an X-Fi so no worries there.

You shouldnt have many problems running dual screen on those resolutions. I believe however you may need to turn off AA and verticle sync to keep the FPS higher on those resolutions. OCing the 8800GTS to give it a little more power would help as well.

So there is an actual open-beta out for this game? If so I can't wait to get it after I get bootcamp going on my laptop this weekend! Going to drive me crazy waiting till Feb 20th.

All slots were filled a couple months ago.

which reminds me, im going to go play supreme commander beta before it closes due to the game going retail.. na naaa na naaa naaa :p :D :D ;) :D

You shouldnt have many problems running dual screen on those resolutions. I believe however you may need to turn off AA and verticle sync to keep the FPS higher on those resolutions. OCing the 8800GTS to give it a little more power would help as well.
That's more or less what I expected. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not an IQ whore so turning off AA isn't an issue and I usually disable vsync anyway (CRT monitors). Plus, I spend most of my time in strategic view anyway, so I'm not going to miss the doodads. :p

I have NEVER EVER liked RTS's.. is this going to be so good that it may change my mind you think? I suppose if everything was awesome like gameplay and gfx it might change my mind. maybe ill wait for a demo :)

I have NEVER EVER liked RTS's.. is this going to be so good that it may change my mind you think? I suppose if everything was awesome like gameplay and gfx it might change my mind. maybe ill wait for a demo :)

It is amazing, but if you do not like RTS games i doubt you will like this one. The economy for one thing, has more depth in it then most RTS games do alone. Definatly give it a try, but if you dont like strategy dont expect this to change your mind.

You may like it since Supreme Commander has more large scale battles and less micro management.

I'm one of those poor students with an older, incrementally upgraded system. My specs are:

3.0 GHz P4 Hyperthreaded CPU, non-LGA775 :(
2.5 GB DDR RAM
non-RAID HDD system
GF6800GS video card

Is this gonna suck? Tell me this isn't gonna suck. I can't really afford to drop any cash on a new system, and I have obviously reached the point where I can't effectively upgrade any farther. Basically I am concerned that the single-core CPU is gonna wreck my experience, but I am hoping otherwise.

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

Download this and run the 1meg test and then tell me your result. I can get a better idea how you will run supreme commander with that result. I have a secondary computer with a 6800GT and socket 754 3000+ oced to 2.7ghz and 1gb of ram. I get a super pi of 33.00-34.00s, it runs supcom pretty nicely on 2v2 matches on 20x20 maps on medium graphic settings.

I'm one of those poor students with an older, incrementally upgraded system. My specs are:

3.0 GHz P4 Hyperthreaded CPU, non-LGA775 :(
2.5 GB DDR RAM
non-RAID HDD system
GF6800GS video card

Is this gonna suck? Tell me this isn't gonna suck. I can't really afford to drop any cash on a new system, and I have obviously reached the point where I can't effectively upgrade any farther. Basically I am concerned that the single-core CPU is gonna wreck my experience, but I am hoping otherwise.
You'll be able to run it better than I currently do. As I stated before I have a 6600gt which is really showing its age of late, but it still runs the game albeit on low detail. Also, I have a A64 3200+ single core and it lags a bit later on in 2v2 games, but the HT and extra 1.5gb of RAM should help with that. I wouldn't advise you try out really large scale maps until you can upgrade, but you'll be able to enjoy the "smaller" battles.

I believe a A64 3200+ will outperform a P4 @3.0ghz by a good deal in games. However the HT may come into play helping the P4.

I've heard with two monitors you can either stretch the battle space across both monitors or run a tactical map on the secondary display, is this the case?

I hope my system will be able to handle the multi-monitor setup. It should, but you never know.

Are you serious? Damn that means I have to somehow get to the very back of my storage space and get out my other monitor. I tried dual screen gamming before, but it was kinda lame. This sounds like it would be worth it.

Are you serious? Damn that means I have to somehow get to the very back of my storage space and get out my other monitor. I tried dual screen gamming before, but it was kinda lame. This sounds like it would be worth it.

Its definately nice thats for sure, I would recommend hooking up a second monitor if your system can handle dual screen.

Back